Do You Get Pissed Off At Others' Ignorance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Calling every mp3 player an iPod is not a mistake of Apple.

It is the mistake of
1 Chinese who make el cheapo copies.
2 People who sell these el cheapo player be they at eBay or in palika bazaar in delhi (I am unsure but lemington road in mumbai)and all such places where you get these low quality electronics.

legolas

Padawan
Has anyone noticed that people use the word Xerox instead of PhotoCopy ? How many of these shitheads even HAVE xerox machines?
Reg. Photocopy and Xerox, it seems dictionaries refer xerox to mean photocopy (in lower case). However, Xerox company seems to be requesting the term not to be used that way. Its not only used or misinterpreted in India. Its through out the world...
Its a common misconception on the usage of words that happens when 1 particular company ruled for a long time as in

Maggi for noodles
Colgate for Toothpaste and so on...

Even the usage "anyone who this concerns" is not right!! :lol:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
To the posters above.
*www.thefreedictionary.com/Xerox

Lets talk about poor English..

So you can how poorly trained his vocabulary was

Mistake 1.

And to my surprise, this Hindi-English translation is pathetic even in some highly educated people

Mistake 2. You are referring to the certain phrase you have translated, while it should point to Hindi-English translation as a whole.

And the worst is when people are themselves aware that they can't communicate properly in English but still try to speak in English as if its their mother tongue. They, most of the times, end up doing "aan", "uun" in between every 2 words.

Mistake 3. I'm not even going into the grammar of this sentence and other mistakes. Also do you recommend that we gag all the people who stutter?

They think using words such as "basically" or "like" at the start of every sentence ass to their "Style quotient" but only the listener know how irritating it is to listen to such a jerky and broken speech.

Mistake 4.

Hindi-English remix is acceptable for informal conversations but can make you a butt of joke in professional conversations.

Mistake 5.

They bother least to even try for it and ending hurling abuses at their destiny or somebody other.

Mistake 6.

They are free to learn and I am not opposing learning

Mistake 7.

Let me quote what you said for emphasis.

And the worst is when people are themselves aware that they can't communicate properly in English but still try to speak in English as if its their mother tongue.

May I hold you up to the same standards sir? What are the "time stipulations" for learning basic English grammar? By the way , I hope you are not an English Professor cause that would be rather ironic.

Judging people is fun isn't it? But when it comes to holding yourself up at the same standards you fail miserably. Don't worry this is pretty much the case in everyone. Although, I cannot believe that the current generation depends on teachers like you for their survival. Teaching is probably the most noble profession out there. Yet you somehow manage to find ways to degrade it by setting up artificial boundaries which gives you yet another reason to humiliate average or below average students.

All I have to say is this. To my friends on this forum. Stop judging people based on your technical knowledge because there will always be someone else somewhere which would probably laugh at you for being ignorant somewhere.

PS: Before you even try to, don't go to the extra effort to check my spelling or grammar. I know it sucks.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the KNOWLEDGE of our own ignorance. - Charles
Haddon Spurgeon

Last edited:

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Out of all these things we have spoken, there is nothing that matches this - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=763564&postcount=414

legolas

Padawan
@exx_2000 +1
Lets talk about poor English..

May I hold you up to the same standards sir? What are the "time stipulations" for learning basic English grammar?

Judging people is fun isn't it? But when it comes to holding yourself up at the same standards you fail miserably. Don't worry this is pretty much the case in everyone. Although, I cannot believe that the current generation depends on teachers like you for their survival. Teaching is probably the most noble profession out there.

as Praka123 said :D
^so ppl thinks like Me :p

praka123

left this forum longback
ontopic: Has anyone noticed that people use the word Xerox instead of PhotoCopy ? Even most techies do that. Back in Ahmedabad, I hardly found anyone using xerox, but once I came to bangalore, the "IT City" there is no photocopy. Only Xerox. How many of these shitheads even HAVE xerox machines ? They either have Cannon or Modi or some local machine.
Heh!I havent heard anyone unless someone who come from outside state who says "xerox" or as tamilians says "Jerax" :D.In TN,I am 100% sure ppl says it as jerax though(as I studied there).

Here in Kerala,it is called Photostat.though I have seen xerox written in shops.but ppl call it Photostat :p .may be we are different ;)
and paste is called paste only,same goes to noodles also. :p

legolas

Padawan
Not every1 say Jerax :D People who have no fluency or knowledge of English language speak that way. I am pretty sure all "nayar" tea stall owners in TamilNadu also spell that way :D :lol:
Photocopy also seems to be outdated. Source: Wikipedia

"Photostat" is an outdated term for a photocopy. Some languages include hybrid terms, such as the widely used Polish term kserokopia ("xerocopy"), even though relatively few photocopiers are of the Xerox brand.
In Kerala, paste is called paste only,same goes to noodles
:) Ok, if you say so! :)

legolas

Padawan
@MetalheadGautham, Yes, they are never equal. But its not ignorance. Its negligence. Everyone knows it. They are reluctant and/or negligent.

narangz

Web developer
Judging people is fun isn't it? But when it comes to holding yourself up at the same standards you fail miserably. Don't worry this is pretty much the case in everyone. Although, I cannot believe that the current generation depends on teachers like you for their survival. Teaching is probably the most noble profession out there. Yet you somehow manage to find ways to degrade it by setting up artificial boundaries which gives you yet another reason to humiliate average or below average students.

All I have to say is this. To my friends on this forum. Stop judging people based on your technical knowledge because there will always be someone else somewhere which would probably laugh at you for being ignorant somewhere.

+1. Sir, you took the words out of my mouth!

praka123

left this forum longback
Not every1 say Jerax :D People who have no fluency or knowledge of English language speak that way. I am pretty sure all "nayar" tea stall owners in TamilNadu also spell that way :D :lol:
Photocopy also seems to be outdated. Source: Wikipedia

:) Ok, if you say so! :)
No,dont defend what I said religiously!.I am very much fluent in tamil,know the ways there as I had stayed almost 8 years(95-02) in Coimbatore,Madras etc.

Indeed,I have seen such habits of calling jerax for photostat or maggi for noodles are found only in TN I suppose.
BTW,what is the use of calling "nair's" as tea makers?I know many bakery owners are from Thalaserry,Kannur(Malabar) etc(mappila muslims).but dont know specially about nairs.they are big entreprenuers and cultured,and NO,I am NOT a nair before u confirm!

nairs are not what is shown in thiruda thirudi padam or some old flop taamil film OK?if I go with logic,may I tell u what TN are called in Kerala and other states(karnataka)?
please dont bring the region thing :-| I am pretty much against this.I am stopping here.

already experienced a lot of tams who have malayaliphobia(NI too!) u too? :-|

legolas

Padawan
Hi Praka123, I did not bring religion certainly into account. I thought you were joking, (certainly??) and I played along. I was born in Nagercoil and I have lived my life in Tamilnadu. You should also think before saying all Tamilians saying "Jerax". Its what illiterates tell when they don't know how to spell and who just try and imitate what people say... and you very well knew that when you mentioned, dint ya? You quoted "they are big entreprenuers and cultured". This is exactly what I felt to say when I read your post!! but, I assumed you were joking, seems you weren't?

I am certainly not against any states... even in particular Malayalis... I have got lots and lots of friends there. My father worked there for 8 years and am fluent with the language too. I have been to many places, got lots of cousins. So, Certainly not is the answer. No Malayali or any other phobia of religions or castes...

And for your kind information, photostat is certainly right but outdated (so it seems). And, its not only in TN. Just do a google search to see how many countries say that. Even Oxford dictionary has an entry for it in spite of the efforts of Xerox company to try not to use the term as a verb. Please don't say you are 100% sure that all tamilians say Jerax.

I did not mention all nairs as tea stall owners. I mentioned it because, most of the tea shops are owned by malayalis through out Tamilnadu and if not most, some of them have expanded and supplemented with photocopying, call booth etc... It was not intended to ridicule a class. You might have also seen movies where tea stalls are owned by nairs and comedians ridicule them (its just for fun i mentioned here.. not to be taken seriously)

Sensitive topics always tend to lose the actual meaning by overlooking it!! :( I will restrain from replying to those posts and just point out like you did.

take it easy!

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ LOL, Legolas, you attract controversy with whatever you post. :p
BTW yea, exx_2000 is absolutely right.

legolas

Padawan
either that or I am not easily offended. :( and I shouldn't assume the same about others.
But, I did not mention anything ill towards any religion or caste. I repeat, I did not!! I just dint take up on mentioning all Tamilians saying "Jerax" (which is very colloquial and undermining a literate's potential), rather replied with equal sarcasm (assuming it was intended the same way)!! :(

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Wow! Must say this thread has pulled off some really good points.Now coming down to my opinion.

Question:"Do You Get Pissed Off At Others' Ignorance ?"
Answer: No

Well,not exactly 'no' but it depends on the situation.Hate an attitude which is puffing yourself with vanity even though one has nothing to prove it.I steer clear off people who tend to ignore facts & be adamant on their own theories.On the other hand people who are genuinely willing to learn something & acknowledge the fact that you are passing on the right information is what matters to me.

I work for a contact centre which has a certain aspect of explaining our customers how to get a USB modem to connect to the internet.Now these are Australian customers we are talking about.We can assume these people are way more advanced then we are but believe me many of them are just shifting from dial up connection to broadband.During our troubleshooting process there are many folks who tell us outright that we are computer illiterate & don't know head or tail about how it works.I highly appreciate when a person says that because we know he isn't hiding anything & trying to show off something which he/she doesn't know.Heck many of them constantly keep apologising which makes me feel a bit awkward because I know they are doing pretty well.I have to constantly pep talk them to make give them confidence that they can actually use it & it's only a matter of practice on it.

People still feel that if they know computers they know the world.Well that's not the case.I am no geek nor do I have hardcore knowledge of computers but the little that I know(correctly that is) I try to spread it across.We have to realise that not everyone has the same set of brains.There are people who are ignorant but are willing to learn & accept facts.Then there is a bunch who chooses to live with the phrase 'Ignorance is bliss' & won't accept the truth even if it hit them in their nuts.So learn from people who know & spread it to people who don't know.;)

There was a nice little mail that I had in my outlook Inbox at work about Tech Support woes.I'll see if I can get it & post it here.Was really hilarious.

legolas

Padawan
Don't let your imagination and vocabulary run wild. You are mixing up two words, Ignorant and slow-learning.
Before I continue with my reply, I just wanted to ensure that the conversation here is not a clash of both of our egos and purely conversational and again, I insist, not personal. I don't judge you. If you get offended, please tell me. I will restrain from responding. This is just a conversation with respect to a difference of opinion which I try to criticize as constructively as I can. Again, please mention if you find anything offending as you told before, I will make sure it doesn't happen again.
Ignorants are those who don't bother to learn. Slow-learners are willing to learn. Slow-learners cannot be called ignorants, and ignorants cannot be called slow-learners. There is a big difference in their attitudes.
1) Very true. I can get the difference you mentioned well.
2) Since you are equally inclined in English language usage, I must mention that "ignorants" is not a word. You should have formed the sentence with ignorance instead. leaving it aside,
We go out of our way for teaching slow-learners,that is our job, but even if we do this for ignorants, we will be leaving out hundreds of slow-learners who are willing to learn.
I am not sure of this.
Let me clear your doubt: I have a student who failed in Std.XI. He somehow passed Std.XI. in next attempt and joined my private tuitions(Biology) for Std.XII.
Ok, here I have a few things I have to really mention.
1) I dint know you were teaching tuitions for higher secondary. That is awesome!!
2) My question from the conversations here is that, to quote, "if that kid after failing in the 11th had come to you (before taking another attempt), from your point of view, would you have judged him and dismissed thinking he is ignorant and that is why he failed??" How do you decide there?
3) They are 16,17 years old. Of course they are misguided. Its the job of a teacher and parents (equally) to guide and veer/steer them in the right direction. Some kids are naturally shrewd. Others lose track. They are ignorant and incapable of understanding the virtues at that period.
3a) Would you dismiss a drug user and not produce him to a rehabilitation center because he has lost his mind? or he is arrogant, violent and filled with vindictive motives.. Of course he is.. he is lost!! He needs guidance! (more than any)
3b) To give another ex:, if the police were to think that the crime rate is definitely increasing and no matter how the law is and how strict they are, crime rate is the same or increasing and leave it... what will happen?? They are also paid and they assumed or accepted the responsibilities, distress and other factors when they brought themselves into it.
Similar is your case. When you entitle yourself to be a teacher... your motives should be to guide the student. I hope you got what I wanted to explain from the analogy.
"God helps them those who help themselves".
Sorry, not a fan of adages or quotes or proverbs... They are time, space specific.
And as I said, don't mix slow-learners and ignorants. Their is a vast difference.
Would you or did you tell this to your Tuition center authorities or managers when you signed for the job??

Take it easy!!

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
rohan said:
No offense felt here, but yes, I am willing to learn.
No offense, but then thats an example of a soul ignorant bt the definition of ignorance, but "bothered/willing" to learn bt the korrect definition!!

Average or slow learners can be improved upon but ignorants(by choice) cannot. Hope you get it correct.
:oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom