Do You Get Pissed Off At Others' Ignorance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us guys here are geeks. But we are not the only people in the world. There are also other "dumber mortals" who are simply too ignorant about technology. Do you get angry at them or their state ? Because many (including me) have confessed that its alright if they are ignorant, but if they stress their points and try to lecture you on what is right, it gets really annoying.

Let me give you some examples:

• a friend of mine thinks 2mbps means 2mb download per second. Another thinks that the 100mbps in the lan icon means that the net is at 100mbps. They try to teach me everyday that the reason we get slow speeds of <256 kbps is because the "servers are overloaded" and when I tell them that the "b" in kbps is actually bits, not bytes. Here, they suddenly start laughing at me, bring in a few more people, and explain that a bit can't exist independently. How ever I explain them, they try to prove their statements right, and when I come to MP3 files of 128 kbps being smaller than what they should be, they tell me about mp3 being a "compressed format"
  • wherever you go, people think MP3 players are iPods. When I tell someone that I have an mp3 player, they ask you to show them your "iPod", or ask you "which company is your iPod from ?"
  • people think that in a windows computer, downloading files and keeping them in the F drive slows down the computer, where windows is installed in C drive, even when the drive is never accessed, and (if they are your parent) scold you telling that downloading causes the computer to become slow
  • people think that OS and Windows are one and the same, and if you tell them that you have Fedora, they say there is no such windows as fedora as no OS was released after vista, etc and if you run Compiz Fusion, the n00by Mr. Smart asks you "When did you upgrade to vista ?"
there are several more examples, where you can get harassed or even bullied by people who think you "got it all wrong", or instances where people with half knowledge or incorrect information take some other meaning out of what you say.

So how pissed off are you ? Me being on the extreme side with a limited level of patience and being a linux guy, I expereince frequent instances of a murderous sensation at others.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Most of us guys here are geeks.
My God!! People love to call themselves geeks! :D I, for one, run away from this tag. I'm not a geek! No ways...

But we are not the only people in the world. There are also other "dumber mortals" who are simply too ignorant about technology. Do you get angry at them or their state ? Because many (including me) have confessed that its alright if they are ignorant, but if they stress their points and try to lecture you on what is right, it gets really annoying.
Best thing is to avoid them. Why do you wanna look like a fool arguing with another fool?

• a friend of mine thinks 2mbps means 2mb download per second.
Actually your friend is correct! 2mbps means 2mb download per second!! :))

..and explain that a bit can't exist independently.
This sentence makes no sense! :confused:

wherever you go, people think MP3 players are iPods. When I tell someone that I have an mp3 player, they ask you to show them your "iPod", or ask you "which company is your iPod from ?"
Blame Apple for that? :D

So how pissed off are you ?
I try to explain. If they stick on to their side of story and shun me then I sit back and enjoy their ignorance. Do it once.. its the best stress buster! :)) You can laff all day remembering those "jokes" :lol:

Me being on the extreme side
Extreme side?? :confused:

...with a limited level of patience and being a linux guy, I expereince frequent instances of a murderous sensation at others.
Are the two bolded things related in anyway??!!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
he he very common one
one when i bought my 7600GT 256MB for 11.5k[which i though it was a steal when market price was some 12~12.5], friends laughed at me saying they cud easily get '256MB Geforce' card for 3k. the thing they were saying was 6200.

i got tired trying to make dem understand, then i gave up and said "yup, i was fooled badly".
Why dont u try DOOM3 on ur '256MB geforce' card?? nd showed them at ultra 1280*960. he he. so they started believing " their cards were not really 256 ones" lol
i gave up again.

but now i ve some friends who too are interested i technology and when some noobs says something noobish, we just agree them and laugh at the noobism some other time with the tech friends. Its pointless to argue with them. They ll just learn it their way.
And we didnt signed ny treaty to teach every noobs we counter.....do we?

My God!! People love to call themselves geeks! :D I, for one, run away from this tag. I'm not a geek! No ways...

Best thing is to avoid them. Why do you wanna look like a fool arguing with another fool?

I try to explain. If they stick on to their side of story I sit back and enjoy their ignorance. Do it once.. its the best stress buster! :)) You can laff all day remembering those "joke" :lol:

1. I don't mean the tag geek. I mean the state of being aware of the current technology in computing

2. dude... you are really cool headed. But I am not. Arguementative nature is one thing I can never remove from myself

3. ... **** ...... ........

4. thats why I get even more pissed

5. then drgrudge will skin me alive:p

6. depends from person to person. When I am angry, I feel that the best way to remove my anger is by making someone else angry. Its like transfering my anger to them.

7. impatient. hate lil kids with leaky noses. get angry if someone mis-spells my name. guess the rest.

8. do you eat dosa with sause ?

he he very common one
one when i bought my 7600GT 256MB for 11.5k[which i though it was a steal when market price was some 12~12.5], friends laughed at me saying they cud easily get '256MB Geforce' card for 3k. the thing they were saying was 6200.

i got tired trying to make dem understand, then i gave up and said "yup, i was fooled badly".
Why dont u try DOOM3 on ur '256MB geforce' card?? nd showed them at ultra 1280*960. he he. so they started believing " their cards were not really 256 ones" lol
i gave up again.

but now i ve some friends who too are interested i technology and when some noobs says something noobish, we just agree them and laugh at the noobism some other time with the tech friends. Its pointless to argue with them. They ll just learn it their way.
And we didnt signed ny treaty to teach every noobs we counter.....do we?
happens all the time. same about Pentium D and Pentium Dual Core. My friend tells me that he has a Core2 Duo procesor(actually one of the oldest models, with 1.44 ghz core speed and very weak) and that it can easily beat the pentium dual core E2160(OCed to max by assembler) system my another friend was going to buy on my advice.

N00bs are ok but adamant, unwilling_to_learn, foolish n00bs are very irritating..
fully agree on that.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
... but adamant, unwilling_to_learn...
Lolz.. :lol: you can use a space here! Digit forums support using a space :D

1. I don't mean the tag geek. I mean the state of being aware of the current technology in computing

2. dude... you are really cool headed. But I am not. Arguementative nature is one thing I can never remove from myself

3. ... **** ...... ........

4. thats why I get even more pissed

5. then drgrudge will skin me alive:p

6. depends from person to person. When I am angry, I feel that the best way to remove my anger is by making someone else angry. Its like transfering my anger to them.

7. impatient. hate lil kids with leaky noses. get angry if someone mis-spells my name. guess the rest.

8. do you eat dosa with sause ?

happens all the time. same about Pentium D and Pentium Dual Core. My friend tells me that he has a Core2 Duo procesor(actually one of the oldest models, with 1.44 ghz core speed and very weak) and that it can easily beat the pentium dual core E2160(OCed to max by assembler) system my another friend was going to buy on my advice.
Sorry I can't relate your numbered points with my post so I'm kinda clueless which point is for what!!! :confused:

Btw, Yes I like Dosa with sauce! :p

Oh yes, one thing:

In no way being aware of current technologies in computing means being a geek!! Thats a misconception and I hate it when someone calls me a geek! I'm perfectly normal person... I study, I earn, I freak out with friends, I go shopping with my GF, I speak on phone for like 3 hours in a day minimum, I goto multiplexes (tho I don't watch movies on laptop etc.), I enjoy driving on highways.. :)

^^ OK, I got the defination of geek wrong. But still, being a geek is also normal. Whats wrong with that ? Whats wrong with a little *extra* intrest in computers ?

PS: dosa with sauce... sheesh ! What is this world getting to ?

Arey, nothing wrong bhai :)
then why are you saying the geek term is bad ?
Try it once! you'll love it! :D
*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/19a.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/19a.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/19a.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/19a.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/19a.gif
Btw, I haf a friend who eats curd-rice with orange marmalade!!! :D :)) :lol:
*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/39a.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/39a.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/39a.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/39a.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/39a.gif

ancientrites

In the zone
i rarely get pissed off but it happen today morning.as i was at cyber cafe chatting with the owner he is also a technician, a boy approaches and says his computer hangs up often. my friend said that it could be Ram problem then this kid replies sayin may be there is a big virus in the Ram.

expertno.1

Technomancer

after 14-15 days i just visited the forum and found what ? THIS ? now read :-

2mbps plan only gives approx 200 KB/s and not 2 MB/s

please clear yourself

SO Bsnl provides 2mbps i.e 200 KB/s
and 8mbps i.e 800 KB/s

for 2 MB/s speed u will require 20 mbps connection which i dont think is available in India .

the fastest connections for home i have ever heard is/are in the Taiwan Region having 28 mbps connection speeds i.e 2.8 MB/s

See this

*www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&rls=en&hs=HkX&q=2000+kbps+=+?KBps&btnG=Search

Thanks
Regards.....
Expertno.1

i rarely get pissed off but it happen today morning.as i was at cyber cafe chatting with the owner he is also a technician, a boy approaches and says his computer hangs up often. my friend said that it could be Ram problem then this kid replies sayin may be there is a big virus in the Ram.
*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif thats crazy:D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
then why are you saying the geek term is bad ?
Geek is not the correct term for ppl who are "interested in technology". Geek is a term who are "only interested in these things" and are outta touch from real world :)

please clear yourself

and 8mbps i.e 800 KB/s

for 2 MB/s speed u will require 20 mbps connection which i dont think is available in India .
Where has he mentioned 2MB/s? Its 2mbps! :D

So his is friend is rite when he says 2mbps = 2mb per sec. = 2 megabits per sec! :)

If his friend says 2mbps = 2megabytes per sec or = 2mBps then its wrong! So reading between the lines always helps :)

please clear yourself

and 8mbps i.e 800 KB/s

the fastest connections for home i have ever heard is/are in the Taiwan Region having 28 mbps connection speeds i.e 2.8 MB/s

See this

*www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&rls=en&hs=HkX&q=2000+kbps+=+?KBps&btnG=Search

Thanks
Regards.....
Expertno.1
>> 8 bits = 1 byte - (1)
>> 2 mega bits = 2/8 mega bytes - from (1)
=> 2 mega bits = 1/4 mega bytes - (2)
>> 1 mega byte = 1024 kilo bytes - (3)
=> 2 mega bits = 1/4 * 1024 mega bytes - from (3)
=> 2 mega bits = 256 kilo bytes

hope you understood the calculation now(any body will understand it the way I typed)

moral of the story:

BSNL 2MBPS means 256 kb in one second

expertno.1

Technomancer

I try to explain. If they stick on to their side of story and shun me then I sit back and enjoy their ignorance. Do it once.. its the best stress buster! :)) You can laff all day remembering those "jokes" :lol:

Geek is not the correct term for ppl who are "interested in technology". Geek is a term who are "only interested in these things" and are outta touch from real world :)

So his is friend is rite when he says 2mbps = 2mb per sec. = 2 megabits per sec! :)

If his friend says 2mbps = 2megabytes per sec or = 2mBps then its wrong! So reading between the lines always helps :)

Haha i cant stop ROTFLOL.................
"makes difference in SPEAKING" :razz: ;)

Thanks
Regards.....
Expertno.1

*www.bsatroop115.org/_borders/Scout_Sign.jpg.gif
now read between the lines :lol:
Haha i cant stop ROTFLOL.................
"makes difference in SPEAKING" :razz: ;)

Thanks
Regards.....
Expertno.1
I didn't understand a single word. Please rewrite.

expertno.1

Technomancer
listen bro in general language everyone speaks of mb per second then he means mega byte per second and not mega bit per second .....
even see yourself if you speak that u get 7 mb persecond speed of copying files from a cd then you mean mega byte and not mega bit .

i mean if we speak mb in general we analyse it as "mega byte"

and in speaking only not in typing .....

coz this topic is really a mess from each point of posters view ......so stop it .....we know what are the differences for mbps and MBps ....afterall we all are digitans .

Thanks
Regards.....
Expertno.1

^^though it all seems offtopic, you have touched the main point.
ppl like me get pissed off when people assume different meanings for things from what is actually true.

expertno.1

Technomancer
^^though it all seems offtopic, you have touched the main point.
Thats what i am here for ;)

ppl like me get pissed off when people assume different meanings for things from what is actually true.

that happened with me in the "325 + songs thread ...." i almost got tired of making him understand the basic reasons and he always thought it from another point ....uuuuf

anyways here is my intopic :D :-

1. the cd-dvd local shopkeeper has dvd's .......in which one dvd has 6 movie ....like dvd comes 6in1 and blahblah but all are 4.8 gb ones .

whenever i tell him that the picture quality is poor .....he says bhaiya its dvd quality !! see its DVD !! OMG OMG

2 . he also converts that 6 movies dvd into single cds and upon asking quality of picture he says "bhaiya yeh sab to DVD se copy kiya hua hai DVD quality hai "

and then I DIE :mad:

more i ahve in my mind ......will be posting wait.....

Thanks
Regards.....
Expertno.1

Let me put the philosophy of humbleness on the backseat for a while.

This is my personal experience about a customer service lady in Exatt Boardand:

I use 512 Kbps(kilo bits per second)(or convert it into 64 kilo bytes per second) download speed package. That day, I was getting low speeds of around 320 kbps(or convert it into 40 KB/s). I called up the customer service and told the lady about this issue. And here came the pisser!

She told me that speeds for "surfing" are normally near 60% of the download speed advertised in the package, where as speed while "downloading(a file)" is as advertised in the package. Now just observe how manipulative she was. She tried to convince me that 320 kbps on a 512 kbps connection(which is about 62.5%) is normal as it close to 60%(God knows how this lady made this 60% rule!). Moreover when I opposed her and told that I had used Sify Broadband and Pacenet Broadband in the past where there was no such 60% rule, she told me that "Kisiko ko bhi puchlo Sir, surfing ka speed 60% hi hota hai hamesha"(Ask anybody. They will tell you that surfing speed is about 60%).

The noobish part of it is that she does not know the basics of downloading and surfing. She was not aware that downloading and surfing are basically same because both involve flow of data from server to client PC.

The darker point to note: That the 60% rule was manipulated, immediately led me to the impression that "Some employees at Exatt Broadband not only know their basic but are aslo taught to tell blatant lies to customers and take them for a ride" I still feel like slapping that lady(just my good manners holding me back!). I hate people who charge for services which they can't deliver competently.
when I got MY broadband first, the BSNL 250 scheme that was(then) 256 kbps and 400mb limit, the BSNL guy told that Surfing is free, there will be no charge at all, but you can only download 0.4 gb. I was a n00b back then (2 years back) and ate his words. But later, i realised my mistake and switched to 500 plan(exactly when 2mbps was launched)

I got really angry that time.

Thats what i am here for ;)

that happened with me in the "325 + songs thread ...." i almost got tired of making him understand the basic reasons and he always thought it from another point ....uuuuf

anyways here is my intopic :D :-

1. the cd-dvd local shopkeeper has dvd's .......in which one dvd has 6 movie ....like dvd comes 6in1 and blahblah but all are 4.8 gb ones .

whenever i tell him that the picture quality is poor .....he says bhaiya its dvd quality !! see its DVD !! OMG OMG

2 . he also converts that 6 movies dvd into single cds and upon asking quality of picture he says "bhaiya yeh sab to DVD se copy kiya hua hai DVD quality hai "

and then I DIE :mad:

more i ahve in my mind ......will be posting wait.....

Thanks
Regards.....
Expertno.1
we could have been twins...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom