DVD Writer unable to read DVDs ,reads only CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklight

Journeyman
I am having a really wierd problem !! My Liteon DVD (18X) writer has started acting fussy all of a sudden and refuses to read DVDs.The surprising part is that it reads CDs (all kinds including RWs ) just fine.

For a bit of a background,yesterday evening i noticed that my DVD drive was being recognized as a SCSI Rom drive.After lots of driver installations/uninstallations i ended up reinstalling my OS.But still no luck so far.Whenever i insert a DVD, the explorer slows down for some time and finally ignores the disk..clicking the drive on My computer it says "insert disk"
Initially i thought it could be a problem with the lens...but then how is it that it reads CDs.

So anybody who can advise me on this ??

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Nothing new. Windows released some updates but it has some conflicts between PIO and DMA. The writer that you have- is it IDE or Sata. Also mentioned your OS with the sp.

OP
B

blacklight

Journeyman
I have a Liteon ( 18x )IDE DVD Writer .My M/b is Asus P5b Dlx . OS : WinXP with SP2 only (No new Win XP updates/hotfixes ) and i have windows automatic updates turned OFF

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Go to your bios and change the dvd driver settings to DMA mode. After that, go to device manager and change IDE/ATAPI controller's advance settings to DMA mode.

OP
B

blacklight

Journeyman
Thanks for the fast response sorcerer. In bios, its set in Auto mode ,but not sure about windows device manager settings.Since i am at work right now,will check those when i reach home. But what puzzles me is how are CDs being read ? Do reading CDs and DVDs use different circuitry or something ?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
No. There are 2 possibility- DMA/PIO conflict is the most common one which not many people bother to check. Second could be the dvd drive, though its reading cds, I dont think it could be a problem. There are times that DMA mode option doesnt work for many odd reasons. In this scenario you will have to try by checking out if other mode work in your case. The another best option is to move to sata dvd drive.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I am having a really wierd problem !! My Liteon DVD (18X) writer has started acting fussy all of a sudden and refuses to read DVDs.The surprising part is that it reads CDs (all kinds including RWs ) just fine.

For a bit of a background,yesterday evening i noticed that my DVD drive was being recognized as a SCSI Rom drive.After lots of driver installations/uninstallations i ended up reinstalling my OS.But still no luck so far.Whenever i insert a DVD, the explorer slows down for some time and finally ignores the disk..clicking the drive on My computer it says "insert disk"
Initially i thought it could be a problem with the lens...but then how is it that it reads CDs.

So anybody who can advise me on this ??
LOL, I can't imagine.

I have the SAME F***** problem since the last 6 months, I thought the lens was dirty.
The DVD Writer SIMPLY REFUSES to read ANY CD, only DVDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTH!!! is going on?? I can't read CDs even on uBuntu.

OP
B

blacklight

Journeyman
@Sorcerer
If DMA settings was the issue,the drive should atleast detect the DVDs.even if copy,read may be slow.

Yes,a new SATA drive would be a nice option,but i want to be completely sure that my DVD drive is screwed before i buy a new one.If the problem was due to some drive settings/OS related which could be solved , it would be a total waste of cash.

@comp addict: looks like we have two different ends of a problem and if these are solved, we both would end up with a complete drive :)

so did u make any progress in searching for a solution ?Did u say that while u were running a different OS(Ubuntu) ,u could not read CD's ??

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
@Sorcerer
If DMA settings was the issue,the drive should atleast detect the DVDs.even if copy,read may be slow.
No its random. That's why I also said if the troubleshoot advice I have given doesnt work, you would have to play around with different types of DMA settings on the bios. Sometimes doing exactly the opposite of an advice does work strangely. As for comp@ddict's issue it could be something else (either that or there must be something in linux but I am not into linux at all) since it is not working in linux.

OP
B

blacklight

Journeyman
i tried playing around with DMA settings - both in bios and Windows..but no change.
and my search on this behavior on the net was also not encouraging!!
*club.cdfreaks.com/f61/dvd-writer-reads-only-cds-226256/
*forums.techarena.in/hardware-peripherals/1094549.htm

finally decided to end this and get a new one !!
got a new LG 22X SATA drive for Rs 1090 :)

thanks sorcerer for all the advice .

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Kind of late with my input, but here goes. Although the basic principles of CDs and DVDs are the same, they differ in detail. Data is much more densely packed in DVDs and requires a much higher degree of precision in writing and reading. Your problem is a common one with DVD drives. If the focus and alignment gets out of whack even slightly, it can no longer deal with DVDs but can still cope with the less demanding requirements of a CD. Same reasoning with a dirty lens.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Its PIO/DMA conflict dude :p. Sometime it works, sometime it doesnt. IDE is as good as gone so its pretty obvious one ditches IDE for good.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Just because some problems are caused by a PIO/DMA issue, it doesn't mean that all read-write problems are caused by it. Just as they are not all caused by lens alignment, but the vast majority of cases where it can read CDs but not DVDs are caused by the lens/laser assembly. I've dealt with plenty of such problems with other people's drives.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
If lens were misaligned, the CDs wouldn't have worked. I work dell as a tech support. We see many problems like this these days.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
It depends on the degree of misalignment/misfocus. I think I explained that clearly enough in my earlier post. (I won't bother citing my own technical background).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom