DVD Problem-Cant Read DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthik_rcs

Broken In
Hello friends,
I am having samsung dvdrom.
I am unable to view the digit dvds, where as i am able to play vcds.
Is there any software or tool to check the lens or status of dvd.
I have No of region changes pending is 1.
How to rectify the problem
Please help me
karthik

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
go to device manager,nd remove the DVD drive frm there
restart the PC nd let windows detect it ..

u can also clean the lens by some lens cleaner CD's available in the market...i have never heard of a software that tells us the status of the lens!!

OP
K

karthik_rcs

Broken In
Thanks

Thanks for reply friends,
Last month i copied mandrake from feb2005 dvd . I was able to copy that.
Second time when i used the dvd , eventhough the dvd is in the drive, i wasnt able to see the dvd in the drive [My computer]

This March DVD , i wasnt able to read the DVD.

One more doubt.
In Regions tab of dvd , i have only 1 chanes remaining. But i have manually changed only 2 times as we can do 5 times.

But how come now it has only 1 changes remaining.
does the power dvd or any tools change these settings.
wht would happen if no of changes remaining comes to 0
how to rectify that

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Thanks

karthik_rcs said:
how to rectify that

I dont think PowerDVD can change the Settings without Notifying for a Region Code change.....and if the No of changes comes to 0 that means that it will get locked on that particular region and will be applicable to the last set Region code :(

Rectifying that would mean using DVD Region bypassing system which can be illegal....Just try and google for More explaination on region code Freeing :p

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
1. Then there is problem with ur DVD, and not the ROM.

2. To make DVD regions free, see these links and try if they are useful:

DVD Region+CSS Free (Formerly DVD Region-Free) 9not free)
*www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

or DVD region free 3.38
*www.dvdidle.com/download/DVDRegionFree33.exe

Dipen01

Youngling
hey ther..

U can even try this thread.. i had similar problem.. may be u can get a hint from this...

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14341&highlight=

anyways..

Cheers..
Dipen

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
how to rectify that

Hmm, one more small information to add to what drgrudge has said about DVDRF. Remember that if you put another region DVD in your drive than the one its currently set to, PowerDVD will automatically ask you to choose the region for the DVD, because of the mismatch. If you change the region to match the region of the DVD, then PowerDVD/WinDVD will make the corresponding change to the drive to allow it to play the DVD. So, be extremely careful when selecting the region via your applications as they CAN and WILL change your Region settings and suddenly you will find yourself being stuck at 0.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Actually I have a similar issue as well. My Liteon DVD was working prefectly well till recently. None of my digit DVD's were getting detected where in they used to work fine earlier. Now CD's dont get detected either!!! This is such a pain. Anyways I am not too worried since I am plannin to switch to a DVD writer soon anyways. Any ideas whats going on?

drgrudge

enoonmai said:
Hmm, one more small information to add to what drgrudge has said about DVDRF. Remember that if you put another region DVD in your drive than the one its currently set to, PowerDVD will automatically ask you to choose the region for the DVD, because of the mismatch. If you change the region to match the region of the DVD, then PowerDVD/WinDVD will make the corresponding change to the drive to allow it to play the DVD. So, be extremely careful when selecting the region via your applications as they CAN and WILL change your Region settings and suddenly you will find yourself being stuck at 0.
Hmmm..., i have borrowed many movie DVD's from the bristish council library and they have region 2 DVD's only..., i play DVD's in powerDVD only and not even once it has asked me for the change...and i have played more than 5 times.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
How long has it been since you got the drive? If you were an early adopter of DVD, like I was, chances are that your older drive would be just at death's door, like yours, or already dead, like mine. :D If your DVDs/CDs are not being read or if they're misread as Audio CDs then be prepared for your drive to go into the Great Big Computer Junkyard In The Sky real soon. :D Although, having said that, a good lens cleaner, a bit of dusting and cleaning the drives and the CDs, would give it a bit of a breather. Not much, but enough. Also, some drives have a problem reading discs that have become a bit hot because of all the "spinning around" Shutting the computer down for some time and then retrying the DVDs may yield a bit of a success. But if you're getting a DVD Writer, I personally recommend the Sony DRU-710A. Great VFM!

drgrudge

My DVD rom is Samsung and it's 9 months old and has never asked in for a region change when i play DVD's from other region and i have done a lot of time before...

@ice,
Get Sony 720-b or BenQ 1620, they are the best available DVD burners

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Wow, thats the first time I am hearing of anything like that. You must be having DVD Region Free or some other software or your DVD drive is set to Region 2 or Region 5. Also know that most Region 2 discs are Region 5 also, as can be seen from the back of the DVD case where it will have the world symbol with the numbers 2 AND 5. Its only when you switch to Region 1 or 3 that you will see this message. I dont suppose you switched to those, did you? Because without DVDRF, you will be mandatorily forced to switch to another region if you use a Region 1 or 3 disc after setting it to Region 2/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom