Developer says piracy forced Dead Trigger Android game to go free

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I don't have a single pirated app in my phone :) and will never have .. if I cant afford a $0.99 app then I should not be carrying a smartphone in the first place. I still dont know the mentality of people here in India, they subscribe to stupid services for 30 bucks, download "HOT" photos for 5-10 bucks via their GSM provider but still cannot buy a worthwhile app they would use for a longer time period.

+1
Buying a app is very much worth it. Not only it supports the Dev but you also get regular updates and can use all features. I too donot have even one pirated app on my iPod Touch or dads Android. Although I havent bought that many applications but whenever I see a good deal on a discount I get it without second thoughts

amjath

Human Spambot
only dedicated SPB users or someone very new to Smartphones will use that .. I used to use SPB products on windows mobile 6.1 days, it was something new and exciting.. now I prefer simpler interface (Launcher Pro Plus user here :) ).

people should not buy high priced apps which do not provide a demo version, they should check the reviews and also see if the app satisfies their needs.. also there is refund option so if one doesnt like the app they can get a refund(I think after some deduction).

Yeah u r right, but many devs dont give demos and refund option came just few months back so piracy too much, hope it ll reduce. But what these dead trigger devs are going is absolute publicity

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Yeah u r right, but many devs dont give demos and refund option came just few months back so piracy too much, hope it ll reduce. But what these dead trigger devs are going is absolute publicity

can you name a few apps which don't give demo (no games), cause I am not much aware about those.

refund was available from a long time .. but the limit is pathetic and practically useless - that's 15 minutes

In December 2010, Google added content filtering to Android Market and reduced the purchase refund window from 24–48 hours to 15 minutes

source - wiki.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
dead trigger devs, soon...loadsa money donated to them..dosh...dosh...dosh

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
can you name a few apps which don't give demo (no games), cause I am not much aware about those.

refund was available from a long time .. but the limit is pathetic and practically useless - that's 15 minutes

source - wiki.

WTH 15 minutes?

amjath

Human Spambot

source - wiki.

I can name only few which I currently play

Where's my perry :(
Cut the Rope: Experiments :(
Temple Run: Brave [no big difference than Original Temple run] :(

I wasted money on where's my perry and temple run brave :'(

15 minutes What the ... is it??? :(

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
To all n00bs...
If google play serves device specific encrypted apks for every download request... you will need 100,000 super computers to decrypt...
Right, encryption can be hacked.

however google is trash, i don't think they don't have computing power to serve encrypted apks to every phone out there.. who knows.. whatever.. don't care

noob

Cyborg Agent
It is also free on iOS as well. This is nothing but purely a publicity stunt. dev has not released any numbers to prove their point.

Dead Trigger is now free for iOS devices as well, points a finger at piracy again - GSMArena Blog

* Typical Android owner:
- Cheap
- Never buys an App or
media
- Their only enjoyment is
overclock the hardware or putting some cool
animated screensaver
- The whole Android game
is to see who's firmware
and juiced OS build runs
faster than each other Where's the ecosystem
here?

WTF..what makes you think like this ? I have purchased every single game/app on my device.
Irrespective of OS , it is the mindset of people.

however google is trash, i don't think they don't have computing power to serve encrypted apks to every phone out there.. who knows.. whatever.. don't care

LOL...nice try :) AFAIK, Decryption will be done on device and not on server.

source - wiki.

15 is fine for apps but for games it needs to be 30 min..the reason they reduced it to 15 min because people used to finish playing the games in few hours and then refund. Google was forced to do this because of pressure from developers.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
the game has IAP, makes more market sense to keep the entry point free
ye this looks like publicity

bubusam13

Human
The best way to beat piracy in the digital world is to do what Microsoft does. Piracy or not make sure your products are well known and widely used. The relatively smaller paid user percentage out of a bigger slice will offset the loss by piracy.
Also proper pricing is important. An 8$ price for a mobile game in India will indeed be considered high.
Access is another factor. Very few people here in India own a credit card. Compare that to the n number of people who own an Android device today. So they have less access to paid content. Nokia is doing the correct thing. They are stitching up deals for Nokia Store with cellular operators so that one can buy direct using the phone bill or prepaid account balance. Eg. me :)
Lack of a refund policy. For a free game, one can try as many as one likes and keep only those whom we like. Not possible with a paid game.

I agree. Even me and many I know download from other websites because we can't pay even if we want to because the modes of payment are often credit card or paypal. I know many who donot want pirated content. I wanted to buy humble bundle but cant.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
To all n00bs...
If google play serves device specific encrypted apks for every download request... you will need 100,000 super computers to decrypt...
Right, encryption can be hacked.

We're talking about encryption/decryption, not encryption/brute-force cracking. :)

Theoretically speaking, it would need a simple key to decrypt, which would already be present on the device for which the content was encrypted in the first place. You place a request via your device or assigned account, the server wraps the original content in a sort of encrypted package using the device's unique key (or something). The intended device can easily decrypt and use the content.

On topic, it seems like a publicity stunt by the developers. The piracy numbers for all ecosystems are readily available. If it was piracy that caused them to switch to a free/freemium model, they could have thought about it right at the start. Blaming piracy on each platform and then switching to a free model only shows the lack of planning on their part. Their PR dept. and business strategy dept. needs a kick up their arses.

Top Bottom