Dell Inspiron 1520 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash HFZ

Techno Enthusiast
I've of late been checking the prices for this config for more than a month or so :

Ruby Red Inspiron 1520
Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5 Ghz 667 Mhz FSB
2 GB RAM
Geforce 8600M GT 256 MB
Vista Home Premium
Dual Layer DVD/RW
15" WXGA+ 1440 x 900 Display with TrueLife
160 GB 5400 RPM HDD

First the price was around Rs. 65000 in July first two weeks... Then afterwards it got lowered to around Rs.58500.... Again now it has rose to Rs. 65000 damn :(

I was actually thinking of upgrading to the T7100 if the prices become even lower :cry:

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
^^Actually Dell was giving discount on its various model which got over recently which is why Dell Notebooks have become costlier...
I am sure they will come out with discounts soon...

Ash HFZ

Techno Enthusiast
ankurgupta.me said:
^^Actually Dell was giving discount on its various model which got over recently which is why Dell Notebooks have become costlier...
I am sure they will come out with discounts soon...

Yep they were first giving the free upgrade to 120 GB Harddrive and the one to 8400M GS 128 MB graphics card... These two totally summed up to around 6000 bucks and that is the increase in the price now :(

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi,
I am planning to buy a laptop within next 1 month. My budget is max. 50,000 but can be extended but it is really worth it.

I am intel fan. I will use this laptop as my desktop replacement. I know nothing about laptops.

What I want from my laptop is :

1.It should be able to run Vista Ultimate with all graphic effects like aero etc.

2.It should be able to run all the latest Linux distros, I mean it should be able to display their graphics like beryl effects,compiz etc.

3. It should be rugged , durable and futureproof for atleast next 2-3 years.

4.As I am a software engineer, It should be able to run all programming languages with their development environments like Java, VB, .NET, Maya, Abobe softwares, etc. and should support multitasking.

5.As I am an audiophile,It Should have good audio system.

6.I am not a hardcore gamer but like to play games occassionally , so laptop should allow that also.

7. I will use this laptop for continous long hours say 6-8 hours but I will mostly use at my home or at my workplace..not much on the move.

8.It should have wireless card, bluetooth and decent camera, also slots/ports for all latest cards/devices.

9.It may not have any windows pre-installed because I can install/use linux or windows myself.

My preferred brand is Dell as I have heard that dell is good but you may suggest other brands also. what in my mind is to have atleast intel core 2 duo 1.5 GHz and 2 GB RAM will be good.

Please suggest the best I can get in this budget....
As it is 1520 thread , please tell me out of 1520 and 1420 , which will suit me better? Also tell me which things should I customize from default configuration?
And Should I wait for some time for the prices may come down ?? please tell if u think prices may fall down soon....

Also tell me where to buy laptop, I mean will get it cheaper online or from vendors ?
Waiting for your reply.....

Ash HFZ

Techno Enthusiast
Waiting and waiting the prices will come down and at the same time a new or better technology would be out there.... So you would actually be losing something.... So better buy it soon..... I doubt the DELL prices will come down even more than it is this month....

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Well, I have decided to wait till diwali. Is there any possibility that prices may go up that time ??? Because I am thinking that prices will go down but if went high I will be screwed up.
I have decided following config:
Intel C2D T7250 2.0 GHz
Vista Home premium
3 Year Complete Cover
15.4" widescreen WXGA 1280*800 display with truelife
2 GB RAM
Integrated sound blaster audigy advanced HD audio software
Nvidia 8600 GT 256 MB
160 GB SATA HDD
8x DVD writer
Ruby Red color
9 cell battery

I am getting this config in 67 K , is it a fair deal ??
is my config good enough ??
Also , I am bit confused about battery, 9 cell does not fit in completely and look bad but gives extra backup. So which one should I go for ??? Also , what is the battery back up time of 6 cell and 9 cell ???

Now , about color I am confused between Ruby Red , Jet Black and midnight blue. I dont know how they will look in real coz u dont get complete idea from pics in advetisements. Any suggestions ???

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
what is the advantage of 1720 except screen size , that will too make lappy bulkier???also , I will not be able to get all other specs in 1720 in this price that I want in 1520 , or can I ??? I could not check the prices of 1720 customised because site is under maintenance when we try to go to customisation page.

alwynrozario

Yup.. Digging it!!!
Hi all,

Very soon am going to be a proud owner of Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook. Just placed an order today.

Following is my customized configuration:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2Duo Processor T7300 (2.0 GHz, 2MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows(R) XP Professional
Dell Care:Telephone Technical Support, Complete Cover Accidental Damage Protection, Limited Warranty, HelpDesk all for 1 year.
15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) Display with TrueLife
1GB (2 X 512MB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
Integrated Stereo Sound
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR2 dedicated graphic memory
Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

I'm getting this for 60K, is this a fair deal??

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@alwynrozario, u said proccy is t7300 but then it should have 4 MB cache , please check if u have placed order of T7250 or T7300, later is 4000 costly.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
^^Good observation Phenom...
Also I would say go for T7100 and get 2 GB RAM instead if you don't need that much processing power....

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
^^Thanx ankur, I am also planning to buy a 1520 within next 10 days. I am going for T7250 which is 6700 rupees costlier than T5250. Please tell me if there is any noticeable difference between the speeds of two of them ?? What applications will require higher processing power than T5250 ?? I mean is it a wise decision to spend 6700 more for that speed difference ??

I am going for 3 year complete cover , will it also include battery replacements ?? and what is the average life of dell 1520 battery ??

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Audio/Video Encoding stuff is the one which requires most processing power..
I don't know whether PS or Max3D require such huge processing power...GX can help you on that arena..
For games I think T5250 is also enough but can't say if its future proof...
I don't know if battery warranty is also for 3 years...ask Sourabh about it...

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
^^^ In my opinion...

More Ram with bit slower proccy is ALWAYS better than less RAM that bit faster proccy...

processor requirements are not so hard and fast, even less when we jump to laptops and even lesser when we are talking about two very similar processors with same instruction set and same FSB... cahe diference wont be noticeable for most apps and games, 2mb cache is by no means less....

perhaps i think a 2gb Dual channel ram with t5250 will be more future proof than t7XXX with 1 GB ram...

decoding, encoding stuff wont see much difference when the processors have same instruction sets and same FSB

and as far as gaming is concerned, gfx card matters most and lesser RAM like 1 gb will be a serious bottleneck for new games and the games yet to be released...

FYI i run ALL latest games on a config like below
celeron d 2.4 ghz with 256 KB cache
1 gb ddr 400 single channel
geforce 6800 extreme

i play mostly @ 1024 x 768....

But in the end choice is yours.... i just think 2 gb ram is better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom