Status
Not open for further replies.
i wanted to use linux so i tried SUSE 10.2 installed it but after installation i get an error : Error loading operating system...
i.e. i cannot boot into either windows XP or linux....
i think i changed the MBR..... do u know what can i do to get my windows start back.....
i can boot into LINUX from the bootable DVD.....but that should not be the case...
i installed GRUB first into MBR (coz. i was unknown of it)....then i did "fixmbr" for windows xp and then i installed again GRUB but this time not into MBR....
when i restart the PC i get message:
GRUB loading...
ERROR 17

any help in ths...

drsethi

Journeyman
Boot from CD1/DVD and when install page appears go to >repair installed system>advanced>install GRUB

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
GRUB is the Linux bootloader (must be installed in the MBR). In your case you have
deleted GRUB. Restore GRUB. Follow the procedure @DrSethi has given. Your problem
will be solved.

OP
I

imported_tarang

Broken In
i read that i have to install grub in the /boot partion..linux gets booted from the /dev/hda4...so think thats the partition right?
but when i try to install grub as JGuru and drsethi said i cant install it....it says stage 2 partition not found.....
wat do i do?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It's better to install in /dev/hda if you aren't going to use another boot manager.
While dual booting with windows it's best to install in mbr of the disk ie. hda

drsethi

Journeyman
Try
1.Automatic repair after boot from CD1/DVD
2.Read Grub manual and find the solution yourself
*www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Troubleshooting
3.Do as I did.:rolleyes: Reinstall Linux taking precaution not to delete Windows partitions. Under partitioning options format all existing Linux partitions.
It is better to reinstall than getting confused.
I am also doubtful about '/dev/hda4' so just check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom