Dress codes and ban on mobile phones in anna university

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
wizrulz said:
bann..means ur inviting more opp to break rules and yeah more bribing.....more such useless rules..more is corruption..dunno in chennai ..yeah but in mumbai its like that ;)
WHERE IS DEMOCRACY........FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

They dont know abt the TEENS!!! they are much interested to do the things which the managment says Dont!!!! BEWARE!!!

freakanomics

Broken In
Theres no problem on the dress code....that makes no place for vulgarity in the campus......mobile phones mustn't be banned in the campus......but its ok if they r prohibited in the classrooms.........

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
Using mobile phones is class rooms is not that good.. according to me.. either its the Student or the Lecturer.. i think most of the students are not using mobile in classrooms..

S

spellDwhy

I didn't know about to the dress codes. I think that it's comforable.
girls hair accessories

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
My college is not a famous educational institution. But they will impose rules.. By seeing which you can't stop yourself from cursing them.... I'm providing the circular we receive at every Academic year begining...

1) Interaction between Boys and Girls is strictly prohibited. If any seen, they will be sent out of the college

2) Wearing round neck T-shirts, T-shirts with quotes on it, girls wearing pants and shirts, is prohibited.
suggestion: Girls are adviced to wear only Chudidars or Sarees.

3) Bringing Cellphones and pages to the college is strictly prohibited. If any found the device will be hand overd and will not be returned untill he/she pays a fine of 2000 Rupees.

4) Riding the two wheelers by students after they enter college primises is probhibited.(The parking lot is nearly 0.4kms away from the college entrance gate)

5)Students should not indulge in any arguments with the lecturers or any non teaching staff.

That's the way my college principles work. Sue my college. I'm felling bored in it. For 2 years i have not spoke to any gals. How shame is that...:(

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Where the hell are these colleges.. we don't have any kind of restrictions in North India.. but I support parking of bikes and cars outside the college.. it is safe..

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I studied my M.B.B.S. and M.D. in a private medical college, and I now teach in a (different) private medical college, so I'll present my perspective.

stop vulgarity??

Don't the student have enough common sense and discretion to make their own decisions?

Am afraid not. That is the state of parenting today. Parents who have no time for their children, who give into their every demand. Earlier this used to be a rarity, it is gradually becoming the norm. How much common sense do you expect them to have? Common sense is not very common nowadays, and this is my personal experience.

And Mobiles!! My God! You don't need a goddamn rule for that. Even a moron knows that you are not supposed to use the mobile during a class. The problem is that the professors are unable to earn respect.

Mobile phones should not be banned, but I fail to see the utility of a mobile phone during college hours. If there is an emergency at home, or if someone dies, the parent/relative is better off informing the principal who will break the news to the student instead of calling him/her directly. Neither students nor staff should use mobile phones while the lecture is in progress. In fact, I have proposed the use of jammers, but these are not easily/cheaply available in India.

I don't know how many of u are from the university ( I am in my final year , anna university ) . Our VC is well known among the students for his indecent behaviours in stages ( like scolding stud's bfore cheif guests , etc) and he often gets nose cuts ( like the thing happend in last yr kalakrithi - where he faces scores of insults ) . It is no doubt for us that he will act like this when he took responsibility .

I am surprised you all haven't trashed him by now :D

The dress code thing is purely aimed at girls , that too of the Industrial Biotech genre womens who don't know there are varieties exist beyond jeans and tight T-Shirts .

There is a recent trend among girls, and I see, even among boys to wear "low waist" jeans and short tops, exposing the midriff. Some time back I saw a nice talk show on NDTV, where a lady professor from JNU was interacting with a student leader (girl). the girl was trying to justify this kind of dressing, when the JNU professor made a mention of something that struck a chord with me. She noted that how little girls wearing dresses are always taught, from childhood, to sit in a such a way that their underwear is not exposed. And now when you're college going this suddenly gets turned on it's head?! Now it's ok for your underwear to be seen? THE STUDENT LEADER HAD NO ANSWER.

My college is not a famous educational institution. But they will impose rules.. By seeing which you can't stop yourself from cursing them.... I'm providing the circular we receive at every Academic year begining...

1) Interaction between Boys and Girls is strictly prohibited. If any seen, they will be sent out of the college

That's crazy

2) Wearing round neck T-shirts, T-shirts with quotes on it, girls wearing pants and shirts, is prohibited.
suggestion: Girls are adviced to wear only Chudidars or Sarees.

Depends on what the quotes/graphics are.

3) Bringing Cellphones and pages to the college is strictly prohibited. If any found the device will be hand overd and will not be returned untill he/she pays a fine of 2000 Rupees.

Crazy again !

4) Riding the two wheelers by students after they enter college primises is probhibited.(The parking lot is nearly 0.4kms away from the college entrance gate)

Because within the campus students drive like their ar*se is on fire, and someone might get hurt. The parking lot is 0.4 km away, and not 4 km away. Don't tell me you can't walk 0.4 km, don't be lazy.

5)Students should not indulge in any arguments with the lecturers or any non teaching staff.

I'll add a qualifier, ....in public. Argument in private should be permitted. Why not in public? Become a teacher and then you'll understand, it's pointless of me trying to explain.

Not talking to girls? I would have killed myself if this was a rule. I really pity you guys.

Really! Come on now would you :p Your life is worth a lot more I think. It's just the hormones raging there.

nix

well, its only in india where fully grown men and women who attend college are treated like school kids. a mobile phone is a basic necessity.

what i hate is you're supposed to calling teachers saying "sir". they should scrap the british system.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
This is turning out to be a nice discussion.

well, its only in india where fully grown men and women who attend college are treated like school kids.

Well if they behave like school kids they deserve to be treated as such, not otherwise.

a mobile phone is a basic necessity.

Yes it is, a camera phone isn't. Neither is it a necessity during the lecture.

what i hate is you're supposed to calling teachers saying "sir". they should scrap the british system.

I agree on this one. But change should start at the top. As a junior faculty I do not lay much emphasis on this "sir sir" thing; I believe that respect should be commanded, not demanded. However, I am constrained to practice the same with my students, lest it be construed, by senior traditionalists, to be a means of gaining cheap popularity, or crossing an invisible line. I do tell them to drop the "sir" after they move on to the next academic year as I have no more control over them or any way to influence their results. They however insist on addressing me as sir as a matter of habit, they feel uncomfortable to call me by name.

blondie

Broken In
i support the rules completely.. and hair with oil combed to the side should be added as a rule to the list

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Because within the campus students drive like their ar*se is on fire, and someone might get hurt. The parking lot is 0.4 km away, and not 4 km away. Don't tell me you can't walk 0.4 km, don't be lazy.

Actually that's not the case. As the road from the gate to parking lot is very rigid and students will be walking 24/7 on that way. Any on will hardly get a chance to run their bike so fast that they could loose their balance and fall off. More importantly the college duds has not imposed the rule keeping the above fact in mind. They have imposed that rule thinking that "boys drive their vehicles fast and will do wheelies and stoppies to get the grils attention". I think this rule would be better-

"Students should not drive thier vechicles more than 5Kmph in college primises"

NucleusKore

TheSaint
"Students should not drive thier vechicles more than 5Kmph in college primises"

How do you plan to monitor that? Are you going to install speed radars?

Don't tell me students are "responsible" and won't do above 5 kmph because the "rules" say so. Grown up motorists on the streets don't follow rules :)

appserver

Third Eye
well, its only in india where fully grown men and women who attend college are treated like school kids. a mobile phone is a basic necessity.

Digression:

6-7 years back was that a basic necessity? The word "basic" cracked me! So far I thought its just food, water and shelter. Now Manmohan singh should add mobile phone to that list. Suddenly, we need a mobile phone without which we can't survive, it seems. Slowly technology is eating our natural life.
My boss is a non-mobile human being. He uses office phones during office hours and land line at home. He is not having cable/set top or DTH services to his home TV. Once I asked him what he and his family would do in the evening. He said that they will discuss and share what all happened on that day in the office/school/college. Even during the dinner time they will share some jokes and healthy debates. His kids never complain that they need tv. The whole family goes for trekking, boating, occasionally to a cinema in the weekend. He never keeps his kids idle. They go for swimming and dance classes. On the whole his kids are developing as intellectuals without the need of tv's and mobiles.
I took him as a role model, I dont use mobile phones though I am working for a mnc, trust me I am alive.
Please dont say that mobile phones are basic necessities, its a joke!

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
How do you plan to monitor that? Are you going to install speed radars?

Don't tell me students are "responsible" and won't do above 5 kmph because the "rules" say so. Grown up motorists on the streets don't follow rules :)

This dosen't mean arguing with you...

The people who will catch us if we are drving on a bike, the same people will catch you if you are going fast.

Back when i'm in 1st year in my college there is the rule, that you should not drive your bikes fastly. And i see every body follwing the rule as they cannot afford to pay a fine of 1000rs for that. But later, god knows what happned. They changed the rule.

Hope they will change it in this academic year.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
My boss is a non-mobile human being. He uses office phones during office hours and land line at home. He is not having cable/set top or DTH services to his home TV. Once I asked him what he and his family would do in the evening. He said that they will discuss and share what all happened on that day in the office/school/college. Even during the dinner time they will share some jokes and healthy debates. His kids never complain that they need tv. The whole family goes for trekking, boating, occasionally to a cinema in the weekend. He never keeps his kids idle. They go for swimming and dance classes. On the whole his kids are developing as intellectuals without the need of tv's and mobiles.

Hats off to him, true role model. By the way, I do not have a TV at home. Never felt the need for one. And no, I do not have a TV tuner card either. I see my moble phone as a convenience more than a necessity.

This dosen't mean arguing with you...

And I don't mean that either. It's just the question of doing what's best, and as is the case with your college, it's best to keep bikes at the gate. This 5 kmph limitation is not workable, and does not lend itself to verification without unnecessary expenditure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom