Discussion - To keep the toilet seat up or not to

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
There are many jokes or humorous lines about the fights/arguments between husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend regarding the issue of toilet seat position.

I want to have a decision once for all - technically which is the best position of a toilet seat? And why do ladies want it down?

My understanding is that keeping the toilet seat up does 2 things:
1. Drains any water droplets from the surface making it suitable for sitting on.
2. Avoids soiling by urine from those who pee standing up.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Men should lift it up when urinating.

Then keep it down if they wish. Doesn't matter. But pee only with the seat up.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
why ladies want it down? the same reason guys want it up, nobody wants to toggle it's position before using it

there is an answer, it depends on the number of males to females in the household.

*i.imgur.com/aTco5Wm.gif

Through the use of mathematical modeling, the analysis in this paper has shown that the optimal placement of the toilet seat can be calculated based on the number of males relative to the number of females. The general result (that is not sensitive to reasonable changes in Axiom 3) is that when the number of females in a household is greater than or equal to the number of males the optimal placement of the toilet seat is down.

src : UP OR DOWN? AN EFFICIENCY-BASED ARGUMENT FOR OPTIMAL TOILET SEAT PLACEMENT | Science Creative Quarterly

little known fact, Hindu men are not allowed to pee standing up

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Why on earth would someone want to keep it open? I always, ALWAYS keep it down, and no I am not a woman.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^yep. agree. but reason is splash damage

don't see why making a splash should be ok irrespective of whether or not it is up

vkl

Cyborg Agent
little known fact, Hindu men are not allowed to pee standing up

what?lol,never heard/knew of it. Also there is a difference between giving advice/instructing and not allowing.
Such a thing exists in Islam from what it seems.
Muslim bathroom etiquette - islamqa.info
Standing and Urinating in Islam
Dwindling In Unbelief: Islam: It's mostly about going to the bathroom

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
oh ok... The pujari reveals a set of rules to be followed after thread ceremony, it's one of these rules. so you are allowed to stand up and go before the thread ceremony, not after. it is not advice/instruction it is religious rule only.

icebags

Technomancer
toilet should really be kept clean and dry (except the water holder place) and toilet seat, should remain up when not using, otherwise it will just become stock room for all sort of keetanus. :D

to tell, really, the bathroom should be kept as much clean & dry as possible, with a big window (2x2 window is recommended minimum for common 3x8 bathrooms) so that light and air may pass through and work as natural exhaust.

:)

vkl

Cyborg Agent
oh ok... The pujari reveals a set of rules to be followed after thread ceremony, it's one of these rules. so you are allowed to stand up and go before the thread ceremony, not after. it is not advice/instruction it is religious rule only.
Didn't know about it.Dunno much about ceremonies and rituals but I think thread ceremony is only for Brahmins. :)

Top Bottom