Effin Youtube suspended my bloody account!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Is this what I get for posting my own new year mix of trance music? Armada Music labels apparently thought that it would be fun to kill a budding DJ and they informed Youtube to suspend my account due to "copyright infringement". How in the world is that possible if I PAID for each and every song in MY compilation and never used any copyrighted images?

All my personal videos, some of which were over 2 years old have been rendered inaccessible in one stroke. A subscriber base of over 250 (and growing) - gone! A million+ views of my videos - gone! Contacts that had been established with other wannabe DJs around the world - gone! Tons of links on my myspace page to my YT videos - gone!

Time to head over to Dailymotion or Vimeo where DJs are given some respect, unlike the bozos at YT who seem to be permanently in bed with industry bigwigs and major record labels.

VD17

Journeyman
Armada, huh? isn't that the label armin van buuren launches under. I am curious though, do DJs need a specific license to create mixes of tracks and to play at gatherings and distribution. Because if you're creating a mix with the songs, you're still bound under the one owner rules. You technically can't broadcast or distribute it unless you have permission, whether it's in a mix or not. This is just my guess on this issue, though. Youtube should have sent a warning and given you a chance to remove the videos, though.

OP
G

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Armada, huh? isn't that the label armin van buuren launches under. I am curious though, do DJs need a specific license to create mixes of tracks and to play at gatherings and distribution. Because if you're creating a mix with the songs, you're still bound under the one owner rules. You technically can't broadcast or distribute it unless you have permission, whether it's in a mix or not. This is just my guess on this issue, though. Youtube should have sent a warning and given you a chance to remove the videos, though.

I had used AvB's Going Wrong as my intro song and had another track from the Armada library [Fei-Fei's Ender (DJ Preach Remix)] in there.
Technically, DJs do need a specific license to play mixes. However, if the radio station/club/event that you play at has a license, then it would cover what all DJs would play at that radio station/club/event. I've played my stuff as a support DJ at a couple of clubs in Atlanta in the past without any problems.
The funny thing is, YT never sent me a request to remove to the offending video but rather deleted the video themselves. A bit of Googling reveals that YT have a "one major strike/three minor strikes and you're out" policy. I'm guessing that highly popular videos are classified as major strikes.

I've created another account on YT but guess I'll be posting my stuff on Vimeo from hereon. Building up a dedicated audience might be a problem though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom