Disaster Management Thread

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Please excuse me if such a thread already exists, I request the mods to merge it.

I have been searching on preparing an emergency disaster kit, and thought it would be nice if we could have a thread where everyone could share their knowledge and clarify any doubts.

So far, I've found that an emergency kit should atleast have the following:
  1. Torch light
  2. Radio
  3. Extra Batteries
  4. General Medicines
  5. Maps
  6. Water(2 to 3 liter per person)
  7. Food
  8. Whistle
  9. Knife

My concerns are:
  • How to make find the bag in night, in case of a disaster? How to make it "glow in dark"?
  • Many websites recommend having documents related to identity in it. Would that be safe?
  • What are the other essential things to be included?
  • How to store water, making sure it is drinkable at the time of a disaster? Packed bottles(Bisleri, Aquafina) are the only options?
  • How to store food?, making sure it is eatable at the time of a disaster? Obviously I'm looking for ways by which they last for weeks, if not months.

Last edited:

flyingcow

Shibe
How to make find the bag in night, in case of a disaster? How to make it "glow in dark"?-apply radium or some glow int the dark stuff

Many websites recommend having documents related to identity in it. Would that be safe?yes, why not? even if there may be some loss but i think its more profit

How to store water, making sure it is drinkable at the time of a disaster? Packed bottles(Bisleri, Aquafina) are the only options?there are some bottles that purfy water

How to store food?, making sure it is eatable at the time of a disaster? Obviously I'm looking for ways by which they last for weeks, if not months.canned food

Akira

Augmented Nerd
apply radium

:lol: Seriously mate?? It's zinc sulfide or strontium aluminate-but all of us indians know it as Radium...

Some suggestions:

Easy to carry bag
Water(Include small bottles that can be carried easily in case of an evacuation order)
Food-That won't spoil, such as canned food, energy bars and dried foods
Manual can opener
Flashlight and batteries

Battery-powered radio(not really necessary)

Extra batteries

First aid kit with antibiotics if possible

Special needs items-Prescription medications, infant formula or equipment for people with disabilities

Cash-Include smaller notes, such as Rs 10 notes. You could even keep an emergency debit card.

Emergency plan(MOST IMPORTANT)-Discuss with family members-and this is no laughing matter- what to do in case of a fire/earthquake/riot. We Indians take it waay to casually. Ensure a list of in-town and out-of-town contact information.

ankush28

Bazinga
^^ Exactly even in my college Mechanical engineering materials' professor tells us "what you see glowing in watches, is radium"
I was like wtf is this?
Radium is radioactive material

In actual practice Phosphorus is used.

Last edited:

flyingcow

Shibe
but dont the dials have radium in them?
Radium dials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
P.s.- op dont apply radium though you cud die....ok not really die but get cansur
and i thought they used radium weith phospohuros to make the radium glow( im not talking about watches..) am i wrong?

^^ Exactly even in my college Mechanical engineering materials' professor tells us "what you see glowing in watches, is radium"
I was like wtf is this?
Radium is radioactive material

In actual practice Phosphorus is used.
he is half correct, radium+phos is used AFAIK

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
How to make find the bag in night, in case of a disaster? How to make it "glow in dark"?-apply radium or some glow int the dark stuff

Many websites recommend having documents related to identity in it. Would that be safe?yes, why not? even if there may be some loss but i think its more profit

How to store water, making sure it is drinkable at the time of a disaster? Packed bottles(Bisleri, Aquafina) are the only options?there are some bottles that purfy water

How to store food?, making sure it is eatable at the time of a disaster? Obviously I'm looking for ways by which they last for weeks, if not months.canned food
What kind of canned food? I haven't seen any yet. Where to find in India? ._.
And bottles that *purify water, where to find them? And for how long do they keep the water purified? My concern was regarding storage of water...

Some suggestions:

Easy to carry bag

Ensure a list of in-town and out-of-town contact information.
All this is already in the list. Only execution of the list is left. :p Where to find canned food?

but dont the dials have radium in them?
Radium dials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
P.s.- op dont apply radium though you cud die....ok not really die but get cansur
and i thought they used radium weith phospohuros to make the radium glow( im not talking about watches..) am i wrong?

Don't worry, I take serious advice only from people who can type in English.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Tap water ( treated with chlorine ) is best for long term storage.

A good waterproof torcj with various light mods and filter. A mechanical torch too in case of emergency.

Plastic sheets which can be used for shelter from rain.

Utility ropes and carabiners.

A harmonica, and few good books for entertainment.

A power bank.

Dry foods like breakfast cereals.

A can opener and common tools.

Compass and whistle.

Hi vis tapes.

Akira

Augmented Nerd
What kind of canned food? I haven't seen any yet. Where to find in India? ._.

Maggi Cuppa Mania??:-D Canned food is available at supermarkets. They have 6-8 months of usage time(maybe longer). You can even keep high protein rusk or simple pack of biscuits. As for the water; well, just change it once every 2 months-same for any medicines you might keep in there. There is no other way,really.

flyingcow

Shibe
dont forget to take your mobile
the one like this *www.lifesaversystems.com/
also take any gps etc

Last edited:
OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Maggi Cuppa Mania??:-D Canned food is available at supermarkets. They have 6-8 months of usage time(maybe longer). You can even keep high protein rusk or simple pack of biscuits. As for the water; well, just change it once every 2 months-same for any medicines you might keep in there. There is no other way,really.
Yes, rusk and biscuits is what I had thought. And for canned food, such instant cup noodles came to my mind too but for some reason I was thinking of tin cans :p

Cup Noodles(just add hot water)
Thanks. :D

And if you can take the internet with you:lol:
:pray:

flyingcow

Shibe
this is disaster management as in earthquake etc right? or post apocalyptic/zombie apocalypse??
how will you get to teh bag if you are stuck in the building when earthquake occurs or flood/storm etc?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
WHO | EARTHQUAKES - Technical Hazard Sheet - Natural Disaster Profile
Earthquakes cause high mortality resulting from trauma, asphyxia, dust inhalation (acute respiratory distress), or exposure to the environment (i.e. hypothermia).
Survival in entrapment rarely lasts longer than 48 hours: 85-95% of persons rescued alive from collapsed buildings are rescued in the first 24-48 hours after the earthquake.

similar situation is with floods(which is only a matter of concern if you live near a river) & fire(knowledge of building staircases & windows will help more than anything here).humans can survive without food for weeks.in India or anywhere the cause of death during natural disasters is not starvation but other factors.as for man made disasters like riots news channels,gossips,friendly neighbours/friends & common sense can help you like no emergency kit.

your intentions are good but focus is wrong.instead of worrying this much about a bag read up on precautions/preventions which will be much more beneficial in case of disasters.

flyingcow

Shibe
What to do when there is a nuclear attack ?
go o a shop buy camlin pencil leads....then make an enclosure out of them, get into the enclosure, you wont be harmed as the lead in them blocks out the radiations, or you could do it the old way by taking out the lead from wooden pencils..
read this for more instructions-
Nuclear breakout prevention

Top Bottom