EA just went full retard

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Good that I no longer play BF 3. Got one more reason to withdraw completely.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Seriously this is just ridiculous :-x

I always buy legit NFS games but looks like that is gonna change from now one :(

And IMO a 133% increase in price is just NUTS :|

Looks like I will have to buy Rivals when it is 50% off which will also be 1750Rs i.e higher than 1500 the previous cost.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
There won't be a true boycott IMHO, but there will be a lot of piracy that's for sure.

^ True that, but my point was more along the lines of the oppressive DRM which EA employs. They usually justify it by citing losses due to piracy, so if we pirate a game they will use it as an excuse to pile on even more DRM. IMO if one does not agree with the DRM and pricing policies, it's better to avoid playing the game altogether, rather than pirating it. Easier said than done, I know.

Completely agree.. They have already started implemeting multiplayer or online aspects into normal single player games.. to combat piracy. This can been seen through their recent games.. simcity, deadspace etc... Once the kill the concept of single player.. people will be forced to buy games....

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Well you still have AI in SP which is same as players in MP :p
I am not sure how much this is true for a racing game (in context) but its definitely absurd in a FPS

Completely agree.. They have already started implemeting multiplayer or online aspects into normal single player games.. to combat piracy. This can been seen through their recent games.. simcity, deadspace etc... Once the kill the concept of single player.. people will be forced to buy games....

its called DRM, JFYI incase you arent aware of the term.

its called DRM, JFYI incase you arent aware of the term.

:lol: yes I am aware of it... and btw I have worked in the company in discussion... So i know some thing bout games. I was saying that multiplayer is being used as an excuse for DRM. Also Dead space did not have the so called DRM, but still had online elements like in-game purchases or multiplayer... which would discourage piracy.
I am not bashing EA, but saying that game devs are decreasing the single player component of games and prioritizing multiplayer/ online requirements (like in-app purchases and features like online co-op in campaigns) ... to discourage piracy.
I may be wrong but all recent games, including some rpgs are having more online elements.. even when it costs more to maintain servers and software to support these features..
With failure of the different kinds of DRM.. companies are trying these tactics

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
:lol: yes I am aware of it... and btw I have worked in the company in discussion... So i know some thing bout games. I was saying that multiplayer is being used as an excuse for DRM. Also Dead space did not have the so called DRM, but still had online elements like in-game purchases or multiplayer... which would discourage piracy.
I am not bashing EA, but saying that game devs are decreasing the single player component of games and prioritizing multiplayer/ online requirements (like in-app purchases and features like online co-op in campaigns) ... to discourage piracy.
I may be wrong but all recent games, including some rpgs are having more online elements.. even when it costs more to maintain servers and software to support these features..
With failure of the different kinds of DRM.. companies are trying these tactics

I believe there are two things to it - Social gaming and constant money making even after selling the product.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
*au.businessinsider.com/ea-voted-worst-company-in-america-2013-4 we can't expect any better ...:(

I believe there are two things to it - Social gaming and constant money making even after selling the product.

I agree.. but I was talking about the increase in these practices in hardcore games.... the online requirement in simcity was not presented as DRM by the Company..but as a social gaming feature...
Same has been done with the always online requirement of XBOX.. it was pushed forward as a feature for persistent game world and social gaming....
I am not saying all social features in all the games are being used as DRM.. its just that these features are taking center stage instead of being optional feature. Why couldnt the social option be personal...
Since the companies have tried in the past to implement DRM and faced backlash.. they are "exploiting" the multiplayer, social gaming, in-game purchases etc...
Also they hit two birds with a shot... decrease piracy and create the opportunity for constant money making (as you said)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am afraid that such trends will trigger another Video Game crash like it happened in the 1980s during the time of ATARI.

North American video game crash of 1983 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then it was because of the low quality of the games, now it would be because of high prices of games (leading to rampant piracy).

Saumil996

Journeyman
Found this

EA faces backlash in India over price hike - VR-Zone

Can't EA just put a system in place where a person from india can only buy from the origin india store?

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
If price wont fall in future , I will manage to get bf4 @ 30-35$ but downloading 30gb+ game @ 512 kbps is pain in the @ss . bf4 is too good to boycott . Ofc i have already made my mind not to buy nfs rival ( no matter hw awesome is the mp) and fifa 14

dan4u

Took Off!!!
I am afraid that such trends will trigger another Video Game crash like it happened in the 1980s during the time of ATARI.

North American video game crash of 1983 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then it was because of the low quality of the games, now it would be because of high prices of games (leading to rampant piracy).

The price of EA games have only increased in India, elsewhere it still remains the same i.e $50-60 .... people outside are used to this. But there are some who saw the low prices in origin India and brought from there. Especially bf3, they want to avoid that :mad: .... and in turn screwed us over

heidi2521

Padawan
Found this

EA faces backlash in India over price hike - VR-Zone

Can't EA just put a system in place where a person from india can only buy from the origin india store?

They do have that in place. It is just too damn easy to circumvent. All you need is a Proxy/VPN and a Pizzeria's address or a friend/contact in India who will buy the game for you and email the CD key.

Piyush

Lanaya
hmm, so BF3 will stay alive for a year & more in Asian market :p

the pricing, is it more than console games? If so I'd rather get a console. why spend any money on graphics card, CPU, RAM... ?

But i think this is EA playing safe, like our Govt :lol:
hike the price a lot & then when we protest, reduce it in such a way we still settle for a overpriced pos. :p
So my thinking is, EA will reduce the price by 500-1000, so 3500 game will be sold at 3k-2.5k. What we'd see is the massive difference of 1k in pricing & ...

this.

Top Bottom