Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
@rider
I have been secretly monitoring these threads for a long time now :p, I will surely ask for all your opinions before making any decisions.

It could be my superstition, but I had an impression that the build quality and performance of HP is bad.
I have a lot of friends with HP laptops, and most of them have heating issues while some others complaint about bad support and made me pretty skeptical about their performance. Maybe you guys can shed some lights on that.

I will be ordering the laptop on 31st july, as soon as I hear those three magical words "Salary is Credited" :D

May be your friend is using some lower model of hp? In my model its the best after Apple in terms of build quality. It's metallic finishing and better designed by designers. In terms of performance it won the battle with Dell XPS 15 of 2011. Service is very decent they visit my home in a call, very happy with service.

LINK Check the design rating

ultimategamer

Broken In
15R SE gaming performance for MAX PAYNE 3 with following max settings:
*i50.tinypic.com/dr6mms.jpg

FRAPS readings are(i tested and rechecked 3 times):
Avg: 19.833 - Min: 15 - Max: 41

and temps readings r :
*i45.tinypic.com/28am15w.jpg

and game play time was 1:30 hrs

According to result given by sisley and result taken from notebookcheck amd 7730m beats nvidia 640m in max payne 3 and compareable to nvidia 650/560m.

Max Payne 3 Benchmarked - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

pratik385

In the zone
Hi guys, Any app to note the core temps?
I'm currently using coretemps

During idle state its around 45c-52c and when i'm play Codemasters F1 2011 on high settings it reaches 96c-98c after that game crashes :/

help!

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos

During idle state its around 45c-52c and when i'm play Codemasters F1 2011 on high settings it reaches 96c-98c after that game crashes :/

help!

I know man XPS 15 reaches to 98*C sometimes :|
Download this

raj_55555

Journeyman
Hmm.. It's third though :p
I was just going through the dv6 specs and price, its around 68k (i7 proccy, couldn't find i5), not in my budget at all :(.
I can compromise on the proccy as all I will ever do is gaming, got a couple of laptops for other jobs.. I guess I will keep on monitoring for a while..

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Hmm.. It's third though :p
I was just going through the dv6 specs and price, its around 68k (i7 proccy, couldn't find i5), not in my budget at all :(.
I can compromise on the proccy as all I will ever do is gaming, got a couple of laptops for other jobs.. I guess I will keep on monitoring for a while..

No, core-i7 is not around 68k. Right now 7010tx with core-i7 but GT 630M is of 58-59k in market.

pratyush997

Inactive
15R SE gaming performance for MAX PAYNE 3 with following max settings:
*i50.tinypic.com/dr6mms.jpg

FRAPS readings are(i tested and rechecked 3 times):
Avg: 19.833 - Min: 15 - Max: 41

and temps readings r :
*i45.tinypic.com/28am15w.jpg

and game play time was 1:30 hrs
Are u in Antarctica?? Damn. Cool Laptop!

Asus K55VM-SX086D stands nothing in terms of gaming performance. Neither it comes with a genuine windows nor damage warranty. BTW what model you bought of hp, from that you started advertising hp sux :lol:
HP Pavilion TX1000 Tablet PC
*t2.gstatic.com/imagesq=tbn:ANd9GcS5OaHdxZlGJzw0RRpPPoYmqoPMM_6RBeljWcUEoLYxGmlZQWrjDg

Last edited:

har

In the zone
@sisley--Damn this laptop is too good to be true. Performance is more in the 70k region :-D

Its just the 10k extra that dell asks for 2 years extended warrantty thats troubling me. That would bring it upto 60k :evil:I would get a samsung S550(with blueray :shock:) in that price according to dealers. Did you take extended warranty ?

sisley

Broken In
According to result given by sisley and result taken from notebookcheck amd 7730m beats nvidia 640m in max payne 3 and compareable to nvidia 650/560m.

Max Payne 3 Benchmarked - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

but thr is no data of GT640 M for 1366*768 DX11,High,4*AF(orange color)

help!

i m using CPUID HW Monitor

yesterday i also played f1 with monaco circuit for arnd 40 mins :-D...core temp. was arnd 65 C for me

idle temps r same for xps 15 and 15R SE but gaming temps has lot of differences...even one of my friends living downstairs played MW3 online with me yesterday on XPS15 and got 90 C temps.......dell promised me better heating performance on this SE and it looks like they told truth:wink:

@sisley--Damn this laptop is too good to be true. Performance is more in the 70k region :-D

Its just the 10k extra that dell asks for 2 years extended warrantty thats troubling me. That would bring it upto 60k :evil:I would get a samsung S550(with blueray :shock:) in that price according to dealers. Did you take extended warranty ?

nopes i didnt got any......price was also a factor for me:wink:

ratul

█████████████████

well, i took the warranty and my budget shot up to 70k, but if you are buying lappy for a long run, and gaming, then i must say that no doubt you'll need the extended warranty... :|
As for me, i wont buy another till 3-4yrs, and won't leave gaming... :p, so it's up to you only to make any selection...

pratik385

In the zone
I know man XPS 15 reaches to 98*C sometimes :|
Download this

Thanks man :)
Yes it goes high, any measures to make it low?

but thr is no data of GT640 M for 1366*768 DX11,High,4*AF(orange color)

i m using CPUID HW Monitor

yesterday i also played f1 with monaco circuit for arnd 40 mins :-D...core temp. was arnd 65 C for me

idle temps r same for xps 15 and 15R SE but gaming temps has lot of differences...even one of my friends living downstairs played MW3 online with me yesterday on XPS15 and got 90 C temps.......dell promised me better heating performance on this SE and it looks like they told truth:wink:

nopes i didnt got any......price was also a factor for me:wink:

Dude! share your gamertag or add me "pralofan" will play online :D
btw you have ivy right?
temps are lookin solid also gr8 with i7
ive 3yr complete care and my right button of touch pad is not working at all, will they do it for free? :p

joy84

Right off the assembly line
@Sisley Can you please try to install Linux OS to see if it supports the hardware.

@rider and sisley, i have been following your comments, congo sisley new laptop:lol:

i have a question for u both...

which one is better HP Pavillion Beats audio (OR) Dell Inspiron 15r SE Waves MaxxAudio 4.0 studio-quality sound suite + Skullcandy Speakers (2x 2W),

which is better when compared to sound output and quality while watching movies and listening to music..i am a music lover dont want to compromise on music

pls suggest....

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Only thing that seems troubling is that whenever I see hard disk temperatures on this thread it is around 47-49 degrees. Now I know a laptop cramps a lot of stuff in a small space and a hard disk can work in 0-60 degrees but isn't that hdd temp a bit high? I guess effective temp of an hdd should be less than 44 degrees.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Only thing that seems troubling is that whenever I see hard disk temperatures on this thread it is around 47-49 degrees. Now I know a laptop cramps a lot of stuff in a small space and a hard disk can work in 0-60 degrees but isn't that hdd temp a bit high? I guess effective temp of an hdd should be less than 44 degrees.

yea, my HDD of dv6 remain below 44 even after intense use, it is of toshiba.

har

In the zone

Thats a problem. Temperatures near 50 degrees can reduce hdd life :-? I heard somewhere 55 degrees is the maximum for hdd.

girishpaiv

Journeyman
@sisley

can u please post the screenshot of CPU-Z showing its Memory tab

to check the ram latency(timings) .... :|

still confused whether to go for 4GB version and then add 4GB or 8GB version directly..bcos 8GB version is 3k more than 4GB !!
and 4GB DDR3 wont cost 3k anyday !!!:cry:

also i doubt whether 4 GB version will hav filled the 2 RAM slots with 2GB's each, is it a possibility here??

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Isn't it mentioned on their website what ram modules they are using and if any slots are user accessible or not?

raj_55555

Journeyman
yeah! I was also wondering whether we can order 15R SE with 8GB RAM, and whether it will have any effect at all on the gaming?

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Isn't it mentioned on their website what ram modules they are using and if any slots are user accessible or not?

Why you going so deep in this, I saw may users in my hp dv6 thread who upgraded 4 GB to 8 GB with their hands and not a single guy face RAM timing issue. :|
There is a open slot given in all inspiron of 4GB model.

Top Bottom