Efficiency of PSU

auto

Broken In
Hi guys
I am posting this thread just for increase knowledge about PSU.
The regular power supply comes with the cabinet are very cheap compare to the high-end PSU. Why?

The regular 450W PSU is around 0.5K-0.6K and the same high end more than 2K. Why this difference....?

In high-end psu like GIGABYTE Superb 460W is around ~2.3K, iBall 450 is ~2K but Corsair VX450 and Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460W are ~3.7-3.9K. Why this difference again....?

And what this efficiency concept in PSU, the "80 plus", that it must be more than 80% efficient.

I go through this Ecos Plug Load Solutions
But cant understand well.

Piyush

Lanaya
what matters is this:
-->efficiency
-->type of material used...i.e. cheap or good
-->expected life of respected parts
-->proper and continuous supply of quality current
-->and to some extent....warranty

rest info is here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/104472-basic-guide-right-power-supply.html

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hello auto,

The PSU price depends on lots of things
low priced PSU are generally cheap in materials & cant live long
where high-priced PSU have good quality materials(capacitors,wires,resistors,transformers,coils etc)

but good brands also test their PSU & give warranty

for e.g: corsair VX series PSU give 5yrs of warranty coz they r sure dat their VX series will run efficiently upto 5yrs or more

masterkd

Padawan
you can't draw full power from a low end psu on the other hand high end psu can be overloaded upto a bit..the prime factor of high end psu is continuous supply of clean and efficient power!!

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
It's the quality of PSU that changes the price

moreover higher cost PSU have some ISO standards and Quality check passed which local ones don't

and high cost psu uses high end power electronics components --> means more efficiency and reliability--->greater product quality and safety

some local psu don't work properly in some voltage conditions.For eg my low cost psu spoiled because i used my pc in inverter.But high cost psu will sustain such conditions.

slashragnarok

In the zone
A good PSu costs more because its parts are more expensive(hence better) and the workers/machines manufacturing the PSU are better at making PSUs. So it works better.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ yes. & you get roughly the same output. With a local psu, you get half output but they draw more than their rated input.

Top Bottom