Dilemma between the 9600gt and HD 4850

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
cm extreme plus 500w (RS500-PCA-RA3) gives 18 amps on +12v rail and output of 360w.
Cm 460w (460-pmsr-a3) gives 18 amps on +12v rails as will but it has only 316w.
They both have 70% effiency rate so it should be enough. cm 460 is for 2.4k and extreme plus 500 is 2.8k. Stick between these 2. I would take extreme series but both are enough for this config.
Stay out of extreme series though. CM totally screwed up psu logic in their extreme series so they are flooding the market with decent supplies in extreme plus.

OP
Darthvader

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar
I think he meant the extreme plus and asked me to stay out of only extreme.
Anyway the cooler master one has dual rails so is it good enough.
How is The Corsair 400CX 400 w?
It has 30a on a single 12v rail.
Does that mean it has 90% efficiency !!!! 360w on 400w

Last edited:
You misunderstood. I made this thread before purchasing a card and after thinking about the GT went for the GSO due to its superior shaders count. So i just got the new card.
And So thanks for the answer anyways, Looks like i Gotta change the psu then,
A cooler master 500w will suffice will it? what is its actual wattage output ? (75%?)
Sorry to say, you have fallen victim to the shader count of 9600GSO. Actually, performance wise, its quite BELOW the 9600GT, mainly since it has a lower clock speed, only 192bit memory instead of 256bit in 9600GT and lesser RAM.

And more shaders matter only at higher resolutions, and even then, 9600GT is ahead of 9600GSO.

At the price range of 9600GSO, HD4670 would be the best choice available, but sadly none of them are serious gaming cards.

Anyway, since you have already bought it, you just need to make the best use out of it.

OP
Darthvader

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar
I would like to differ on that point.
Shaders come into play at low resolutions where it actually gets better results and is ahead of the gt in most games at low res.
However at high res as u said the memory bandwith and the amount is pretty low and it is behind the gt.
*www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/video/Palit_9600GSO_Sonic/
*www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/palit9600gso/
*techgage.com/article/palit_geforce_9600gso_sonic_768mb/
*lly316.blogspot.com/2008/11/8800gs-vs-9600gso-vs-9600gt-bechmark.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom