• Total voters

R2K

In the Zone
^^
Thanks dude...
Had to google how to create that start menu folder. But got it done :D

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
being windows 8 or 8.1 has its own style statement over the live tiles start-menu , yes indeed IT IS the start menu just orchestrated in another way...which is awesome, i think there is not much to mourn over a missing start menu, rather missing start button was somewhat inconvenient at first, but as we see 8.1 or the stardock modifier has already sorted it out as simply as it could be...so cheers.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
But windows 8.1 has a start screen button

Yeah, but it's not the old start menu. Instead it's a right click menu along with some other options like Reboot, Shutdown etc.

This is what I hate more. If they would have included proper start menu I'd have no problem, but this fake one will consume more space and will ofcourse look odd.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Yeah, but it's not the old start menu. Instead it's a right click menu along with some other options like Reboot, Shutdown etc.

This is what I hate more. If they would have included proper start menu I'd have no problem, but this fake one will consume more space and will ofcourse look odd.

They were very clear on not bringing back the start menu. The current start button being an ape of the right click, is still a good option specially with the included Reboot and Shutdowns out there.

Did this role out officially to the app store already ?? I was waiting for win 8.1 and have no clue if the official stuf is already out or not as i have been seeing people talking about getting the iso for win 8.1 from some time now :S

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
They were very clear on not bringing back the start menu. The current start button being an ape of the right click, is still a good option specially with the included Reboot and Shutdowns out there.

Did this role out officially to the app store already ?? I was waiting for win 8.1 and have no clue if the official stuf is already out or not as i have been seeing people talking about getting the iso for win 8.1 from some time now :S

Anyway, I didn't liked the thing much.

No Windows 8.1, Developer Preview released, for which ISO can be downloaded, the retail version will take some time. It'll be automatically updated via Windows Update when released. Again this is another thing which I hate, I don't even have any choice to opt out :(

I know Windows Update can be turned off, but I don't want to miss other security updates, though no one going to hack my PC :p

sujoyp

Grand Master
its been 6 months without start button and now I dont miss it...initially that side gesture was difficult in lappy...but now no issues :)

Sarath

iDota
Win 8 just feels inferior to Win 7 in every way. Reason why I still have Win 7 on another partition.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I didn't miss the start menu from day one. The start screen is the upgraded version of the start menu. the searches are also very effective in Windows 8. I didn't even miss the start button, because it is hidden from our view. Just go to the left corner and it will pop up a start screen preview, which acts as a button.

Seriously, how hard could it be to make that switch? It's a rigid mindset more than anything that caused all that flak for these two trivial things.

Anyway, I didn't liked the thing much.

No Windows 8.1, Developer Preview released, for which ISO can be downloaded, the retail version will take some time. It'll be automatically updated via Windows Update when released. Again this is another thing which I hate, I don't even have any choice to opt out :(

I know Windows Update can be turned off, but I don't want to miss other security updates, though no one going to hack my PC :p

You can choose what updates you want to install. Just like windows 7.

gameranand

Living to Play
In the beginning I missed it for like 1 or 2 days. You know I always used to click that space of Start Menu location but nothing would happen. :D
But then I got used to it and now I love Start Screen, productivity vise its better, I mean more shortcuts on front page for me, all softwares arranged in different categories. Also the search in Win 8 is very good, so no complaints about that. Yes I do have many complaints for Win 8 but not regarding Start Screen or Start Menu.

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
^^ i think there Is Option to Remove it:)
Ontopic:- Hell No. I dont have even used Win8 very satisfied with Win7

Prashmith

Journeyman
no way ever ever i miss the start button
I use the start Menu of win 8 and it all does right

Last edited:
Top Bottom