Easiest way to install Linux??

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Journeyman
I have a Conpaq M2000 Presaio laptop.It came bundled with Mandrake C.D's,but on my request had Winddows XP installed on it.However,Since I have to use the net a lot,security remains a chronic issue.
Can you please help with the installion of the mandrake C.D's without any fuss whatsoever.I would like to keep the Windows on a separate partition.It would be really appreciable if you could give me a step by step guide.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Just go to windows disk management and create an empty partition of atleast 10GB. More the better. Do not format it to any filesystem then go about installing with Mandriva CD. It would be better to get a newer version of some linux and use it due to many reasons.

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
O.K.Thanks.Can you suggest some newer version but will be light on the system.It should be compatible with,Reliance data card,B.Band from BSNL,& printer.
Also please be kind to let me know the source to procure the same.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Ubuntu is the one you should go for. You will love it. I don't know about compatibility about Data Card coz i don't have one. but it should work. If have any problem, Just ASK. we will be more than happy to help you out.. :)

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
tech_your_future said:
Just go to windows disk management and create an empty partition of atleast 10GB. More the better. Do not format it to any filesystem then go about installing with Mandriva CD. It would be better to get a newer version of some linux and use it due to many reasons.
^^ Same here.

amitava82

MMO Addict
i've given you the link. here is a direct ftp link: *ftp.ale.org/mirrors/ubuntu-releases/edgy/ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso

if you have slow connection then you can request a cd from ubuntu site or request in the distro request thread.

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
@Harpoon: PClinuxOS is also new and light. :)

BTW, if you choose Ubuntu, choose the Xubuntu flavour if your machine is old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom