Debate branded vs assembled PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
S

sanjay_111

Broken In
But in case of assembled PC, each components has its own warranty. Most products has min of 3yr warranty nd some has 5yrs like HDD etc.
Only optical drives has 1yr limited warranty.

This is the best point I have heard in this debate. Indeed branded PC servicing after one year is a real pain and with assembled, u actually get a longer effective warranty. I would also want to go for assembled next time round.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
obs assembled computer perform far better then branded.....
branded don't even come close...
go for an assembled if u want performance..
if u want lots of problems then go for branded !

also u have lots of problems updating branded computers..

they put a crap mobo with only 2 DIMM slots !
and most of the time u won't have an PCI E slot !! !

my friend who got one from HP for 60k 1 yr back suffered from the above !

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i bought HP PC (with intel 915g m/b) in 2005 November, guess what? it doesnt has PCI-e slot:))

a reason for which i had to get new m/b :x

my cousin's hav HP PC (2006), those PC hav PCI-e slots. the models starting with "15" come wit PCI-e slots. mine is "12" (a1210in)

gulgulumaal

Broken In
sanjay_111 said:
This is the best point I have heard in this debate. Indeed branded PC servicing after one year is a real pain and with assembled, u actually get a longer effective warranty. I would also want to go for assembled next time round.

But make sure you check with ur assembler. Coz I know assemblers who give a blanket 1 yr warranty to unsuspecting customers. The customers wouldnt know the individual warranty periods for each of the components.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@gulgulumaal
the warranty is not given by da assembler or da dealer, but the manufacturers through the mega dealers.
For eg if ur local dealer refuses to send a product for warranty, u can go directly to the mega dealer[like Rashi etc] who has dealership of da product nd claim da warranty nd if u like u can go against the small dealer legally[just waste of money].

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Assembled PCs are best cos I am a half-geek & I know how to fix software & minor hardware problems myself.

If I wasn't then I would have preferred a Dell or HP.

OP
S

sanjay_111

Broken In
gx_saurav said:
Assembled PCs are best cos I am a half-geek & I know how to fix software & minor hardware problems myself.

If I wasn't then I would have preferred a Dell or HP.

If you are a half geek and feel confident, I have a problem for you. Would you like to look advise me. It is really troubling me and I am desperate for help.

This is not the thread to discuss it but if you can help me, leave a msg here or send me a PM

gulgulumaal

Broken In
aravind_n20 said:
@gulgulumaal
the warranty is not given by da assembler or da dealer, but the manufacturers through the mega dealers.
For eg if ur local dealer refuses to send a product for warranty, u can go directly to the mega dealer[like Rashi etc] who has dealership of da product nd claim da warranty nd if u like u can go against the small dealer legally[just waste of money].
@aravind_n20
Yeah I know that warranty is given by the manufacturers, but one question here...if I'm buying from an assembler, I dont have a proper bill for the individual components with date of purchase, right. I just one bill for the whole PC from the assember (if I get a proper bill for the PC..that is). I would hopefully just have the month and year of purchase on the product as a sticker on the product. And that too is there only for some products (eg: I havent seen any such sticker on my LCD monitor)

Would this be enough to go for a warranty claim?. My friend who's an assembler once told me that for warranty claims for many of the components, I'll need to go through him!!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@gulgulumaal
I once gave a 4yr old Samsung HDD[which has only 3yr warranty] with a bill which says its only 2yr old. I did take dat risk for a friend[the force was immense]. The bill didn had ny product no. on it, so the vendor sent it to Samsung. It came back sayin the warranty had expired. How did da company knew dat?

So the company gives warranty on some of da following points:
The date ticked/marked on da product.
The expected sale period of da product[assumed by da company].
If there is no tampering.

Dell dun give ny bill or such things. Just send it to dem nd thell check da product no. nd see if its in warranty, then its granted.

If u seek warranty directly from Rashi, then no need for even da bill. They knew da date which they sent it to chotta dealers. They mark dat date as purchase date.

Hope its clear now.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
when its branded PC, no worries about poduct failure.

my HP (nearly 2 years old) came with 80GB Hitachi HDD, i still hav not experienced any bad sector or data error.

above all i dont even have a UPS & my PC has gone thru zillions of power cuts.

gulgulumaal

Broken In
aravind_n20 said:
@gulgulumaal
If u seek warranty directly from Rashi, then no need for even da bill. They knew da date which they sent it to chotta dealers. They mark dat date as purchase date. Hope its clear now.
That's interesting info...thanks!!

anispace

dattebayo
yeah same with my HP Pavilion. no probs since i purchased it more than 2yrs back.
although i got an 80GB Western Digital hdd and have a PCI express slot to add a gfx card with my HP Pavilion.:);)

edit:
n yeah no UPS but that doesnt count i guess coz there are almost zero power cuts in bombay but still:|

NucleusKore

TheSaint
WHat Asvin said is right. If you know your hardware go for assembled ;-)
Else stick to branded (tried-trusted-proven)

And also note that UPS may not come bundled with it, so add another Rs. 2000.

MasterMinds

hell boy
yeah man these branded pcs are nothing they donot have right configs. i am talking about hp and compact lik that compnies not alienware or mac i seen have seen an add with some config dunno properly but was some c2d and 256 mb of ram what u will do with that they price there pcs very high:cool::cool::cool:

azzu

AJJU
iam Assembled to go
but local companies like Zenith provide good config's at low price
though quality is poooooooor

azzu

AJJU
i called it local but it aint local brand
iam not telling to go for the Branded but as all told for the noobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom