dvd writers - Which one to buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyCo

In the zone
I had a Lite-on writer, purchased January 2006.

I started having tray (eject) problems for the past 3-4 months. The Lite-On center says it cannot be fixed.
----------------------------------------

Now i have to buy a new wrtier.

My dealer (S'tech in Pune) supplies :

LG - Rs. 1300
Sony - Rs. 1500
Asus - Rs. 1800 (SATA 18x, Lightscribe)

I dont care which one, but i want one that lasts and doesnt create READ problems ..

I read and copy, much more than i write.

The last option is to get Lite-On from somewhere else, which i really dont prefer.

Any suggestions ???

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
sony one.BTW I have never seen the kinda problem you described with lite-on in my entire life.Must be a standalone defective piece.

elator

Broken In
hmmmm....
iam having a prob wit my dvd writer...
nero shows its writin at 18x ....
but it takes a hr to fin writing....
i cant seem to rectify it...!!
thanks for ur help in advance...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah aren't ASUS ones based on Pioneer drives? They should beat Sony hands down provided its the right model! Am afraid I don't know much about their models but they sure are the best.

assasin

Banned
gulgulumaal said:
Mostly Sony drives are rebranded Lite-Ons, so if u dont want to buy Lite-On, dont buy Sony either.

that was true till sometime ago but now SONY jointy manufactures its drives in collaboration with NEC.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
assasin said:
that was true till sometime ago but now SONY jointy manufactures its drives in collaboration with NEC.

THat shd b really good, coz in all my search comparisons on google, NEC was very good.

ne1 else ?? ne comments ??

Last edited:

gulgulumaal

Broken In
assasin said:

Yeah but still somehow the drives are same as Lite-Ons :(
Recently I bought a Sony NEC DVDRW (Optiarc DVD RW AD7190A) which in the end turned out to be a rebranded Lite-On!!..forgot the Lite-on model number though

assasin

Banned
the Asus DRW-1814BLT (SATA) is performing well.its detecting the cds and dvds faster than my Sony dvd writer (PATA).
didnt buy the AW-G170S cuz my vendor said as of late the drive is having a few firmware probs.burn quality is not upto the mark with all dvd media.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
does it make that much difference in SATA ?? coz the writer is still going to write at the same speed right ?

kranti

Broken In
I am having problem with my Sony DVD writter.It is not recognising CDs though it recognises DVDs. I am using WinVista OS. Is it due to OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom