dvd writers - Which one to buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
a_tif said:
which ever brand u buy try going for a sata version

SATA version's only advantage is thinner cable.

Writers max data bandwidth is 20Mbps and PATA has 100Mbps, SATA has 133Mbps.

writer cannot even utilize full speed of PATA, why should we pay 400-500 bucks extra for that?

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
?

desiibond said:
SATA version's only advantage is thinner cable.

Writers max data bandwidth is 20Mbps and PATA has 100Mbps, SATA has 133Mbps.

writer cannot even utilize full speed of PATA, why should we pay 400-500 bucks extra for that?

exactly what i want to know.

Last edited:

assasin

Banned
desiibond said:
why should we pay 400-500 bucks extra for that?

now who told u that the diff between a sata and pata dvd writer is 400-500 bucks????:shock:

pata dvd writer comes for bout 1400 bucks.u can get sata dvd writer for 1500 bucks and lightscribe one for 1600 bucks..
now u tell me why sudnt one buy a sata dvd writer?:D

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
I think PATA phaseout has started. Soon it will be only SATA.If you think you will be using your present computer for the next four or five years you can go for the PATA drive.If you are gonna change your motherboard in the next one or two years go for SATA. its all upto you.The only advantage is that the SATA cables being thin the inside is less cluttered and leaves room for better air circulation

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
Ponmayilal said:
I think PATA phaseout has started. Soon it will be only SATA.If you think you will be using your present computer for the next four or five years you can go for the PATA drive.If you are gonna change your motherboard in the next one or two years go for SATA. its all upto you.The only advantage is that the SATA cables being thin the inside is less cluttered and leaves room for better air circulation

So ur saying that the only reason one should buy a SATA writer is coz of space and the fact everything is SATA ..

It has nothing to do with the speed ??

Ne1 else commenting on brands ??

Otherwise it seems as if i shd go for ASUS DRW-1814BLT NOT AW-G170S

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
assasin said:
now who told u that the diff between a sata and pata dvd writer is 400-500 bucks????:shock:

pata dvd writer comes for bout 1400 bucks.u can get sata dvd writer for 1500 bucks and lightscribe one for 1600 bucks..
now u tell me why sudnt one buy a sata dvd writer?:D

I bought new dvd writer last weekend.

Sony DRU-190A cost : Rs.1450 (inclusive of taxes)
Sony Sata writer: Rs.1800 (inclusive of taxed)

I like the 190A writer. It's silent operation has surprised me. First time, I was confused whether it's burning or not. :)

assasin

Banned
@CyCo i'm returnig the Asus 1814BLT 2day for refund.the drive doesnt detect all types of media easily even aftr firmware update.burn quality is good but found a few probs with dvd detection.

ArZuNeOs

In the zone
elator said:
hmmmm....
iam having a prob wit my dvd writer...
nero shows its writin at 18x ....
but it takes a hr to fin writing....
i cant seem to rectify it...!!
thanks for ur help in advance...

I think U use Nero 7 bundled with ur Drive ....try other versions & post ur records

I too had the problem but then it was the version of nero which bugged me ...When i used 6 version...it was fine

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
elator said:
hmmmm....
iam having a prob wit my dvd writer...
nero shows its writin at 18x ....
but it takes a hr to fin writing....
i cant seem to rectify it...!!
thanks for ur help in advance...

This should be because UDMA mode is disabled for your writer.

How to enable DMA mode: *www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
assasin said:
@CyCo i'm returnig the Asus 1814BLT 2day for refund.the drive doesnt detect all types of media easily even aftr firmware update.burn quality is good but found a few probs with dvd detection.

which 1 would u recommend then ?

desiibond said:
Better go for Sony 190A writer. it's really good (IMHO).

how long have u been using it ??

ne1 else recommend this ?

Last edited:

assasin

Banned
@CyCo better get a LiteOn drive.they r very good.u'll geta sata lightscribe LiteOn dvd writer for 1600.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
assasin said:
@CyCo better get a LiteOn drive.they r very good.u'll geta sata lightscribe LiteOn dvd writer for 1600.

the thing is that my liteon is the one that went bad. though that was 1.5 yrs old, pata. but i have been having tray problems for the last 6 months and thats why my vendor has stopped keeping that.

@assasin what u u say abt. sony ?

assasin

Banned
^^^ sony also produces good drives.i'm using one for 2yrs(its a rebadged LiteOn though).didnt hav any probs as such with the drive.
i'll suggest that wat ever drive u buy,buy it froma reliable dealer who u'll refund u if u hav probs with the drive.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
Thats the problem .. so if i get it frm this very creliable dealer , my options are :

Lg -1400
Sony - 1500
Asus (SATA+LS) - 1800

Cost is not an issue, Asus is the only SATA unfortunately ..

Also, my friend said that LS is good on those cheap silver CD's we get in the market ?

assasin

Banned
afaik LS cd/dvds dont come cheap and they r not easily available.so ls sudnt be a feature which helps u in deciding a dvd writer.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
assasin said:
afaik LS cd/dvds dont come cheap and they r not easily available.so ls sudnt be a feature which helps u in deciding a dvd writer.

yup. so is it SOny or ASUS ... hmmmm.

any comments anyone ?? coz im gonna buy tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom