Digital camera quick reference buying guide

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
:(
Last Saturday, i went to Vijay Sales, to get a hands on the camera and i found out that Nikon P530 is much better that canon 510. But didnt get a chance to see TZ30.
Also i saw new Panasonic DMC FZ40, any idea about this camera.
FZ40??? I guess it's typo. I think you mean FZ70.
It should be...

angshu83

Right off the assembly line
FZ40??? I guess it's typo. I think you mean FZ70.
It should be...

It is also available in flipkart. Below is the link.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Point & Shoot Camera Rs.18324 Price in India - Buy Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Point & Shoot Camera Black Online - Panasonic: Flipkart.com

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Stay away, it's toooooooooo old.
You can very well get latest in the line up for the same price may be even cheaper.

sksundram

In the zone
1. what is the upper limit of the memory card storage capacity in Panasonic TZ30? urgent response needed. plz provide a credible source.
2. provide a link to a good class 10 memory card for this camera (preferably 32gb if it supports)
TIA
@nac @sujoyp

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
As far as I know, there is no upper limit as long you use the one suggested by the manufacturers. For TZ30, you can use either one of these memory card format SD, SDHC, SDXC.

- - - Updated - - -

*www.panasonic.com/in/consumer/cameras-camcoders/camera/dmc-tz30.specs.html

People suggests that it's good to get multiple smaller cards rather than getting one big card like 32GB. It's better if you go for 4x8GB or 2x16GB card. BTW, do you need that much storage esp. for TZ30?

sksundram

In the zone
^^ for images, 16gb will suffice but for videos, I think I have to go for 32gb.
one important question that i want to ask and which has been lingering in my mind for long is that, in the link that you just provided of the official page,it is written that the continuous recordable time range is from 40 minutes to 70 minutes. does that mean that even though i have a 32gb card i have to record videos in parts as longest time for continuous recording is 70 minutes.

please clarify this confusion of mine. ty

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, even if you have enough space left, you can't continuously record the video beyond the specified duration. It's not big of a deal, 40 min is long enough I would say. Mine is just 10 min. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
40 mins is quit long...my DSLR can shoot only max 12-14 mins per recording ....and 32GB is not big enough to shoot full HD maybe you can get multiple ...max almost 2.5hr recording

sksundram

In the zone
appreciate the replies. btw could you guys shed some light on this limitation. I mean why such limitation is being put there when obviously people would be happy to record for any number of minutes as they wish. as I came to know through you guys that DSLRs have even lower recording minutes, does that mean that companies discourage us from using video features in it. I know high end cameras are purely for imaging but THAT lens and THAT power of a DSLR would make it a better video recording equipment. I hope you got my point.

PS: I ordered TZ30 today on FK for my close relative. FK quoted the price at 12K. I enquired at offline shops too but the lowest price they offered was 16.2K, here in chandigarh. btw how is panasonic's ASS

sujoyp

Grand Master
dslr have big sensor which had to keep open and continously capture video ...this process heats up the sensor
another thing is DSLR works on fat32 which have 4 GB limitation ....in 4 GB only 15-20 mins of high quality uncompressed video can be recorded :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^^ Yeah, that's one helluva pricing and that's the cheapest I have ever seen for that camera. Post photographs after you received your product.

Hrishi

appreciate the replies. btw could you guys shed some light on this limitation. I mean why such limitation is being put there when obviously people would be happy to record for any number of minutes as they wish. as I came to know through you guys that DSLRs have even lower recording minutes, does that mean that companies discourage us from using video features in it. I know high end cameras are purely for imaging but THAT lens and THAT power of a DSLR would make it a better video recording equipment. I hope you got my point.

PS: I ordered TZ30 today on FK for my close relative. FK quoted the price at 12K. I enquired at offline shops too but the lowest price they offered was 16.2K, here in chandigarh. btw how is panasonic's ASS
Heat build up is a concern in a dslr body(heat from huge sensor , heat from processor , chips , etc ). They dont have cooling fans...lol.,...but that being said shouldnt be a reason for long video captures more than 30mins. If it had to turn hot , 10mins is more than enough for it.
[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION] , AFAIK ,The important reason is compliance issue , classification of these devices that attracts taxes.

You will find hacked firmwares , though that help you do record post 30mins.
Ps its not just dslrs as such,,,,,you will find limit on many digital cameras that are not labelled as camcorders.......i think they probably put additional tax on these devices or so.

Plus memory limit is another thing , but still that shouldn't be a cause for this restriction.

Last edited:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
[MENTION=158370]sksundram[/MENTION]: the main issue is the heat buildup. The firmware limitation is just there to ensure that you don't end up damaging the hardware. For example the Sony NEX7 being a pro camera does have some restrictions at the firmware level, but people have found ways to override it. However if you record for more than thirty minutes the camera gives an oveheating error and shuts down till it can cool down.

Manufactures may feel that it's better to put a restriction and ensure that the camera works rather than make it hit a dangerous temperature and then shut down for a long time.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Any high speed HD recording cameras for outdoor sports? Like the ones used on helmet mounts. Cant find anything at online retailers

Top Bottom