Do you own a desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Some buy bikes. Others build their own bikes, mod it and give them more power or customize them to suit their taste in style or needs.

Ones who prefer desktops over laptop even for regular work, are of the later category. EOD.

I bought a laptop. I didn't like it. I upgraded it's GPU, cooling system, RAM and added a SSD. I then OCed the GPU. So do I belong to the category of people who buy Jet planes and mod them? :D

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I bought a laptop. I didn't like it. I upgraded it's GPU, cooling system, RAM and added a SSD. I then OCed the GPU. So do I belong to the category of people who buy Jet planes and mod them? :D

You belong to the category of people who buy a helicopter, and convert them into Jet Planes.

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Desktops are not selling anymore. Laptops are fast enough and are not too costly. Also tablets are available cheaply.

I am stating the facts. Look around there are very few shops selling desktops.

I want to ask if you own a desktop, what makes you keep one or buy a desktop over other options.

Is it gaming?
Is it the way you use it?

Laptop market lat east in the low and mid range is stagnant. At least that's what my friends working in the concerned companies say. There was a huge boom in sales after win 7 was released and then the market has become stagnant. Why do you think Dell, Lenovo, Asus are slowly making their way in the tablet market?

Pasapa

Live to die another day
What about the screen size , i like gaming on a 24inch screen not a small 17" one...

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Laptop market lat east in the low and mid range is stagnant. At least that's what my friends working in the concerned companies say. There was a huge boom in sales after win 7 was released and then the market has become stagnant. Why do you think Dell, Lenovo, Asus are slowly making their way in the tablet market?

This is because tablets are next gen to laptops. Laptops in low-mid segment are mainly used by business people whose main concern is portability and battery life. Tablets are way more portable than laptops(in the sense one can use them anytime) so if tablets sufficed for everything than can be done on laptops , these people started using them more leading to the decline of laptops in this segment.
BTW this is not affecting laptops in the gaming segment because tablet gaming industry is not that developed as of yet.

- - - Updated - - -

What about the screen size , i like gaming on a 24inch screen not a small 17" one...

I game on my 42" TV.

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
This is because tablets are next gen to laptops. Laptops in low-mid segment are mainly used by business people whose main concern is portability and battery life. Tablets are way more portable than laptops(in the sense one can use them anytime) so if tablets sufficed for everything than can be done on laptops , these people started using them more leading to the decline of laptops in this segment.
BTW this is not affecting laptops in the gaming segment because tablet gaming industry is not that developed as of yet.

Exactly.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover

- - - Updated - - -

I game on my 42" TV.

flappy bird or angry bird?

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
lol at this thread ... I thought it was fairly common to everyone that desktop > laptops > tablet pc's .

INB4 Lock ? :twisted:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Jesus Christ! This is a ridiculous thread. I'm not sleeping right? I mean I'm awake and I'm reading this type of comment?
I am not saying that desktops are bad, they just impose too many restrictions on you.

The only disadvantage a desktop impose is someone's inability to upgrade at a timely manner and the patience needed to put together the rig by yourself.

Whoever even thought about comparing a desktop and a bloody laptop, well :facepalm:

We who have a desktop, and always will have one over a crap laptop (by crap I mean Alienware and those kinds) are serious people, who don't go to college to show off others look I've this, or game while moving ( seriously people game when they are moving :O ) but game seriously, I mean in a fixed place, a serious gamer doesn't dance while playing or move the set up at a different place, or the professionals, who edit tons of videos and all those kinds.

I see why laptop is being preferred by kids :cool: Stay within what you like, discuss about it at length, I don't care, but don't even try to compare something serious with a piece of joke, I beg you.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
This thread is about "Desktop vs. Laptop" and not "Desktop vs. Laptop + 42" TV". :| So desktop is a clear winner when it comes to screen size.

so wait in ur manner of speaking, does the desktop of urs come with an inbuilt screen? ;)
thats a bad arguement
ohh and can u carry around ur desktop everywhere and connect it to any display u wish? :p

TheFallenLord

Journeyman
[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION]
I guess most people consider the monitor to be a part of their desktop system. I might be wrong though. Whereas everyone who has a laptop and wishes to game on a large screen, may not have access to one. A 40"+ 1080p TV doesn't come cheap.

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Jesus Christ! This is a ridiculous thread. I'm not sleeping right? I mean I'm awake and I'm reading this type of comment?

The only disadvantage a desktop impose is someone's inability to upgrade at a timely manner and the patience needed to put together the rig by yourself.

Whoever even thought about comparing a desktop and a bloody laptop, well :facepalm:

We who have a desktop, and always will have one over a crap laptop (by crap I mean Alienware and those kinds) are serious people, who don't go to college to show off others look I've this, or game while moving ( seriously people game when they are moving :O ) but game seriously, I mean in a fixed place, a serious gamer doesn't dance while playing or move the set up at a different place, or the professionals, who edit tons of videos and all those kinds.

I see why laptop is being preferred by kids :cool: Stay within what you like, discuss about it at length, I don't care, but don't even try to compare something serious with a piece of joke, I beg you.

:rolleyes:

just wow dude :D,ur points are not fully valid :p
there are laptops better than mid range desktops too
for eg a laptop i5(M-series) is roughly equivalent than a desktop i3
heres an interesting link for this subject
*www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html
ohh and check out the 2500k and the 3630qm benchmarks

R2K

In the Zone
The first thing that you think of after getting a laptop is "I wish I had bought a desktop instead"
Doesn't apply to those who use a laptop for just music/movies/web

I felt like I should have gone for an Ipad instead of the laptop. Not that the laptop is bad or anything but its really an overkill for what I'm actually doing with it. An ipad might have sufficed my needs for half the price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom