Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

girishpaiv

Journeyman
Isn't it mentioned on their website what ram modules they are using and if any slots are user accessible or not?

only mentioned :
8GB 2 DIMM (4GB x2) DDR3 1600Mhz
4GB 1 DIMM (4GB x1) DDR3 1600Mhz

okey that solves my last part of question !!tnkz, my bad!!:lol:

but 1st part is mor imp!!Waiting foe Sisley to snap n post :-o

Why you going so deep in this, I saw may users in my hp dv6 thread who upgraded 4 GB to 8 GB with their hands and not a single guy face RAM timing issue. :|
There is a open slot given in all inspiron of 4GB model.

I hav read stuffs lyk this :

"As a general rule, you shouldn't mix RAM that way. You can... I have... But it is usually less stable to do so. And you will end up losing the performance that you could have had with the faster RAM. Now, you could re-tune the RAM settings..."

Link :Mixing RAM - same size and Mhz, different latency and volts - Memory - Motherboards-Memory

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Why you going so deep in this, I saw may users in my hp dv6 thread who upgraded 4 GB to 8 GB with their hands and not a single guy face RAM timing issue. :|
There is a open slot given in all inspiron of 4GB model.

Ermm...when did I mention ram timings in the post you quoted? :facepalm: That was in another post where again,he asked about it. :|
I just asked him to check whether it is mentioned that a ram slot is user accessible or not since he was asking about it.
And by the way, yes I do know you can put in any 4gb ram module of the same frequency. Have done it myself.

"As a general rule, you shouldn't mix RAM that way. You can... I have... But it is usually less stable to do so. And you will end up losing the performance that you could have had with the faster RAM. Now, you could re-tune the RAM settings"

Yes but the performance difference is not noticeable.

sisley

Broken In
@sisley

can u please post the screenshot of CPU-Z showing its Memory tab

to check the ram latency(timings) .... :|

still confused whether to go for 4GB version and then add 4GB or 8GB version directly..bcos 8GB version is 3k more than 4GB !!
and 4GB DDR3 wont cost 3k anyday !!!:cry:

also i doubt whether 4 GB version will hav filled the 2 RAM slots with 2GB's each, is it a possibility here??

always use 8 GB memory especially for gaming....maxpayne 3 gaming is proof of that as my RAM usage increases to 4.12 GB though many hidden programs like anti-virus,idm and themes also running.........its better u buy 4GB separately to upgrade to 8 GB........anyway 15R SE uses 2 DIMM (4GB x2) not 2 GB ones

anyway here is the screenshot if CPU-Z memory data:
*i47.tinypic.com/i5n4hs.jpg

Only thing that seems troubling is that whenever I see hard disk temperatures on this thread it is around 47-49 degrees. Now I know a laptop cramps a lot of stuff in a small space and a hard disk can work in 0-60 degrees but isn't that hdd temp a bit high? I guess effective temp of an hdd should be less than 44 degrees.

yups.....hdd is of WD and its temp. never reaches 45 C.........always above it......dont know the exact reason though idle and operating temps depend a lot on case surrounding it.....u can clarify if u know.....my room temp. is also not so high......though 60C is the max operating temp of the western digital 1 tb drives.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Ermm...when did I mention ram timings in the post you quoted? :facepalm: That was in another post where again,he asked about it. :|
I just asked him to check whether it is mentioned that a ram slot is user accessible or not since he was asking about it.
And by the way, yes I do know you can put in any 4gb ram module of the same frequency. Have done it myself.

"As a general rule, you shouldn't mix RAM that way. You can... I have... But it is usually less stable to do so. And you will end up losing the performance that you could have had with the faster RAM. Now, you could re-tune the RAM settings"

Yes but the performance difference is not noticeable.

Sorry, man I got confuse by other post. :facepalm: I don't know that much technical about RAM. I just know I plugged extra kingston 4GB 1333Mhz same that comes with hp. And my computer barely use even 6GB of it, 8GB is more than enough.

Please add some avatar, its difficult to judge by name. :p

sisley

Broken In
@rider and sisley, i have been following your comments, congo sisley new laptop:lol:

i have a question for u both...

which one is better HP Pavillion Beats audio (OR) Dell Inspiron 15r SE Waves MaxxAudio 4.0 studio-quality sound suite + Skullcandy Speakers (2x 2W),

which is better when compared to sound output and quality while watching movies and listening to music..i am a music lover dont want to compromise on music

pls suggest....

HP Pavillion Beats audio definitely beats maxxaudio sound system as its subwoofers r latest with triple bass though skullcandy speaker r based on same technology as used in ipods/iphones........i anyway use sony headphones so i doesnt make much difference in terms of speakers.....so if u use headphones then go for skullcandy otherwise for speakers go for Beats audio

@Sisley Can you please try to install Linux OS to see if it supports the hardware.

srry cannt do for next 2 weeks as lot of downloading and adjusting going on in win7 to make up for crashed hard drive 2 tb data loss:wink: in terms of softwares,songs,movies etc.......though as soon as i m done there, i m definitely gonna install Linux and check for its support by 15R SE :-D

Thanks man :)
Yes it goes high, any measures to make it low?

Dude! share your gamertag or add me "pralofan" will play online :D
btw you have ivy right?
temps are lookin solid also gr8 with i7
ive 3yr complete care and my right button of touch pad is not working at all, will they do it for free? :p

i dont think so as they always make some excuse for repairing hardware parts saying this part is not covered under warranty...u can check warranty details(horrible technical details) or call them:wink:

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
@rider and sisley, i have been following your comments, congo sisley new laptop:lol:

i have a question for u both...

which one is better HP Pavillion Beats audio (OR) Dell Inspiron 15r SE Waves MaxxAudio 4.0 studio-quality sound suite + Skullcandy Speakers (2x 2W),

which is better when compared to sound output and quality while watching movies and listening to music..i am a music lover dont want to compromise on music

pls suggest....

Sound Quality of beats make the song very detailed, even some little instrument in the background get highlighted makes it more juicy. I've many songs in .flac and it sounds true in my sennheiser headphones. I also have Edifier M3200 which sounds very nice for acoustic music.
Don't know about new 15R SE MAxx audio 4.0 but old models audio was fine, above average.

ultimategamer

Broken In
@sisley "but thr is no data of GT640 M for 1366*768 DX11,High,4*AF(orange color)"

*www.notebookcheck.net/Max-Payne-3-Benchmarked.76043.0.html

Scroll the page down in above link you will find all data of nvidia 640m,650m/560m etc.

vickm

Right off the assembly line
Sisley, one more request. :)

Is it possible for you to run the wPrime benchmark, which I think will give an idea of how much the temperature goes to, when all 4 cores are being used at max level, without the GPU. This is not useful for gaming as such, so maybe you and others don't care as much, but it would help me a lot.

I wanted to compare with some numbers that have been reported elsewhere:
*forum.notebookreview.com/sager-cle...-w110er-first-look-review-25.html#post8511095

The Clevo used there is a very, very different laptop: 11" and GT 650M, so I'm hoping the Inspiron SE would do much better.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Acoustichead

Broken In
Hi All,

I have been following this thread for quite some time now. I am relatively a newbie to the laptop world :lol:....I saw the inspiron 15R SE and I have been considering to buy it. However, I am in a dilemma...to go for which model...I have shortlisted two models:

1st one:
Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor (3MB cache, up to 2.9 GHz)
Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (English)
Display 15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) - ICC
Memory3 6GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Hard Drive 1.0TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Video Card AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M DDR3 2GB - ICC
Optical Drive 12.7" Tray Load Blu-ray (BD) Combo Drive (BD Read Only)

OR

this one:

Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM Processor (6MB cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
Memory3 4GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Optical Drive 12.7" SATA Tray Load DVD+/-RW

I will be playing games like Batman Arkham City,COD series, Max Payne 3, BF3, GTA 4 which I know are graphic intensive games.

The 1st model has a i5 processor and a 6GB RAM which i wont be able to upgrade further(confirmed by dell representative).

The 2nd model has an i7 processor bt 4GB RAM which can be upgraded later. But it will be sometime before I upgrade the RAM if I go for this model.
Will be able to play games I mentioned above ??

Also, budget is little tight so even increase 3k would be a big deal for me. So thats my dilemma right there.Hope you masters can help me out this one!!

poTpoT

Right off the assembly line
:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

im new here and i red all good stuff in 15r se?

:shock::shock::shock:

here in uae it cost 3,999 dhs

and im planning to buy my laptop

and i saw dv6-6165tx - i 7 , dv6-6160se - i5 and now 15R se i5 and i7 .

can u give advice waht to be buy im on gaming also so i want good grapics so im comparing ddr5 6770m vs ddr3 7730m ... ?
base on what i red here 7730m is gud gpu...credit to sisley:-D

btw here dv6-6160se - i5 and 15R se i5 are same price at 3399 aed.... so any idea what to buy..

tnx in advc and i want to here reply from rider ^^

Acoustichead

Broken In
Hi All,

I have been following this thread for quite sometime now. I have decided to buy the Inspiron 15R SE series. I have shortlisted two models however, I am in a dilemma as to which one to go for.

Model 1

Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM Processor (6MB cache, up to 3.1 GHz)

Model 2:

Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor (3MB cache, up to 2.9 GHz)

I would be mostly into gaming. Games like Max Payne 3, GTA 4, BF3,etc which are graphically intensive games.

Model 2 has 6 GB RAM which cannot be upgraded further (confirmed by dell representative).

Model 1 has 4 GB RAM which can upgraded later on. However due to budget constraints I will be able to upgrade it only after a 1-2 months. Would I be able to play above mentioned games on this model??? Also, can someone guide me how to upgrade the RAM of a laptop?

P.S.: I am a newbie & this is gonna be my first laptop :lol: Sorry for any "stupid" questions...I hope you masters can help me out. Cheers!

far

Keep Going!
i7 with 4 GB RAM ...you should go for it...ideal for your usage.. YOu can upgrade RAM when you get more cash later point of time...Say 4GB costs around 1k - 1.2k..

dan4u

Took Off!!!
went to a local dealer today, they quoted Rs 46,500 for the 15R SE, they said it'll reach on Monday.

Acoustichead

Broken In
i7 with 4 GB RAM ...you should go for it...ideal for your usage.. YOu can upgrade RAM when you get more cash later point of time...Say 4GB costs around 1k - 1.2k..

thanks android!! But will I be able to play latest games like Max Payne 3???. Coz i read somewhere in the thread that the RAM usage for it goes more than 4 GB. So that just makes a little anxious... Can you help me out??

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Hi All,

I have been following this thread for quite some time now. I am relatively a newbie to the laptop world :lol:....I saw the inspiron 15R SE and I have been considering to buy it. However, I am in a dilemma...to go for which model...I have shortlisted two models:

1st one:

OR

this one:

I will be playing games like Batman Arkham City,COD series, Max Payne 3, BF3, GTA 4 which I know are graphic intensive games.

The 1st model has a i5 processor and a 6GB RAM which i wont be able to upgrade further(confirmed by dell representative).

The 2nd model has an i7 processor bt 4GB RAM which can be upgraded later. But it will be sometime before I upgrade the RAM if I go for this model.
Will be able to play games I mentioned above ??

Also, budget is little tight so even increase 3k would be a big deal for me. So thats my dilemma right there.Hope you masters can help me out this one!!

I recommend you to get:

Model 1

Inspiron models have two RAM slots.
In 6 GB case Dell uses both slots as (4+2)GB and in 4GB models you can put a 4GB RAM manually.

went to a local dealer today, they quoted Rs 46,500 for the 15R SE, they said it'll reach on Monday.

for what configuration?

ratul

█████████████████
well, this is really awful thing to see:
Dell Customer Reviews June 2012.
None of the user gave more than 1 star out of 5, that should be a record... :(

Acoustichead

Broken In
Inspiron models have two RAM slots.
In 6 GB case Dell uses both slots as (4+2)GB and in 4GB models you can put a 4GB RAM manually.

Hi rider Thanks a lot!...I got a few more questions. Is laptop Ram different from a desktop RAM. I mean not functionality wise (dat wud be dumb of me :razz:), but in structure, design?...and would I be able to purchase and install on my own from say Lamington Road at Mumbai? or do i have to contact Dell support to do it?...

If I could do it on my own can you guide me as to how to do it?...

Like i said im a newbie :lol::lol:

Top Bottom