Demystifying Pacenet (login based browsing session) And Speeding Up Peer to Peer Sharing

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Update: I am overwhelmed by the sheer number of settings that I can do on my router and perplexed with the terms like DHCP, DMZ, Statis Routing list, System Routing Table etc... etc...
Will need a lot of time and guidance to fully understand the concepts. :oops:

You will probably never need to touch 99% of them.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
One month update:
So 4th of Feb was my one month with Pacenet. I am happy to say that its been a good experience for me until now. I am getting max of 1MBps download speeds on some torrents. :D And connection is pretty stable. It went on to give me some problems for 2-3 days in the middle due to some technical upgradation. But since they acknowledged it on the login page, I assume it was just temporary.

According to Pacenet I used about 84 GB (both upload and download) in this one month. Not counting the bandwidth that I receive from LAN peers. Since for some reason bandwidth from local peers is not counted in the total usage. But my NetMeter says I used little over 120 GB which of course is counting LAN bandwidth too.

Overall I was happy to renew the plan for another month. :doublethumb:

You will probably never need to touch 99% of them.
You were right about this. :oops:

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
After three months update: Oh boy, Pacenet sucks.

On 1st of April, Pacenet celebrated fool's day. And internet was down. It came back only the next day.

Today, the whole day it's down again. Local Pacenet number doesn't respond. Global cc says everything fine at their end. And to contact local provider.

The plan is about to expire tomorrow. I am not planning to continue it.

Search for another broadband continues....

Neuron

Electronic.
If you still need help.
2. Can I do some tweak in the router itself that I don't need to manually login each time the session expires?

There is an internet connection configuration page on your router. Find it and configure/edit your active pvc connection. There will be a an option to choose between 'dial on demand' and 'always on' somewhere in there. The internet connection page will look something like this.
*i.imgur.com/RIaYeUo.jpg

3. I quote for this:
So how exactly do we sense the packets through wireshark, and can router be tweaked to allow the packets?
The best thing you can do to acceleratre p2p traffic is to open a port for your p2p client. If you don't know how to open ports in the router i can help.
5. What steps you take to ensure that you always use HTTPS? Can someone steal the credentials if the pages I browse are not secure but the login was?
Eg: I login to TDF using secure page. But now I am browsing on HTTP.

You don't always have to be on https. It's only the login process that needs to be secure.

BTW bsnl here is now awesome. It all happened after I started registering complaints online. They would fix any issue immediately if i complain on there cc portal. I don't there is any better ISPs here. BSNL is as good as indian ISPs get.

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Give spectrarnet a try.

Already contacted them before I had to opt for Pacenet. Talked them again, and then sent them this letter today:

Hi Spectanet

I inquired about a new connection at my location, but it was told that currently it can't be possible.
I inquired today also after few months, but the response is the same, that as soon as a connection could be established here I would be contacted.

But I request you to please acknowledge the enthusiasm of net users like me who desperately want to have a service of Internet that is not BS, which provide good plans and which have excellent customer care. Even without a connection of Spectranet I can see it meets all our needs.

So its a humble request to please establish your infrastructure at my area, and I can bet there would be a lot of customers banging at the doors of Spectranet trying to free from the shackles of stupid FUP's and poor CC.

Thanks in advance Spectranet. Hoping you arrive soon.

Googled Nextra after a friend advised. Sadly they also like Spectranet targets "Societies". :(
[MENTION=93672]Neuron[/MENTION]: Thanks for the reply, it would help me in future.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^neuron is using bsnl pppoe connection & its settings have no relevance to cable broadband which you have used or will use.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] - Spectranet for "societies" !; doesn't seem to be in my case. I don't live in one (New Ashok nagar).

You won't believe that I went straight to the shop who used to provide connection at 5pm, and at 6pm, my BB was ready to be used. \m/

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] - Spectranet for "societies" !; doesn't seem to be in my case. I don't live in one (New Ashok nagar).

You won't believe that I went straight to the shop who used to provide connection at 5pm, and at 6pm, my BB was ready to be used. \m/

That's probably because Spectranet already had its infrastructure in your area. In my case, where I live, they only provide connections to the area which are "well settled" perhaps. I wish they arrive soon.

Anyway, the guy from Pacenet came and after diagnosing came to the conclusion that the connector which connect wire to router was at fault.
I probably will continue pacenet only. :|

Hrishi

my Pacenet 512kbps demo pack is still active after 6 months. No one has come yet to collect money. !!!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Anyway, the guy from Pacenet came and after diagnosing came to the conclusion that the connector which connect wire to router was at fault.
I probably will continue pacenet only. :|

So about 3 weeks after my last update, I am having second thoughts on my opinion of Pacenet. Remember how last time I came to a conclusion that router might be faulty? Well, ever since then my net haven't been stable. I was thinking maybe I need to change my router, but refrained myself in an attempt to make sure its the router which is at fault not the Pacenet connection.
Today net wasn't working again. So I plugged the wire directly to PC. Turns out Pacenet is down from server itself. Now I am not sure, this whole time, if it was the router which was faulty or was it the service of Pacenet which is not stable.

In worst case, both are at fault. Maybe Pacenet remains down sometimes, and other times my router misbehaves. I don't know how to reach to a conclusion now. I am thinking of buying a second router nevertheless, that would atleast help me narrow down the possibility.

I think members who want to know whether Pacenet is worth it, should sponsor me a good router like D-Link DIR-605L Wireless N300 Cloud Router! :p

Piyush

Lanaya
Dont buy 2nd router. Check your router at some friends place. It will take only a while to set up but it will be worth it. Better than to get a new one just like that.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Dont buy 2nd router. Check your router at some friends place. It will take only a while to set up but it will be worth it. Better than to get a new one just like that.

Only if router stops working altogether. Problem is it stops working randomly. And when it happens when I am in office (when my family uses it) I can't instantly check if Pacenet is at fault or router. When I return home, net works.
So, only way for me to check is to test on a 2nd router for atleast two days. And I don't know if any of my friend will have a spare wifi router.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Why not just ask them to plug the ethernet cable to PC ? I guess it can be done once you train them how to do it.

Our rooms are in different floors. They live downstairs. And they use Internet wirelessly, from phone or from wifi receiver. It would be a lot of trouble if I tell them to plug cable directly in my room on my PC upstairs.
Besides LAN settings also have to be changed. When plugged in router, no IP addresses needs to be provided in LAN settings, while when plugged directly, all information, like IP address, Subnet Mark, Default Gateway needs to be set everytime. :(

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Our rooms are in different floors. They live downstairs. And they use Internet wirelessly, from phone or from wifi receiver. It would be a lot of trouble if I tell them to plug cable directly in my room on my PC upstairs.
Besides LAN settings also have to be changed. When plugged in router, no IP addresses needs to be provided in LAN settings, while when plugged directly, all information, like IP address, Subnet Mark, Default Gateway needs to be set everytime. :(

You can leave the LAN settings as it requires and it will still work if you use other source for net (say wifi). That way, just plug the cable and bingo.

Top Bottom