Decent 3rd gen i5 performer with good screen

OP
R

rohitmurarka

Broken In
@rider and Sujay: honestly speaking affordability is not an issue. We both are looking for Value for Money. That's all!!!

All current offerings doesn't fit in this VFM category, so I am forced to look beyond 3rd Gen as I can't wait past August.

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

I think I will zero in on Probook in that case as I got many positive feedbacks for this series. Have to visit Nehru place tomorrow, will update u guys abt what exact config and price they r offering. based on that we can have one more round of discussion to finalize which config to go for.

Thanks and have a good day all my Geek mates ;-)

aroraanant

Explorer
There is nothing great in the Probook 4430, a friend of mine owns it and he only says its not a good product to buy.

rider

as Kratos
There is nothing great in the Probook 4430, a friend of mine owns it and he only says its not a good product to buy.

LOL, what is not great in that, is he expect good gaming in a probook?
BTW we are suggesting him HP ProBook 4540s that has battery upto 7 hours and very brilliantly and rough and tough metallic made.

OP
R

rohitmurarka

Broken In
@arrorant I agree with rider, is he complaining abt gaming?? I am a non-gamer(0%). I need a lappy with solid build, relaxing display and a good CPU performance. Please confirm in what regard ur friend dislikes probooks

@rider I can't find 4540s models anywhere online. Can you suggest me any link, where I can check the configs and pricing details.

Also, if it is supposed to arrive bit too late in India, shall I consider buying this one HP ProBook 4430s (2nd Gen Core i5) Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook
after waiting 3 weeks(Max I can wait).

rider

as Kratos
@arrorant I agree with rider, is he complaining abt gaming?? I am a non-gamer(0%). I need a lappy with solid build, relaxing display and a good CPU performance. Please confirm in what regard ur friend dislikes probooks

@rider I can't find 4540s models anywhere online. Can you suggest me any link, where I can check the configs and pricing details.

Also, if it is supposed to arrive bit too late in India, shall I consider buying this one HP ProBook 4430s (2nd Gen Core i5) Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook
after waiting 3 weeks(Max I can wait).

If you live in delhi go to nehru place and buy it from hp world, shop name computer land.. they are the distributors of all hp laptops.

aroraanant

Explorer
some people say that probooks are not prone to heating issues but the one with the 2nd gen processors are prone to heating issues, I have seen that, that is the reason I m saying it.

I suggest you to opt for Samung laptop that I have suggested above or a thinkpad, and if your budget allows then Inspiron

swaroop.b

Broken In
@swaroop: m amazed at how we think insanely same. my views abt DV series r same, gud bt nt worthy for us.
also, it true due to low profit margin retailers r nt suggesting this one. even m thnkng to buy sony with i3-2370M and add 4gigs f extra ram.
it will drive ext monitor too....
Haha, so I am (amazed), mate!:thumbs:
SVE14112ENB + 2GB RAM (Total'd minimum 30.2k) was my first LOVE and still is!! Kept it in the Safe Zone! Now just need to clear things from my side (viz. my use and immediate future possibilities! Like, possibly I'll slightly upgrade my desktop so that it doesn't feel sluggish and buy the laptop which is my cool-looking, robust, secondary device to perform lighter additional tasks!)
anyways i also found HP probook 4430 at flipkart with i5-2450M for 37k. if any one can assure abt probook build i can pick that one. what u suggest SWAROOP. i hv a toss between sony i3 2nd gen and HP probook i5 2nd gen.

Thr r no worthy offerimgs in i5 3rd gen yet!!!! :-(
I'm also with ProBook 4430s (i5 2nd gen). But the only trouble is, it doesn't come with Genuine Windows! Even for a Home Basic that'd cost 5.5k more. Plus I'm excited about the Windows 8 upgrade offer! aroraanant has mentioned that it suffers from heating issue. Remember that laptops are never going to be as robust as desktops. So, devices which are already suffering from heating, to be used in India as a desktop replacement may not be recommended. Seniors, please correct me if I'm wrong.

About i3 vs i5, I'd surely recommend you i5 (due to Turbo Boost). In general processors designed for laptops (and especially those used in mid-range laptops) have much less processing power as compared to their desktop siblings. On the basis of synthetic benchmarks, a desktop i3 is roughly comparable to laptop i5. (I know I'm talking very vague, but this is just remark after using them for a while and reading reviews/specs!) Even if you have a with-today's-comparison-low-end desktop, to match up its performance with a laptop for a long time from now, the on-paper specs of the laptop have to be much more powerful. And remember, you won't be able to add a graphic card or change the processor or plug in any add-on IO card in the laptop (which is piece of cake in case of desktops).

So, determine your current use, think about what you'll be needing in future and take a decision! Lastly, (unless your current machine is absolutely dead), you can always take your time! (There are options for i5 3rd gen slowly coming up!) And TDF members will for sure help you sort your doubts!:)

some people say that probooks are not prone to heating issues but the one with the 2nd gen processors are prone to heating issues, I have seen that, that is the reason I m saying it.

I suggest you to opt for Samung laptop that I have suggested above or a thinkpad, and if your budget allows then Inspiron
Did you/your friend who used ProBook make any complaint to HP about the heating issue? Or was it a known issue in the model? Is it the same/similar model I and rohitmurarka are talking about?

ThinkPad is certainly a good option when it comes to robustness. But it was a much better option when IBM used to rule it. These days only the T-series-plus are great enough (I've personally handled one). Other cheaper ThinkPads are sadly nothing more than "Lenovo Products".

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^From my experience, probooks (2nd gen & later) don't heat. My best friend has bought its 3rd gen i5 model a few weeks ago.

OP
R

rohitmurarka

Broken In
@everyone: thanks for all the feedbacks.

@swaroop yeah i knw performance gap bet same procesor series designed for laptops and desktops. bt the thing is i ran a simple matlab prog on b960 proc lappy and it run in one fourth time what my core2duo desktop takes. so the new gen r already btr than wat i hv. but m also more concerned abt overall config as we cnt hv too much f customization after purchase.

i went nehru place tomorrow, i cnt find probooks bt did found newer e430 with upgraded specs usb 3.0 being a welcome addition.
I found best price 36k at two shops for i5--2520M, 2GB/500HDD/one 3.0/DOS.

what u guys suggest? Is it a grt buy or shall i stick to probook(which i cudnt find on stores i visited)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^If possible get a 3rd gen i5 probook because it will fill the gap for missing dGPU. But this will also push your budget to 40+. If not possible, 4430s as you posted earlier. E430 is also good but personally I don't like looks of thinkpads and probooks are also 19 if not 20, in build quality. Just my view.

OP
R

rohitmurarka

Broken In
@sujay going 40+ nt an issue, bt m unable to find any probook in d mkt to evn decide whether to take that or nt. as far as thinkpad looks r concerned that's nt an issue fr me.

all i nd is good built and decent screen suitable fr long working hours. and i what i read on net i fl both probook and e430 have non glossy screen which wl servey purpose..
:-D

rider

as Kratos
@sujay going 40+ nt an issue, bt m unable to find any probook in d mkt to evn decide whether to take that or nt. as far as thinkpad looks r concerned that's nt an issue fr me.

all i nd is good built and decent screen suitable fr long working hours. and i what i read on net i fl both probook and e430 have non glossy screen which wl servey purpose..
:-D

heyy, bro I would like to suggest to buy a 3rd gen core-i5 laptop, why to invest money on old 2nd gen sandy bridge thinkpad e430. I think lenovo will update the new thinkpad lineup with ivy bridge processor in few months.
And what hp world was saying about the model that hp India is showing their website?? When probook 4540s will come in the market ask hp customer care about it.

hp probook 4540s has too anti-glare, non-glossy display.

OP
R

rohitmurarka

Broken In
@rider i knw mate
i called lenovo and hp customer care for new proccy based books but bpth were unsure abt the new lineup availability. :-(

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
customer care guys are unsure what they are selling right now and you asked about updated laptops :grin:

keep going though indian tech sites. some may uncover info about new laptop launches long before official launch.

OP
R

rohitmurarka

Broken In
+1 from me too

dude i keep checking 3-4 times a day all the tech sites with indian updates ;-)

n i cn hold on till 3rd week of this mnth. in the 4th i will buy whatever best option avlb(even if it means 2nd gen i5) :-(

rider

as Kratos
Not always, sometimes a good customer care representative or any senior can help in this. But its generally doesn't works because we all know who people do this job :p
the hp probook 4540s powered by 3rd gen processor is in official website from more than a month but it seems weird that its not available even in nehru place hp world yet.
HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) (B8Z32PA)

Top Bottom