Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Do you own a desktop?
Yes.

Desktops are not selling anymore.
This is plain wrong.

Laptops are fast enough and are not too costly. Also tablets are available cheaply.
Yeah, I agree.

I am stating the facts. Look around there are very few shops selling desktops.
The number of Desktop shops that were there few years ago have not really reduced.

I want to ask if you own a desktop, what makes you keep one or buy a desktop over other options.

Is it gaming?
Is it the way you use it?

For my home use, I only have a desktop. I use it for everything & that includes gaming.
- I like the big screen.
- I find that I can do things more faster/comfortably on a desktop than a laptop. I haven't tried any other options.
- I don't need the portability for my home stuff.
- I have always upgrade part by part (not too much money) every time all these years & that has worked for me.

For work, I have both a desktop & a laptop.
- I need the laptop because at times I need to be able to work from anywhere.
- I am more comfortable on the the desktop when I am at my primary location.

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
the thinkpad that my company gave costs 1.1 lacs and its still not for gaming.. so light, highly portable, boots in a flash and finally of course gets the job done in the flight, at the conferences, meetings, in the coffee shop by the beach!

That's not my point, my point is people judge gaming laptops based on how a 1lakh company thinkpad can perform in games
Or how their cheap netbook performs in games or even what they believe laptops to be just because they don't have one
I have devices from each category,so I always post based on my experience not generalising etc
I'm not saying desktops or thinkpads or tablets are bad but none should be underestimated but alot of people here don't seem to get that and think desktops are the world and everything else is bs which ofcourse isn't true
I like to bust myths which people make up about products they don't like or don't own etc
I own decent desktops and laptops and use both

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
then no point of this thread any more, everyone realizes both desktops and laptops have their uses and purposes of their existence.
the rest that don't agree.. ok, enjoy your desktop or laptop.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
almost everyone here have both desktop and laptop and all agree about both of their cons and pros.......

@mods plz close this thread to stop further trolling .........................

snap

Lurker
Jesus Christ! This is a ridiculous thread. I'm not sleeping right? I mean I'm awake and I'm reading this type of comment?

The only disadvantage a desktop impose is someone's inability to upgrade at a timely manner and the patience needed to put together the rig by yourself.

Whoever even thought about comparing a desktop and a bloody laptop, well :facepalm:

We who have a desktop, and always will have one over a crap laptop (by crap I mean Alienware and those kinds) are serious people, who don't go to college to show off others look I've this, or game while moving ( seriously people game when they are moving :O ) but game seriously, I mean in a fixed place, a serious gamer doesn't dance while playing or move the set up at a different place, or the professionals, who edit tons of videos and all those kinds.

I see why laptop is being preferred by kids :cool: Stay within what you like, discuss about it at length, I don't care, but don't even try to compare something serious with a piece of joke, I beg you.

:rolleyes:

It's still irrelevant dude. You are comparing two utterly different things targeted for two different types of users.

When you see the world you need to see from average people's point of view, maybe you and I can afford a pair of Titans, but most people have their whole rig in that budget.

I am a gamer, I am a PC enthusiast, I do other simple tasks too, like browsing, watching movies which can't be watched with family on TV ( :p ) and slight bit of video converting of my game-plays too. Now I do that on my rig, flawlessly, at 40-50% less budget than a laptop, without generating so much heat. So why on earth would I get a laptop? I seriously doubt how many people travel to every corner to their house and carry their laptop. When they do something they ultimately have to sit somewhere and do the works, and even a bloody lazy idiot like me is saying this! As someone said, you connect your laptop to an external display, you use a separate keyboard, mouse, so it's basically desktop materials you are using, it's the whole experience that matters, along with superior hardware of course. If you say laptop that'd mean that squared box only, nothing attached to it.

Desktops are better than laptop for any or every sort of work which doesn't require portability (for portability nowadays some sodding tablets can do the work of a laptop), let alone gaming / heavy rendering works, they are way more durable, consistent too, and I bet you know and believe that too, but you are just in a point of your life where for whatever reasons you can't have a desktop, well I get it. Back in 2006 when I used to sit back on my Fiat Palio and had no job and see some other person's 3 series going past me I just felt sad each time I saw those bloody cars, and kept saying to my mind, hey frak it, that has four wheels, this has four wheels too, what's the difference anyway.....but somewhere in my mind I had that urge.....and it's 2014, maybe some other kid now sees me and feels the same....but on those days I never (I was with a different username in TDF that time) believed or said anywhere that my car was more productive or better than that 320d even when mine was at least 6 times less priced.

I am confident that this will be my last post here.

> First of all, you are posting in wrong section. Second, what is the purpose of this thread?

> Reasons for choosing desktop over laptop:

1. upgradibility
2. better configuration in same price
3. same configuration is much lower price
4. more processing power at same price
5. customizability
6. much longer warranty period than any laptop
7. can be modded
8. overclockability
9. easier to cleen
10. failure of one component can be quickly and easily compensated by replacing it with temporary part while orignal part is repaired
11. much better ergonomics

(Tell me if you want more points)

> Reasons for choosing laptop over desktop:

1. portability

Have you considered the fact that the most powerful Laptop GPU is equivalent to a mid range Desktop GPU. A GTX 780M cannot be compared with a desktop GTX 780 but maximum with a GTX 670? And cost, 880M upgrade in custom made laptop like Clevo, Cyberpower or Eurocom will cost you more than $500. In a matter of fact the most powerful laptop GPU of current time can't max out today's game at 1080P resolution. Now you are shouting like upgrade is possible but a $550 + upgrade is not viable solution in any time. Also MXM slots based Laptops are having very limited choice of GPU as most of the times Laptop manufacturers tailor made the GPU from the original specifications to accommodate heat and power consumption of that specific laptop.
So you can't just buy any 780M laptop GPU for your upgradable laptop, you have to look for the specific model which is supported by your laptop vendor and you might find that no 780M upgrade is actually available for your lappy.

Similarly, lets come to the processing power. Even the Intel 4th Generation Core i7 4900QM with a tray price of $570 is far less powerful than a $250 2nd Generation i7 2700K in 95% of cases. So, even though upgrade is possible, they are extremely costly in laptops (Most of the custom configurable Laptops start from $1000 +) and even after buying the most expensive upgrades, you can't match the performance of a upper mid range desktop configuration.

^^This again. now the thread can be locked

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
lol.. everyone asking for it to be locked and keeping the thread on the top.
why can't you just leave it alone and not look at it if you are not interested in it anymore OR is this some kind of trolling ?

IMO let it be open & let new people give their opinions.

I own a desktop, it runs all my games. I wish it had a portable brother that can play some of my favorite games, I bought a laptop. Thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom