Enable Hotmail POP3 and SMTP Support for free

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ankitsagwekar

Hotmail (actual name Windows Live Hotmai which formerly knowns as Windows Live Hotmail) has officially added free POP3 and SMTP feature support which used to available to Hotmail Plus paid subscribers. With Hotmail POP3 support and turned on, users can download the mail messages to desktop or mobile email clients such as to Outlook without using Office Outlook Connector or iPhone, or consolidate all email messages into another email service provider’s mailbox, such as Gmail.
The POP3 and SMTP support for Hotmail will be rolled out gradually to all users. Initially, only users in United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, Japan, Spain, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands will have the POP3 feature enabled on Hotmail account for free. Hotmail users from other countries will have to wait longer to enjoy the free POP3 and SMTP protocol access.
For user who can’t wait, and want to enable POP3 and SMTP access on Hotmail now, here’s the trick to force enable and turn on POP3 and SMTP support on all Hotmail account, regardless of location or country.
Login to Hotmail.
Mouse over Options, and then click on More Options.

Click on View and edit your personal information link under “Manger your account” section.
Click on Registered Information link

For both Home Location and Work Location, change the following details to specified values
Postal Code: WC1B 3DG
Constituent Country: England
Time zone: London, United Kingdom - GMT
Click on Save when done.
Go back to Hotmail, and ensure that the display language of Hotmail is set to English by mouse over the Options.
to setup mail client to access Windows Live Hotmail account, use the following Hotmail POP3 and SMTP configuration settings:
Incoming [FONT="Trebuchet MS","Bitstream Vera Sans",Verdana,Arial,"Lucida Sans","Lucida Sans Unicode",Helvetica,sans-serif]Server[/FONT] (POP3 Server): pop3.live.com
Incoming Server POP Port: 995
Incoming Server POP SSL Encryption: Yes (On or Required)
Outgoing Server (SMTP Server): smtp.live.com
Outgoing Server SMTP Port: 25
Outgoing Server Authentication: Yes (On - Use POP username and password or Hotmail credentials)
Outgoing Server TLS or SSL Secure Encrypted Connection: Yes (On or Required)
User Name: Windows Live ID (e.g. yourname@hotmail.com)
Password: password used to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live service
Once Hotmail POP3 and SMTP support is enable on the account, it’s possible to change and revert back to your original web interface language, home and work location.

Support ankit360.blog.co.in visit our partners

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Actual source is:
*windowslivewire.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2F7EB29B42641D59!32413.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=501133765

And this feature is currently available for:
United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, Japan, Spain, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands.

Microsoft will be rolling POP3 out to more parts of the world later this year.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ ankitsagwekar - Mention the original source from next time & post the full news.

Thanks ravi for mentiong the original source.

Let's see when this feature will be available for us.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Hmmm.......wonder what's in for Hotmail Plus user's like myself. I do not want to be paying USD 20.00 for nothing!
From the looks of it, it is for nothing.
  • 10 GB of storage
  • No account expiration*
  • No ads from other companies, just tips and product info from Microsoft
  • File attachments up to 20 MB—send more photos, more documents, or almost anything you want

PaulBarber

Broken In
can i now use outlook express again for hotmail ?

is that free ?

can anyone tell me how can i set up outlook express to use hotmail ..

Man!!..u bring tears to my eyes..Hotmail with Outlook Express is a deadly combo. Really feel for u brother. Sorry cud'nt resist.:D

I really thought nobody uses hotmail nowadays. None of my friends do. Surprising to see tech savvy people are still using hotmail. Maybe I was underestimating hotmail. Maybe we shud start a poll to see what e-mail people use.

PS: I dont intend to start a flame war. I'm not against hotmail...just that I really thought no one uses it.

One more PS: Regarding your query, yes, you can use Outlook express and configure it to use hotmail account, but it would be safer to use some other email client (say Thunderbird).

To configure hotmail, just add a new e-mail account, give the pop and smtp servers and ports as given in the parent post. Didnt try it, but I dont see any complications.

Last edited:
^^@gx: Agree. It can access hotmail and live without any problem and can also use POP3/IMAP accounts. And the interface of the 3rd wave of live products is really simplified. One thing that i like in Thunderbird is the ability to check even yahoo non premium accounts using some plugin, otherwise i dont like the interface much, i personally feel its a bit cluttered in comparison to live mail desktop.
And i was a bit surprised to see that WIndows Mobile 6 and up based phones can access yahoo non-premium accounts using IMAP without problems. But its too good.

@ankit: Hey are you the same person, ankit360 on XDA forums? Nice to see you here man :)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
For a casual home user, Windows Live Mail Desktop is the best

I don't agree. Gmail + Thunderbird make a deadly competition which is not only easy to use but damn powerful.

Only thing I complain is that Thunderbird gives POP3 with Gmail by default rather than IMAP.
Though it's a breeze to set up.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
If you can't easily use what's the power for?

Read my post again. I said not only is it easy to use but is also very powerful.
It means it's easy and powerful as well.

EDIT: Maybe I went a little overboard by describing Gmail in a hotmail thread. I have no intention of hijacking the thread. Apologies to anyone I offend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom