Etiquette in digital communities

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
What improves digital community experiences, please contribute

Swear words : please to use sparingly in images and words. Might drive away some kinds of people, there are very young and very old people in all communities, keep that in mind.

Always be at your best behavior : this is a no brainer. Most digital communities are not 4chan.

Calling out names : not good form unless you know that person in real life or are good friends. Edit : use an @ and address em directly instead

Don't be a gammer nazi : not everyone knows or spraks english. It's not the first language for many... Be accomodative

English please : impolite to use local languages on a public forum. At least provide translation.

Sharing private conversations : might be hilarious, but if it is not anonymous, it can be hurtful. This included private communication between a company and an individual. Tpb publishing legal threats - illustrative and stupid, but not cool bro. Caps of ban messages, pms, chats, share publicly after much deliberation.

Don't gang up against nubs - give em a chance, encourage them. Seen too many people disappearing after a few posts.

Using casual language/ netspeek / sms language : divided on this one. Changes the tone of a serious discussion, is difficult to read, but easy to type for those using mobiles. Use with discretion

Some things are private - piracy, pr0n, and some other things are not any body else's bussiness. Nobody cares.

Flash

Lost in speed
Or we should say "Digiquette" :lol:

Don't be a gammer nazi : not everyone knows or spraks english. It's not the first language for many... Be accomodative
I don't know whether you did it intentionally or in error, but am not a g-nazi though! :|

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ the point is to get the point across.

Too many silly posts lately. Don't make those outside the Chit-Chat section.

Nice reminder for all :)

one more rule: always back your opinion with personal experience, links to trustworthy websites/blogs, technical papers or benchmarks.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
And a little bit formatting, like the original post is written. splitted in many lines, and extra newlines between every lines. I saw many of us write huge text in a single paragraph, generally I gave up reading that. It is painfull for eyes as well as mind. :-|

Flash

Lost in speed
I comment mostly on chit-chat section, including this thread and i've suggested a word "Digiquette", before pointing that error/intentional word.

darkv0id

Journeyman
Don't gang up against nubs - give em a chance, encourage them. Seen too many people disappearing after a few posts.

Cannot stress this enough. Being somewhat of a noob myself, I can give some perspective: most of the young 'uns (especially those who are new to online forums in general) join TDF because they are eager to learn more about tech in general, and not because they think along the lines of "OMG I'M DA ULTIMATE PWNZER I'MMA SHOW 'EM HOW IT's DONE".

So when a couple of guys with 2000+ posts gang up on a newbie, it immediately gives off an aura of hostility, and makes TDF look like a cabal- which it's clearly not. So the newbie will either retaliate-and get himself banned, or will simply leave.

P.S. Mods PLEASE make this thread a sticky.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Now this is something which makes complete sense.
How about making this thread as a sticky or adding to something like the Forum rules thread?

amjath

Human Spambot
^^ the point is to get the point across.

Too many silly posts lately. Don't make those outside the Chit-Chat section.

Off Topic thread was closed and never opened so thats the reason for many silly/off topic posts

Hrishi

Cannot stress this enough. Being somewhat of a noob myself, I can give some perspective: most of the young 'uns (especially those who are new to online forums in general) join TDF because they are eager to learn more about tech in general, and not because they think along the lines of "OMG I'M DA ULTIMATE PWNZER I'MMA SHOW 'EM HOW IT's DONE".

So when a couple of guys with 2000+ posts gang up on a newbie, it immediately gives off an aura of hostility, and makes TDF look like a cabal- which it's clearly not. So the newbie will either retaliate-and get himself banned, or will simply leave.

P.S. Mods PLEASE make this thread a sticky.

Totally agree with you.It's very important to encourage and interact with newbies.
Honestly, We don't see much new members with increasing posts , instead its either the new members who disappear after a li'l while or the old guns who talk within the'mselves.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
+1 to Sticky request.
BTW, found out, i was commenting so much in hindi. Will try my best to post only in English.

and calling out names.
like if i want to say something (reply) to a particular member I generally quote the post, but sometimes, i just write "@<username>" followed by the reply.
Is that Ok ??? :confused:

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
What improves digital community experiences, please contribute

Swear words : please to use sparingly in images and words. Might drive away some kinds of people, there are very young and very old people in all communities, keep that in mind.

Always be at your best behavior : this is a no brainer. Most digital communities are not 4chan.

Calling out names : not good form unless you know that person in real life or are good friends.

English please : impolite to use local languages on a public forum. At least provide translation.

Sharing private conversations : might be hilarious, but if it is not anonymous, it can be hurtful. This included private communication between a company and an individual. Tpb publishing legal threats - illustrative and stupid, but not cool bro. Caps of ban messages, pms, chats, share publicly after much deliberation.

Using casual language/ netspeek / sms language : divided on this one. Changes the tone of a serious discussion, is difficult to read, but easy to type for those using mobiles. Use with discretion

Some things are private - piracy, pr0n, and some other things are not any body else's bussiness. Nobody cares.

There is one member here who does this alot

Flash

Lost in speed
like if i want to say something (reply) to a particular member I generally quote the post, but sometimes, i just write "@<username>" followed by the reply.
What's wrong in it! It will come in handy, when the tagging feature is implemented.. :)

Flash

Lost in speed
is the tagging feature really in the pipeline ??
awesome news..
:razz:
Not in pipeline, but so many members asked about that feature in "*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/feedback/161295-all-new-tdf-new-features-theme-suggestions.html". Yet no reply on that.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
and calling out names.
Is that Ok ??? :confused:

Yep addressing them directly with an @ is perfectly ok

Top Bottom