Debate branded vs assembled PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjay_111

Broken In
Has there been a debate here on branded vs assembled PC ?

I have bought two computers earlier and took branded (Compaq presario) both times. Reasons were:

1. I found that for like to like configuration, branded PC and assembled PC prices were nearly the same.

2. Branded PC does get you better service. At least my experience with Compaq has been very good.

3. You get goodies with branded computers (PC games / encyclopaedia). You don't with assembled PCs

Now my sister is going to buy a PC and I was wondering if we should try other options this time.

What do the cognoscenti on this forum think of assembled and branded PCs ?

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
If somebody without any computer knowledge wants to buy a PC, I blindly recommend DELL. Their sub-35k desktop computers are have real VFM.

I Personally build my own PC, So I'd don't call it 'assembled' its more like 'custom built'.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Assembled computers are recommended for people with advanced knowledge of computers or those having any such friend. If you are not one of any of these two, go for a branded one as you would be sure that you haven't been duped by the person from which you got the PC assembled

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
asnvin said:
Assembled computers are recommended for people with advanced knowledge of computers or those having any such friend. If you are not one of any of these two, go for a branded one as you would be sure that you haven't been duped by the person from which you got the PC assembled

+++1

i always buy assembled comps coz i can buy gud hardware for mt comp.
branded pc's mostly dont have an nvidia or ati Graphix card.
moreover they dont provide more than 1 GB ram.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
The best thing about Branded PC is SUPPORT.But they charge for this.

But you dont have much options to configure your PC according to your needs. For newbie , branded computer is always recommended.

Those who knows basic troubleshooting must buy assembled computer. You get option to configure your system according to your need and budget.Also price is lower.

You even get guarantee on all products..but for that you have to visit service centers.

OP
S

sanjay_111

Broken In
The sort of reply I expected. Since most people here have a high level of expertise, I suppose you all have assembled PCs.

I hope I have enough confidence to put together one of my own when I buy the next one in about 2 years time. Sis will now be assembling one only

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
get a Branded PC if you dont know hardware installing/trouble shooting.

to assemble a PC, its a BIG pain in arse, coz you've to buy & then assemble(or pay 200buks to get it assembled) & most of the time you'll buy h/w from different shops.

When you get Branded PC like HP Pavilion, you get peace of mind (ie, if the Piece has no defects:p).

OS installation is automated & you get ORIGINAL OS & bundled s/w. no need to install drivers coz when OS gets installed, it'll install all the required drivers too.

you'll rarely see BSOD. i never saw BSOD on my HP Pavilion, but see it every now & then on my assembled PC (reason - pirated OS).

anyways go for Assembled ONLY if you have h/w knowledge (alongwith s/w know...) & the confidence:p.

if you go for Assembled, get original OS (XP).

gulgulumaal

Broken In
Buying a branded PC doesn't necessarily mean u get an original OS. Low cost PCs from most of the branded companies now come with some stupid OS like FreeDOS installed which is almost a guarantee that it will be removed and a pirated copy of XP or Vista will be installed, most probably by the dealer himself.

And..there is essentially no difference between a branded or assembled PC as far as the components are concerned. Coz you can always use the same (or better) components to assemble your own PC at a lower cost.

And what's more, most components if you purchase them separately have pretty long warranty periods (eg: Mobos and monitors have 3 year warranty. hard disks have 5 year warranty), while most branded PCs give only a 1 year warranty.

So in the end, I would say, if you know what you're doing, it's always better to get an assembled PC (from a reliable person). You can assemble a better PC, exactly the way you want, at a lower cost.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Ull get excellent support for only 1yr for branded PC. Then ull have to pay extra for every 1yr of extended warranty nd the amount goes on increasing as the PC grows older. COnsider if the HDD gone bad just after 1yr nd u didn't apply for extended warranty.

But in case of assembled PC, each components has its own warranty. Most products has min of 3yr warranty nd some has 5yrs like HDD etc.
Only optical drives has 1yr limited warranty.

Another main problem with branded PCs is dat, itll be limited in upgradibility. Most of my friend's branded[Zenith nd Compaq] PCs dun haf AGP slots or more than 2 mem slots.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
If branded PC is a must dun go below Alienware, Falcon or Dell XPS.:D

In that case u won't be needing technical support, but medical support for not being heart attacked by its xtreme performance.

That is is u goin for killer machines with no money barrier, branded is da way to go. U can't get such h/w from ny shops[like vapour cooling from Alien].

desai_amogh

In the zone
ravi_9793 said:
But you dont have much options to configure your PC according to your needs. For newbie , branded computer is always recommended.

DELL gives u the option to select ur configuration online or over the phone & also gives support .. a good option ..
but the overall cost of the system is quite high if u select the same config & buy it at a local dealer ..

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@desai_amogh
no yaar, u can easily get the exact config or better at cheaper rates from local market. Coz fro da branded PC, we actually has to pay the service charge, nd assembling charges along with the shipping charges nd its mostly hidden in the main price nd they say much less amount as the shipping etc.

dekho bhaiyon seedhi si baat hai.
if u want configuration according to u.
then go for assembled one.
or if u want gud support,u r noobie and want yes sir sure sir stuff then go for branded.
i personally prefer assembled.
after that it is up to u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom