Do we need a Recycle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

prashantisonline

Super Natural
Hi everyone,

If we talk about those users who have been using computers from long, I was just wondering if they really need a Recycle Bin?
If I talk about most of my friends or myself, we use Shift+Del. And even if we see any trash in Recycle Bin, we immediately empty it.
So just wanted comments from all those who have been using computers from a while that do we need Recycle Bin facility anymore?

PS: Intention is not to remove the feature but to provide a customizable option where one can remove the Recycle bin altogether.

forgive me if I sound absurd!!!

Prashant

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
I agree with you. Who needs Recycle bin.
Coz If we accidently delete some imp. data , there are many tools for recovery so nothing to fear.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U can disable Recycle Bin permanently, just right-click on the Recycle Bin icon on Desktop and select Properties.

Now check the option "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted." :)

PS: I need Recycle Bin. Many times I just send a file to recycle bin to know whether I can delete the file or not? i.e., to know whether the file is being accessed by the system or not?

mediator

Technomancer
Hi Prashant.....I think this shud have been in fight club :D !
Neways I think Recycle bin is necessary! Many a times ppl tend to delete documents without foreseing its imprtance in future. And when they delete it they realise how valuable it was and then they tend to retrieve it back!
I have saved many of my Mom's documents by retrieving them back from recycle bin. Recycle bin is necessary unless u are short of disk space!
If u tend to use recycle bin properly then u wont have to rely and waste time on recovery softwares. In mah opinion its better to remove recycle bin from desktop instead of removing it completely from the system! That way u wont keep on emptying recycle bin....as it becomes habit of emptying it again n again after putting every next document in it!

OP
prashantisonline

prashantisonline

Super Natural
Vishal Gupta said:
U can disable Recycle Bin permanently, just right-click on the Recycle Bin icon on Desktop and select Properties.

Now check the option "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted." :)

PS: I need Recycle Bin. Many times I just send a file to recycle bin to know whether I can delete the file or not? i.e., to know whether the file is being accessed by the system or not?

Hi Vishal,

You make a really important point! I fully agree with the use you suggested for Recycle Bin, which is of course, not intended by the one who designed it :)!
Prashant

Last edited:

aadipa

Padawan
Even if I don't need recycle bin, my PC is used by many other family members, who may delete few file by mistake. In that case, recycle bin is a must.

anandk

Distinguished Member
for obvious reasons stated above even i find it prudent o delete to the recycle bin first, lest we want to restore something back which we may have deleted accidentaly. the file recovery tools may not work always. the deleted files may not be recoverable sometimes.

but i prefer not to keep it on my desktop (who keeps a dust bin in the hall :) )
i prefer to 'keep' it in the MyComputer, in the 'Other' Group. u can use TweakUI also to achieve this.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
i need recycle bin ..thats it coz i feel dustbin is needed sometimes u would have accidently thrown 1 million cheque into it thinking it as a piece of paper :))

shaunak

Tux Fan
i had the bad habit of pressing shift+delete every time. But i have accidentaly lost a few important files[and unsucessfully trying to recover them] this way.
Trying to kick the habbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom