Ethernet Port of laptop fried. Any alternatives?

desijoker

Broken In
Hi...due to thundering, my wireless router and my laptop's ethernet port fried yesterday.
I use broadband with CAT5 cable(kinda LAN cable only).
Now dunno how to use internet :( .. I bought usb to ethernet adopter..but loose connection every few seconds..dunno what to do :(
any solution or advice?
btw i have hp dv5 series laptop.

UPDATE:
Got a replacement for my wireless router..Today also thunderstorm started..so I switched off the switch..but forgot to pull the plug.within few seconds
sme shitty thunderstorm hit near my place and I lost my 2TB hard disk..new replaced wireless router.. JBL speakers and all USB ports,HDMI,firewire,memory card slot of my lappy but dunno how motherboard survived and laptop is working fine!!!
Tell me if it is not my bad luck!
Had collected so many stuffs on that 2TB HDD..lost everything within a second. btw all the plugs were connected to 2 surge protectors..but still they couldnt protect them :( :( :( :(

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
check drivers for the converter. also check if HP covers warranty on lightning damage.

for router you need to buy a new one. most companies wont replace router damage caused by lightning.

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
Well I had bought a new Asus wireless router 6 days ago :( ..damn...
I gave it to Asus service centre ..they said they will let me know by tomorrow. but i didnt mention that lightening caused it..
btw Wifi does work and i can browse internet through it but sometimes speed drops down like hell..and it happens frequently..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
cross your fingers that they just think its a defective unit and replace it with a new one. wifi issue might be from a interference from another wifi network, just change the channel in the router and try.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Well I had bought a new Asus wireless router 6 days ago :( ..damn...
I gave it to Asus service centre ..they said they will let me know by tomorrow. but i didnt mention that lightening caused it..
btw Wifi does work and i can browse internet through it but sometimes speed drops down like hell..and it happens frequently..

Thats smart. Talk to HP too see if they change the Motherboard. Is it under warranty?

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
Thats smart. Talk to HP too see if they change the Motherboard. Is it under warranty?

nope..not under warranty..motherboard looks fine but somehow only Ethernet brain fried up..lan port shows continuous orange light..no blink at all..it doesnt matter whether cable is connected or not.
Seriously bad luck man..actually extra voltage passed through CAT5 cable from broadband ppl and my whole electronic equipment is connected to 2 surge protectors :( so there is no way it came through electric connection...seriously bad luck...

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I connect my LAN through a Belkin Gold surge protector,it stops any act of god coming through the CAT5 too! I thought its useless, now Im glad that I bought it.

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
and can i sue broadband ppl if i proved that their cable caused the problem and my loss? :p

I connect my LAN through a Belkin Gold surge protector,it stops any act of god coming through the CAT5 too! I thought its useless, now Im glad that I bought it.

I also googled for that few hrs ago...it is costly but now it i know it is damn important..!! God knows how to screw us in many ways!

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
and any other alternative for LAN port? usb to lan adapter seriously doesnt work..
S**t..it started raining again!! :( ...now I am so scared of rain man...

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
Hmm...its a 4yr old lappy..dont want to invest much..but even now runs all latest games at medium settings..dunno what to do with it.
Thanks guys for replying..hopefully God will show mercy this time and my router will be replaced :)

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
On topic
@OP try getting that port fixed by HP and IMO you will need new router :D
Always connect via Wi-Fi :D

HP charges alot man..thats the problem.they have checking charge...then opening charge..then repairing charge..dunno what all charges...
will go to SP road in blore...charges will be lower

Top Bottom