• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details

external hard disk crashed

ashintomson

Journeyman
guys my frnd gav me his hdd to copy some movies and project files so when i connected it in my computer it was working perfectly after copying i was extraing some rar files to his hdd suddenly extraction gt stuck i disconnected hdd then i plugged it again it tells u hav to format the drive to use it :( wht to do now ?? there are important data in hdd guy help

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: external crashed ??? HELP !!!

format it & then try recuva. you should be able to recover almost all the files.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

install any free file recovery software like recuva(google freeware file recovery).run the program & let it scan target hard disk.it should be able to recover most files.also do not save the recovered files on same hard disk.

@sam,format should be the last resort in my opinion as per my experience.

OP
ashintomson

ashintomson

Journeyman

cant recover folder by folder using recuva ... no other way to make work with out formating ??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

try an error scan on that drive. else try the method suggested by whitestar.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Quick format it, formatting will be more taxing.

R studio file recovery is another good software.

OP
ashintomson

ashintomson

Journeyman

hey guys thanks 4 ur suggestions ... my hdd is working finely now dnt ask me how coz i donno it jst happened *thank god*

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^glad that your problem is solved.

format the drive to use it :( wht to do now ?? there are important data in hdd guy help
Never ever format the drive in this case bcoz files will be there still..& use recovery softwares (coz they can read those error drive easily) to recover...:cool:

this method saved me many times from data loss :grin:

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
Even this problem happened to my 2nd HDD also. So whenever such thing happens, I just disconnect that HDD, go to my friends home and connect there and check it whether working. And amazing thing that I have found that it works as expected. No CRASH actually happens. :)

And IMHO, formatting and recovery should ALWAYS BE considered as a last alternate, not the first. Period.

Top Bottom