Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends,

I want to know whether i can use dual PSU for my computer. I have two 400W PSU and want to use it in my system, instead of investing in an high-end PSU which cost a lot, i want to combine my two PSU.

1. Is it possible? :confused:
2. Will it substitute a high-end PSU? :rolleyes:

Please advice.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
technically it is possible but not advisable and no, it cant compensate for a high end PSU.
Here is how it works,
1) there is a green wire on the 20/24 pin ATX connector, on shorting this wire with a ground wire(black) starts the PSU.
2) Connect 1 PSU to the system as usual
3) connect two wires, one to the green wire of second psu atx connector and another wire from the black wire next to the green one.
4) there is a wire coming from the power button of the cabinet which is connected on the motherboard.Usually it is a pair of wires, generally black/white for one wire and some other colour for the other wire.
5) connect the wire from the black wire of psu (step 3) to the black/white wire of power button.Then connect the wire from green wire of PSU (step 3) to the coloured wire of power button.
6) what this does is when you switch on your PC, both the PSUs start at the same time.
7) Connect Fans, CCFLs, LEDs etc to the second PSU and not some major components like HDD or ODD etc.Not that it cant be done, its safer not to do so.

Remember, this trick works but is NOT recommended.I have tried this and it works flawlessly, although if you dont do it properly and screw up something, dont blame me for it.
I am not responsible for any damage caused while executing this trick.

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
One PSU can be used as master and the other can be started frm that by giving it starting pulse. The circuitry will be complex and u need to Master in tronix for that.
Leave this idea and go for new PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom