bubusam13

Human
Hi, I want my D: drive to be accessible to me only which holds many personal files. Anybody from other accounts should not be able to access those files. Windows 7 pre-installed Bitlocker doesnot work fine. Can someone help me ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Best option would be to truly hide your complete partition or drive(s) as you call it, using utilities provided by software such as "Tune Up Utilities".

You can get a free and legal license for TuneUp Utilities 2010, from this promotion offer. :)

clmlbx

Technomancer
@ OP please search before making new thread, I had just answered this Few days back. xp and win 7 has same process.. You don't need any 3rd party software for this. It can be easily done without any softwares.. so here is it.

login with Administer account

Your Disk/partition should be NTFS

You administer account should have passwords

That other users should not have administer privileges, their account should be standard.

Now Right click on Drives which You like restrict access from another users

click on Properties and go to Security Tab..

click on Edit. then select user from list .If user not in list then click on add. type user name in box and then on right, click on check names. then click OK

after selecting that user, below u will see list with check boxes. so just deny every thing.

Work done.. click ok and Exit the Dialog box.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
Yes I have done these things before, but the problem is that few years ago, while using XP, my OS got corrupted. Then after reinstalling XP, I was not able to access my E: drive. Then I have to recover the data in E: drive using a linux live cd and then format the drive. Thats why I am not going for this method.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest using T r u e C r y p t ;-)

Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux

Features :

Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.

Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.

Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:

Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.

get it from here : TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you are welcome ;-)

TrueCrypt is the best free open source app out there for these kind of needs - I first came to know about this on 2006 and still I'm using it - TrueCrypt even has some very good BenchMark Features which I use - Overall this is a great piece of app and no freeware or shareware so far can't compete with this IMO - a big thanks goes to it's developers ;-)

Top Bottom