Do You Get Pissed Off At Others' Ignorance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
As long as you are his teacher, you should stop judging, stop discriminating, stop ridiculing, instead motivate him.
rohan_shenoy said:
it gives me an impression that you think that it is a teachers and only the teachers responsibility to see that student becomes successful in life
when the student is unwilling to learn, its not because he want to get spoiled or he has planned his life ahead 50 years already. He is stubborn and its a typical aspect of any teenager, if not for studies, in some other aspect. While you know what lies ahead you ignore his ignorance of how bitter life can be. That is Evil. How can he react to what you say if what you say doesn't make sense to him at all. If you understand that, then you would be trying different ways of convincing him what this is all about.

And now we have reached a point where the conversation is just garrulous. It doesn't make sense to continue the conversation anymore. All I can ask for is, think about it.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Offtopic:Since when did this thread change topics from "Getting pissed off at others" to "Teaching Etiquette 101"?

Chill out guys.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Offtopic:Since when did this thread change topics from "Getting pissed off at others" to "Teaching Etiquette 101"?
Sorry for getting this into a hijack but I find the point that he brings forward under this topic that people are ignorant because they lack basic English skills astoundingly hard to digest. Nonetheless I won't post again unless directly addressed to.

yuck! u guys have wasted this brilliant thread.
Shame on you.

If you have noticed the only point I have argued against is the English theory. Show me a single post which I have made in this thread other than the English point and possibly the fact that people feel irritated because someone inadvertently addressed a MP3 player as an iPod.

I'm going to be as polite as possible hoping that you will be a man and own up to your own standards.
Did I ever claim anywhere that I knew all in the subject where I pointed out mistakes in people?
Yet why are you irritated / angry or simple English grammar mistakes when you yourself admit that you don't know it well enough. What gives you the right to be irritated at someone who stutters or stammers? If you can judge others on these standards . Answer this simple question.
Why cant I judge you by it too?
And those who returned it by pointing my mistakes are welcome. Just for your satisfaction, you guys have pointed only 10-15 mistakes, ask me personally and I will point to 100 more mistakes of mine.
Shame on you! To criticize the people who try to speak English when you barely have a grasp on the topic at all. Yet you address them as "an ignorant " while you can do no better yourself.
If you read carefully, I have maintained that "one should learn certain minimum things in stipulated time."
You don't have to go to IIT to know the appropriate usage of pronouns, commas, spelling , etc. If you didn't know pretty much every student learn the spelling of basic three letter words, capitalization, usage of pronouns by 5th Grade. For your benefit I'm considering the time stipulation of XIIth grade. Tell me sir , as "an ignorant" by your definition and a teacher how does that make you feel? Don't like me judging you eh? Trust me, no one does.
But what you missed out in the process was the "Perspective". If you read carefully, I have maintained that "one should learn certain minimum things in stipulated time."
Yes, I agree with you here. Its all based on a persons perspective. And may I say that your "perspective" is flawed to the core. Who sets these standards? Have you been to any camps which try to educate people in India? Would you like to know the Age groups of some of the people who come there (for your information I recently went for one and if they call me again I will go again). Are you saying that the efforts that we take as a society is foolish or a waste of time? That people shouldn't be taught anything more after "your whatsoever time stipulations".
But please stop using words like moronic, and lunatic just because you don't agree. It won't be associated with me in any way. Of course you have every right to get pissed off at me. I know much abusive words, just that I prefer not to use it.
For your clarification my post was
Now let me ask you again. May I hold you to your moronic standards sir?. If so then may I reply to the topic "Do You Get Pissed Off At Others' Ignorance ?" with the following answer.
The word "moronic" is an adjective . Again the word is used to describe your standards. I don't recall calling you a moron there. Has your doubt been clarified?
Man, why are you blowing it of proportion. Read the posts carefully, I have spoken of language in "formal" issues. Do you get that? You guyz have been applying it to non-formal conversation and then wasted your time pointing to my non-formal posts on this forum. Just to clarify, dig up my posts and you will find me too using that non-formal english(which praka123 called as Indian English).
I'm blowing it out of proportion to hammer in some sense in your head. How does the example of student who asks you whether you would attend the next class represent any kind of formal communication?

And the worst is when people are themselves aware that they can't communicate properly in English but still try to speak in English as if its their mother tongue. They, most of the times, end up doing "aan", "uun" in between every 2 words. And then there is another breed of English speakers who like to start every sentence of their with a "its like" or "basically". And the big shock is that some of them have attended "English speaking classes" and think that they can English most fluently among others. They think using words such as "basically" or "like" at the start of every sentence ass to their "Style quotient" but only the listener know how irritating it is to listen to such a jerky and broken speech.

Hindi-English remix is acceptable for informal conversations but can make you a butt of joke in professional conversations.
Here is your post. What would you like all these students who get educated and go for interviews wait until they learn to speak English properly? Oh wait, that was supposed to be the job of teachers in the first place. But unfortunately , someone just totally ignored him. I bet you that some of those students you claim to have gotten through those years with probably 90-100% couldn't hold their ground when probably judged by the standards you just posted in this forum. By the way, I've been a recruiter before. I've done interviews. We don't throw people out cause they stutter or accidentally use words like "Basically" quite a few time in their sentence but rather for inadequate knowledge of the subject they are being reviewed for.
I was talking with reference to "When", "Where", "What", "How". Eg: You can't use the Indian English when you are presenting to a abroad company. But you guys have missed out it and applied my words to each and every situation in your life. Do you think this is done?
Would you rather prefer them to speak in their local dialect whatever it is? They talk like that because they don't know better, they haven't been taught better or no one got it through their heads that they would need it later. These people are teenagers. How many teenagers do you know that had their whole future planned out right in front of them . A few maybe, a majority? Absolutely not.
Few people didn't read my posts properly and it returned to me as abusive words and questions over my morals and sanity. I wish instead of impatiently using such abusive words, if they have bothered to read carefully through my words, they would have saved a lot of time and energy themselves without spoiling the spirit.
And to anybody who replies henceforth, please discuss in a civilized manner. Avoid raising question over morals or sanity over a person whom you know from just a few posts. If you want to use abusive words, please leave this thread.
The only post I took actual time to read was yours. Basically, I think you know more than well that the posts you made depicting people as "ignorants" was a bit far fetched. Not to mention that you felt like slapping a lady cause she said what her job required you to say :/ . That is just wrong and lets not even go there.
Basically your posts and semantics about your morals are an amusement to me.
All few those who explained me the standards to be followed in teaching, I would like to know how many of you have taught(professionally) or did you draw those theories based on your imaginations and expectations, without having the feel of reality? To elaborate this point: I am sure that in your school/college/classes/etc. there must have been atleast 1 student who was so not interested in study, troublesome or so disturbing that he had to be thrown out of the class. Now would you allow that student to disturb your learning process of those 70-80 students in that class who are slow-learners but concentrating on learning? I am sure you always said "Achha hua class se bahar bhej diya. Shanti se padh sakenge". Now I told you the same thing, and you questioned my morals? Do do you feel you are justified.
Don't write your own theories of teaching, come down on the ground and feel the reality.
Ok , now I am pissed :x . Read the above and you will know why. You do not know me at all. Do not assume you know my profession. Imaginations and expectations?I'm going to ask you. How long have you been a professor???
To elaborate this point: I am sure that in your school/college/classes/etc. there must have been atleast 1 student who was so not interested in study, troublesome or so disturbing that he had to be thrown out of the class.
You assume that. There is no such thing as a student who is not interested in Knowledge.There are distracted and probably lazy but nothing some good attention can't fix. By the way if you didn't know its often the distracted and probably lazy students that do quite well in the field (in the actual world).
Don't write your own theories of teaching, come down on the ground and feel the reality.
Coming from you all I have to say is "Go buy yourself a clue."
I am baffled at such level of over expectations.
Over expectations are defined by the expectations the character defines himself. If yours are low you will find mines will be high. If a student fails in my subject then it was not the failure of the student but rather the failure of me. This is my expectation.
You are right on target, but may be you are a little strong. It only provokes the other person not to obtain your perspective and insight in your post and rather give sarcastic replies or something. Just a suggestion. you did not say anything wrong. I hope you get the point.
Fair enough, I will refrain from posting any further unless addressed to me.

PS Apologies to anyone else who feels I have offended them in this thread in anyway :/

Last edited:

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Woah! Hold on.Where did all of Rohan's post disappear? ;)
I deleted it myself. I tried a put my point but I have given up. Don't want any headache to prove to what what my point is. People and me both are happy with our opinions and decided to keep it as they are. I am happier whether people agree or not with me ;)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Its not good netiquette to delete your posts like that! Now this has left the whole conversation meaningless :| If you decide to stop posting, stop posting! But at least do not delete your previous posts! I hope you get what i meant :)

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^^ Its not good netiquette to delete your posts like that! Now this has left the whole conversation meaningless :| If you decide to stop posting, stop posting! But at least do not delete your previous posts! I hope you get what i meant :)
Yes, I know that the discussion has broken and I am happy about it for many reasons.

kalpik

Well.. Good it made you happy.. But don't make it a habit.. Even now i can restore all your posts, but i respect your decision :) But please don't repeat it in future.. Don't post at all if you are gonna delete all your posts later :|

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Well.. Good it made you happy.. But don't make it a habit.. Even now i can restore all your posts, but i respect your decision :) But please don't repeat it in future.. Don't post at all if you are gonna delete all your posts later :|
If I knew the thread is going to turn this way, I would never post here.
Its kind of you to not restore the posts. Thank you.

BTW what would have been the case if I had not deleted my posts:
Someone else would come read the heated discussion and again posted some abusive comments. Who wants it? Neither me nor anyone else wants it. Do you think anybody lurking through this thread wants to see tons of cock-fighting posts? I guess no, and did my bit.

I put up a realistic point and people showed me imaginary dimensions of it. Was this the purpose? or do I need approval of anybody to practice my ideology. What I think is correct in practice, I will do it.

kalpik

That's what the report button is for. If you feel a thread is going of track, you should report it. Rest assured, prompt action will be taken :) I had my eyes on this thread, but did not take any action cause no one reported it. Guess i should have closed it long back. My bad :) Anyway, i think this thread has lived its life, so am locking it :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
JYFI, Rohan had in fact reported. But I didn't take action as I felt there's no merit in closing.. just because someone hijacked the topic.

Anyway the thread is better now staying in locked state. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom