Does it suck to be an Indian gamer?

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pings/routing. End of.

Every ISP sucks.

If reliable high speed Internet was cheap, you'd see more servers popping up.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
uh lol we dont need good bandwidth actually, games work on as low bandwidth as possible, the best engines still use far far below 512k what we need is a reliable up time more than bandwidth, which is where we totally fail, something or the other goes wrong with the connection at least 2-3 times a day no matter which one I have used, annnd so the power guys put the schedule in the papers... about a week after the load shedding started, and they dont stick to that schedule

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ to host you need. :p

People could start hosting from home if reliable speedy Internet was cheaper.

But with ADSL, uploads will always be crap.

Alok

Adventurer
we have low resources .
A lot of problems are there like

slow internet , we cant play online games.

Electricity is also a problem , spoiling rigs with surges.
Companies are making online DRM.

there is no shop in my area which provides legit games. I have to go for online shops :cry:

when buying pc , shops don't have rigs we want.

Finally i say
It sucks but we won't give up , we are improving and someday will rocks.

Last edited:

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I'm not that much into online gaming. So, I'll share my views on how hard it is to be a gamer in india.

First off, the basic idea about video games in the society is "waste of time". A meaningless act which will require huge investment on a computer, and the monthly doses of electricity bill. Sadly, its not just parents that are with this attitude. But even the people of my age. Most of them still consider gaming as a childish and meaningless act. So, the problem starts with the perspective of the society about gaming and the weird look they will give you when we say.. 'I love games'.

If we do find people who are playing games, there is second problem. The number of gamers who know what they are playing. I will run into many people quite often who are still playing GTA: Vice City, Most Wanted.. not because they are good.. but because they don't know anything better than that. Yes.. these people do come under the category of 'Gamers'

Next.. the number of gamers who play the games without any sort of commitment to it. Even if they are playing games... they play those without even poking half of the stuff that is there in the game. And, if the game is giving a tough time.. use cheat codes or trainers. Their only game advisor is the 'cd vendor' who has a willy nilly knowledge about most of the stuff that is going on out there in gaming world.

Which brings to where I am. I, being labeled myself as 'hardcore gamer', and labeled by others as 'gaming maniac', 'kid who still plays video games', etc... is in a place where I gain no income per month.. except the occasional allowance from my mother. Which are not at all sufficient to buy a game for a month. For a game to be affordable to me.. I have to wait for an year, whilst the game is a day of downloading away from other sources. I am certainly not proud of what I'm doing, but I know it is the only way. That doesn't mean that I don't support devs. I buy the games which really made me feel better. This year.. I bought 5 games. Yes, distributors are indeed reducing the prices and are making the games affordable to many.. if not all. And that is a good sign.

Which brings to my thought, the availability of those games. I live in a 2nd grade city. Which is of 25 sq.kms area. The only shop that use to sell games here was plantM. But, they winded up the shop here a year ago, because of poor sales.most of the folks here will not bother to buy a game paying 1000 bucks. while the same is available for as low as 50rs. The gamers who are still buying the stuff from 'cd vendors' have a very meager idea about what the genuine games are. I actually heard from many of my friends that...

' Original games.. will run on any computer no need to worry about graphics card' , 'Original games have superior sound and video quality', 'Original games have more length(playtime)', etc.

If we show these people that they can buy Original Assassins Creed 2 for just 300 bucks. They will jump and buy. But... they lack any kind of knowledge on that side.

Why I am bragging about this is.. the only reason India is being neglected and often times been struck out from the equation is lack of sales.

But, digital distribution can over the risk of investment and gamble on sales figures. Which brings us to the next problem. Pathetic Internet speeds. I don't know what are the plans ISPs are providing out there in cities.. but in my town, the max I can get from any company is 1mpbs(with abysmal pings, connection consistency) even this is only provided by a single ISP. And the best part is I have to shell out ~1.5k for that.

After all these rants.. Let me point out what I want...

1. A gamestop like store in every city... with reasonable prices.

2. Decent Internet speeds. So that I can get my digital content quickly. Also.. to not get kicked out from a server for pathetic pings.

3. More guys in real life.. to talk and brag about games. Share their views etc.

4. And a day where people don't consider me as a toddler and an irresponsible person because I play video games.

All and all, it indeed sucks major time. But it has been worse once. Things are turning up a bit. Just a bit.

But gaming isn't the only thing that sucks in India, anyways.

Sarath

iDota
1. A gamestop like store in every city... with reasonable prices.
I don't think even the so called developed nations have a store in every small city. We have a huge population and many cities. The economy doesn't sustain it. Plus with the online boom I don't think any place is out of reach

2. Decent Internet speeds. So that I can get my digital content quickly. Also.. to not get kicked out from a server for pathetic pings.
A 512kbps with 50-100pings is fine for gaming. The problem is on the server end not ours. I host about 50 games a week without problems.

3. More guys in real life.. to talk and brag about games. Share their views etc.
Luckily got friends for that. You just have to dig deeper. Have realised that most guys like to play but are not able to due to parental pressure, lack of monet etc and hide behind the veiled statements "you are still a kid" etc

4. And a day where people don't consider me as a toddler and an irresponsible person because I play video games.
It is irresponsible and toddler like to play video games :p So are animes. Just do what you love and stop caring about others. I guess this applies to a lot of things in life

BTW @vamsi : we had gamedrome in vizag. Since you know how big that city / megavillage is it soon ran out of business. But that was more because despite customers the ppl who ran it would not recharge and keep the money for themselves and let us play. No wonder sify backed out. There are many small cafe's even in small cities.

Is BSNL really that bad? I was contemplating shifting to it from my airtel conn. The only reason I didn't was because gaming is flawless on my present conn. and lets me overlook the FUP, overcharges etc.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I don't think even the so called developed nations have a store in every small city. We have a huge population and many cities. The economy doesn't sustain it. Plus with the online boom I don't think any place is out of reach

Yes. they do. If not gamestop.. then walmart, best buy,etc. There is a reason why games are localized in 9 different languages. Strong distribution points.

2.A 512kbps with 50-100pings is fine for gaming. The problem is on the server end not ours. I host about 50 games a week without problems.

I'm talking about the time it takes to get a game digitally. And the stability of that connection. Also the price. Its not just you I'm talking about... I'm talking about 80% of india. 2nd grade towns.

3.Luckily got friends for that. You just have to dig deeper. Have realised that most guys like to play but are not able to due to parental pressure, lack of monet etc and hide behind the veiled statements "you are still a kid" etc

Done that. No luck. Can hardly find a dude here who knows about the game he is playing.

If it is some dude walking in the streets,we can do that. If parents are doing the same? Or if... some relative who visits home tells the same? It is hard to ignore and get on.

BTW @vamsi : we had gamedrome in vizag. Since you know how big that city / megavillage is it soon ran out of business. But that was more because despite customers the ppl who ran it would not recharge and keep the money for themselves and let us play. No wonder sify backed out. There are many small cafe's even in small cities.

Vizag is the second biggest city in Andra. Tirupati comes 5th, I think. I guess you can figure out the rest.

Is BSNL really that bad? I was contemplating shifting to it from my airtel conn. The only reason I didn't was because gaming is flawless on my present conn. and lets me overlook the FUP, overcharges etc.

The only unlimited connection that bsnl has here is 512kbps thing.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is on the server end not ours.
The problem is at the ISP's end for pathetic routing. I fail to understand why the heck I ping over 180ms to Delhi Airtel connections? Both MTNL and Airtel are at fault here.

The funniest part is, I ping 100ms to Hong Kong. Isn't that weird?

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
yes it sux.
i have seen many so called gamers in india, who
1.don't know any other game than gta vicecity,san andreas, nfs,fifa,ea cricket and who never knew there is something called lan or online multiplayer.
2. play cs or dota only. most of them don't own a legal copy of cs. 90% of indian gaming.
3. others(including f2p tf2 players)
i knew a guy from norway who said his net speed is 25mbps/8mbps & is an entry level plan and he is sad that steam doesnt use his full speed.

Soumik99

Journeyman
the only thing that actually hinders gaming in india is current Internet and availability of games.. cost of games imo is ok... it is at par with the other countries(sometimes even less) Indians just need to adapt to it(there are a LOT of foreigners too for whom $60 is a bit too much) I personally don't buy more than one game a month(sometimes maybe two).
And thats how its supposed to be if someone cannot afford more(i learnt this overtime).Just chuck the bad games. The general attitude in my friend circle is like " Have you played the new James Bond game?", and I reply,"Didn't that game get 5.0/10? I hear its pretty bad.." and he says,"Come on you're getting it for just(as said before^) Rs 50, whats the problem?" Before introduction to flipkart/nextworld , I too had to search the metropolitan malls for some new games and it was laborious. :) But now the condition is improving. As you can see EA.com has "India" as an option under their list of countries with the prices given in Rupees(f**k bethesda :) ). A few more years and I think we will be able to get all the necessities(the country is in an unstable state atm). And now....
Slow Internet in India Comic | Indian comics about life and irritations.
(ok i too won't spam this thread no more) :))

Last edited:

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
bandwidth is really problem. not just for pings but to download content digitally.
i have to keep my pc running whole night(s) to let steam download my new games.

Alok

Adventurer
BSNL suck here . Airtel is best in Lko & Kanpur

Done that. No luck. Can hardly find a dude here who knows about the game he is playing.

i'm dying to find such friend to whom i can discuss games but there is none like me in my area as well as in collage. All i find only know cs , igi , and nfs mw:cry:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Uhh Im talking about mobile mmorpgs thats what ive been playing most of late... one obvious point I skipped was that you cannot use the spectrum on your mobile phones the way it is supposed to be used, I get constant pingwells on my vodaphone line irrespective of whether or not I am using 3G or not... and playing while traveling in a train or bus is outright impossible, so I have to use wifi all the time.... However, Ive yet to meen a player who doesnt complain of some or the other kind of connection problem, (we have the lowest ping in the world, but its still massive everywhere else for pocket mmorpgs, usually in the 400-3000 range, yes, we play with 3000+ ping as well, ping doesnt matter in mmorpgs as much as it matters in something like CS or Quake) and this includes players from around the world, so I guess many of us are facing the same problems PS, Im also very glad to be an Indian gamer because there are not many Indains in my game, but every single one I have met is highly skilled, play very well, go beyond to help others out... and are usually near the highest possible level with really good gear

Alok

Adventurer
BLIZZARD said:
Diablo 3 will need a constant internet connection for single player campaign.

this kills .
I must play D3.
Searching for a cheap wireless connection which may flawlessly run it.

Parents won't allow landline connection for gaming.

tkin

Back to school!!
For online gaming speed is not that important, but ping is, and also FUPs should be banned forever, with game patches reigning over 1GB(Rage), we need fully uncapped plans.

gameranand

Living to Play
Agree with each and every statement of vamsi.
I came to college and I talked to nearly everyone in my class but all of them think that playing game is childish act. When I tell them how big is gaming industry they think I lie. They don't even beleive that game can come under mature rating. You can imagine the rest.

Top Bottom