Disk Partition: Should I be Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
I have a dual boot Ubuntu & Windows XP system. Recently, after upgrading to Edgy Eft (6.10), I used the gParted tool from Ubuntu to increase the swap space. Now everything went off fine, and both operating systems don't have any problems. Expect that in windows, if I open partition magic, it detects the main HDD as 'BAD' (see attached pic). But the windows disk management reports its as fine(pic attached).

What does the 'BAD' mean? Is it a cause for concern to my HDD? The only noticable difference after this has occured is that when I boot into windows, before the login screen comes up, the system seems to pause for about 5-7 seconds, with just a blank screen. After which it works fine.

I don't want to risk losing the data on my drive. Please let me know what you guys think of this...

Cheers
Aditya

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Use Norton Disk Doctor or any other tool for that matter
to scan the partitions at cluster level
Then come to a conclusion

satyamy

Alive Again...
its upto U whether u want to Experiment on ur HDD or want to go to safe side
what ever it be
first of all take a backup of all ur files in CD's or DVD's (so u not suffer from any dataloss)
than if u want to go to safe side format ur hdd & re-partion it......:)
it will solve ur prob
or otherwise continue to do experiment using utilities like Disk Doctor etc...
u'll get many of them just google a little..........

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
ne other freeware tool wich will help me partition my drive. cant use format option by right clicking on the drive as i get an error message :
"Windows was unable to complete the format"

n when i use format from command prompt, i get this error message:
"Cannot determine file system of drive H:"
previously i used to get
"Cannot open volume for direct access"

help me out..........

kinjo

Right off the assembly line
gauravakaasid said:
ne other freeware tool wich will help me partition my drive. cant use format option by right clicking on the drive as i get an error message :
"Windows was unable to complete the format"

n when i use format from command prompt, i get this error message:
"Cannot determine file system of drive H:"
previously i used to get
"Cannot open volume for direct access"

help me out..........

delete the partion first.....then format it (i used partion magic when my HD got screwed...)

Bookworm

Banned
Delete the whole partition. Reformat it by using Windows NTFS partition mode. Don't use quick format. :-|

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Delete the whole partition. Reformat it by using Windows NTFS partition mode. Don't use quick format. :-|

what happen dude may be the starter had gone some where else ,, is there someone who close the OLD threads ??, sometimes i too forget to see the dates :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom