Download Manager Help...

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
Is there any download manager which can resume downloading files if internet connection is suddenly lost or if the computer suddenly shuts down?

Also it should be a freeware.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
All download manager have this resuming feature. Computer suddenly shutting down is bit different as the file downloading may get corrupted. In other cases, it will resume.

For a freeware, try Free Download Manager.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
all it depends is from where the file was being downloaded. if you download from some download sites like CNET, Softpedia, usually resume is possible but if file sharing site, other than multiupload, no other site allows to resume. though using some specific DM resume is possible from some sites.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Megaupload, mediafire, rapidshare - these three can resume. If it says file not found or something like that, open the page again in your browser, get a fresh link, stop the new download, copy the address, paste to the older one - and - voila!!! ;)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
all it depends is from where the file was being downloaded. if you download from some download sites like CNET, Softpedia, usually resume is possible but if file sharing site, other than multiupload, no other site allows to resume. though using some specific DM resume is possible from some sites.

True...

Megaupload, mediafire, rapidshare - these three can resume. If it says file not found or something like that, open the page again in your browser, get a fresh link, stop the new download, copy the address, paste to the older one - and - voila!!! ;)

condition: if OP has static IP

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@zangetsu: Not really, I am on a BSNL BB & BSNL EVDO, none on static IP and it works. Rapidshare added the facility last year, I remember mentioning it in this forum that time.

@gaurav: is filesonic also added the resuming facility? last time I used it, it won't allow to resume.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@zangetsu: Not really, I am on a BSNL BB & BSNL EVDO, none on static IP and it works. Rapidshare added the facility last year, I remember mentioning it in this forum that time.

I also use a dynamic IP (on each session) & have tried from Mediafire but it failed to resume for next IP...

Neuron

Electronic.
I also use a dynamic IP (on each session) & have tried from Mediafire but it failed to resume for next IP...

Skud was talking about the 'refresh download address' facility in IDM.If download fails due to an IP change you can use this feature to renew the download link.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
IDM is the king of the ring when it comes to allround download mangement plus its one the best tool get broken downloads working again and what skud said about refreshing the link to resume download can be achieved directly with IDM inbuilt refresh link feature and you get the rare capability(and worthy one ) too download any streaming video from any source or site without having to look for site base specific video downloaders.IDM should get you on your way to easy downloading !!!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have IDM on my desktop and FDM on my laptop (felt no need for a 2nd license), and I can tell you functionality wise both are almost on par. FDM has an in-built torrent client too.

And whatever you have said about IDM holds good for FDM too except inbuilt refresh link. If you have the money to spend, get IDM. Period. Else FDM is too good to ignore for free.

buddyram

New Voyage
I have a point, i use Microsoft Download manager to download youtube videos thru keepvid.com, but sometimes due to internet connectivity or bandwidth issues the connection had terminated, and again if i resume the download was not resuming.
if the youtube link is permanent one, who would it get terminate?

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
@OP: For your information, Select any of the download managers (having GPL/Free software license):
Comparison of download managers

Krow

Crowman
^IDM costs like 1300 bucks. Its pretty good though. You should mention that it is paid when suggesting I think.

Top Bottom