Desktop Conf(Mid Range Gaming)

tasamono

Broken In
Hi Fellas,

Its been really long i have assembled a PC and technology going cheaper day by day, looking forward for a new one under a decent budget(30-35k). After a long time read some good articles about the current range of processors and was thoroughly impressed by the sandy bridge technology from Intel. What fascinated me the most was the new BIOS(The EFI, or Extensible Firmware Interface) which supports network connections, so in theory would it able to update an EFI BIOS directly from the Internet? This is definitely a new step in computing i think after a couple of decades. Anyways coming to the point , i really cannot afford a sandy bridge right now :( . So have decided to go for an AMD quad core, i really have faith in AMD and hope that it wont be dissapointing me by future Bulldozer editions. I have come up with a combination which i think is decent enough though i really doubt the power supply is a good choice. I think few guys can really help me out here

Processor:- AMD Athlon II x4 635----------------------Rs4000
Board :- Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H------------------Rs 4000
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL --------- Rs2200
GPU :- Sapphire HD6850 -----------------------------Rs 9500
Hard Drive:- WDC 500GB Blue------------------------Rs 1700
DVD Writer LG 22X SATA DVD-------------------------Rs 900
Monitor Benq G2220HD ------------------------------Rs 7200
Cabinet Cooler Master Elite series(anythingwithn 2k) Rs 2000
UPS Numeric 600VA -------------------- ---------------Rs1600
Power Supply FSP Saga II 500W------------------------Rs 2000??
KeyBoard,Mouse(Standard logitech)--------------------Rs 600?

Total :- 35700.

Feel free to suggest/criticize ;)

Piyush

Lanaya
fill this:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/128247-pc-build-questionnaire-template.html

OP
T

tasamono

Broken In
@piyush :-

I think i you didnt read my post..am not looking for a complete confg, just wondering if the above fits together or needs some tweak...

manujohn

Journeyman
@tasamono : well balanced config...go for it..
Get CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k or CM Elite 430 @ 2.5k..
FSP Saga II 500W @ 2k is also a great deal..
Also buy a 650VA+ ups.

OP
T

tasamono

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:Gaming is definitely one of the important purpose also for some high end application development. (wierd isnt it :p)

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:Yepp, if properly justified.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:37k

4. Planning to overclock?
A:yes

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:Windows 7, Ubuntu

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:500gb is more than enough

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:1080p is my only preference.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:6

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:can assemble myself

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:within a month.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:yes, off-course

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:speakers

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:pune, Mumbai is definitely an option for me.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Ok bro. You need a system that offers best of both worlds on a budget. Making some changes on your earlier config to fit the bill & simultaneously offer more bang for the buck.

Your budget is too tight for sandybridge processors. So amd is the only viable option amd i am sure they won't dissapoint. Since you'll overclock the cpu , your job will be much easier by using a processor having an " unlocked multiplier" rather than incrementing the bclk (base clock). Not forgetting that gaming is still primary reason, check out the following rig:

Components | Model | Price
Processor | AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Black Edition) | 5.5k Motherboard | Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H | 4k Ram | G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL | 2.2k Hdd | Wd blue (500gb) | 1.7k Monitor | Benq G2220HD | 7.2k Gpu | Sapphire HD6850 | 9.5k Psu | Fsp saga II 500 | 2k Ups | Numeric 800VA | 2.5k Cabinet | NZXT Gamma | 2k Keyboard | Logitech kb 200 | 0.4k Mouse | Logitech 3 button scroll | 0.3k Total | ************** | 37.3k

Okay summarizing the above components:

The proccy is a black edition version i.e it has unlocked multiplier. So overclocking is a breeze considering you don't have to touch the bclk. Just incrementing the multiplier will do the job. Rest of the components are upto your requirements. If planning to run a database like oracle 11g server in the background will require you more rams which you can always add later. 955be is powerful enough to breeze through all applications with ease.

The gpu will let you play most of the games in fullhd at high settings and it belongs to barts family ( google to know more). The 800va ups from numeric is a viable option and will give you significant backup time. Don't waste your money on el-cheapo ups's.

Finally the cabinet is all black ( both interior and exterior) and is spacious enough to handle all your components with ease. The psu is bottom mounted. Contact primeabgb in lamington road. They have surplus nzxt cabinets.

That's more like it. Feel free to ask anything you desire. We are here to help always :smile:

Last edited:

Demon Lord

Journeyman
Ok bro. You need a system that offers best of both worlds on a budget. Making some changes on your earlier config to fit the bill & simultaneously offer more bang for the buck.

Your budget is too tight for sandybridge processors. So amd is the only viable option amd i am sure they won't dissapoint. Since you'll overclock the cpu , your job will be much easier by using a processor having an " unlocked multiplier" rather than incrementing the bclk (base clock). Not forgetting that gaming is still primary reason, check out the following rig:

Components | Model | Price
Processor | AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Black Edition) | 5.5k Motherboard | Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H | 4k Ram | G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL | 2.2k Hdd | Wd blue (500gb) | 1.7k Monitor | Benq G2220HD | 7.2k Gpu | Sapphire HD6850 | 9.5k Psu | Fsp saga II 500 | 2k Ups | Numeric 800VA | 2.5k Cabinet | NZXT Gamma | 2k Keyboard | Logitech kb 200 | 0.4k Mouse | Logitech 3 button scroll | 0.3k Total | ************** | 37.3k

Okay summarizing the above components:

The proccy is a black edition version i.e it has unlocked multiplier. So overclocking is a breeze considering you don't have to touch the bclk. Just incrementing the multiplier will do the job. Rest of the components are upto your requirements. If planning to run a database like oracle 11g server in the background will require you more rams which you can always add later. 955be is powerful enough to breeze through all applications with ease.

The gpu will let you play most of the games in fullhd at high settings and it belongs to barts family ( google to know more). The 800va ups from numeric is a viable option and will give you significant backup time. Don't waste your money on el-cheapo ups's.

Finally the cabinet is all black ( both interior and exterior) and is spacious enough to handle all your components with ease. The psu is bottom mounted. Contact primeabgb in lamington road. They have surplus nzxt cabinets.

That's more like it. Feel free to ask anything you desire. We are here to help always :smile:

+1
good config,nice explanation!
@op go for the above config,

shayem

In the zone
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:1080p is my only preference.

Go for Dell ST2220MB@ 8100. It's LED monitor.

Last edited:

manujohn

Journeyman
^you mean ST2220MB or IN2020M (@6.2k, not 1080p)...?
@op: since the cabinet is psu-bottom mounted, you have to get some lengthy cables for your FSP Saga II 500 since it has short cables... That's why i suggested some top mounted cabinets.. But of course, NZXT Gamma is one the most vfm cabbys priced at only 2k.
Since you wanna overclock, stick to the phenom proccy vicky suggested..

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
One suggestion from my side...If the budget can be increased by 1.5K, I will suggest Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H motherboard @ 5.45K. It has USB3 and SATA3, a 2nd PCI Express X16 slot running @ X4 and officially confirmation for AM3+ CPU support. So I think it worth the extra money for long run. It also comes with ATX form factor which will help to install lengthy components with ease.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^you mean ST2220MB or IN2020M (@6.2k, not 1080p)...?
@op: since the cabinet is psu-bottom mounted, you have to get some lengthy cables for your FSP Saga II 500 since it has short cables... That's why i suggested some top mounted cabinets.. But of course, NZXT Gamma is one the most vfm cabbys priced at only 2k.
Since you wanna overclock, stick to the phenom proccy vicky suggested..

Fsp saga has long cables unlike its younger brother i.e the saga 400. So it will pose no problems when bottom mounted. Op can happily fit it in his cabinet without any problems.

@ Cilus

Great board there. Really recommended considering its official suport for upcoming am3+ (bulldozer) cpu's. If op can increase the budget by 1.5k, then this board is a worthy buy. It even supports crossfireX but with reduced lanes. In fact that would not matter so much in fullhd resolutions.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
batman excellent rig. also if you get the board mentioned by cilus then look for rev 3.1
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1)

OP
T

tasamono

Broken In
@jaskanwar :- wht about the current price of this v3.1? Really impressive if its under 5.5k?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
batman excellent rig. also if you get the board mentioned by cilus then look for rev 3.1
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1)

Even if you don't have the rev3.1 board, I think a BIOS update will do the trick for supporting AM3+ CPU

OP
T

tasamono

Broken In
Talking about monitors, how about, Dell IN2020M 20inch W HD Monitor LED?
I can get it for arnd 5.6k. Can save arnd 1600 on this which can be invested in either a 6870 or the above motherboard.

Cilus

laborare est orare
The monitor is good but not a full HD display. If you can live with that go ahead

OP
T

tasamono

Broken In
^the one you have got "BenQ G2220HD" , satisfied?
Does it have HDMI connectivity?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
I'm using it for almost 1 year and it is very good monitor..fully satisfied end user.:smile:

Top Bottom