DDR 3 Memory problem, with 4 GB single RAM module.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chetan.g

Journeyman
I have the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard. (that can support total 16 GB DDR3 memory has four memory slots)

When i first bought this computer i only bought 4GB (2x2 GB module) of RAM DDR3 1333 Mhz since i was on a limited budget. A couple weeks ago I bought additionally 1 module of 4 GB Transcend RAM 1333 Mhz. To scaleup my memory to 8 GB total.

I tried installing 4 GB Transcend RAM it 10 different ways and my motherboard does not recognize it. My computer boots up properly, but no Post-beep sound heard.

Now, When i install my default (2x2 GB module) every thing works fine, Upon inserting 4 GB DDR 3 module the problem starts.

I have tried 4 GB module Transcend RAM in every slot but the problem persist, Please let me know how can get through with this problem.

Regards

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
so both the modules work fine individually? There might be issue of timing.
This is the reason it is not recommend to use different brands of RAM together.

saswat23

Human Spambot
^^ No, there is no such issues if you use RAM of different brands. He has clearly mentioned that when he faces the problem when he inserts the 4GB stick only. So, its most probable that this stick is a faulty one.
OP, do check this stick on another PC.

OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
so both the modules work fine individually? There might be issue of timing.
This is the reason it is not recommend to use different brands of RAM together.

^^ No, there is no such issues if you use RAM of different brands. He has clearly mentioned that when he faces the problem when he inserts the 4GB stick only. So, its most probable that this stick is a faulty one.
OP, do check this stick on another PC.

Thanks for the reply guys , I have tried the 4 GB module into the vendor and then in my friends computer, there the computer boots properly , therefore the seems to be working.

not able to understand where is the problem lie,,, in motherboard or in RAM,

One query ... weather the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard cannot support the 4GB one module RAM?? or I have to buy 2x2 GB RAM ??
Please note: my motherboard supports a total of 16 GB ram ... plz help to knock out this issue as I dont known what to do with this Transcend 4GB ram module.

Last edited:
Your mobo has 4 DIMM slots. Your mobo can have 16GB memory total. Do the math. What do you find? Your mobo supports 4GB max memory per slot.

Have you tried to boot only with the 4GB single stick? Try that. Make sure you insert the module properly. Listen for the "click" when the latch closes onto it.
Maybe your PC is not booting because you're not properly inserting the 4GB stick.

OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
Your mobo has 4 DIMM slots. Your mobo can have 16GB memory total. Do the math. What do you find? Your mobo supports 4GB max memory per slot.

Have you tried to boot only with the 4GB single stick? Try that. Make sure you insert the module properly. Listen for the "click" when the latch closes onto it.
Maybe your PC is not booting because you're not properly inserting the 4GB stick.

Thank Gaurav for you suggestion, yes my mobo has 4 DIMM slots that supports total 16 GB of memory.

As per your suggestion, I have tried it on every slot (I have installed module properly with "click" sound) but nothing happen , the computer still remains unresponsive or no post beep sound.

Plz help what should I do to make it run....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - update the mobo bios to the latest version available , reset cmos setting by removing the battery ( and put it again on the place after 2 mins ) and then try with the 4GB ram module again.

OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
Does the red light on motherboard keep`s on blinking?

@ OP - update the mobo bios to the latest version available , reset cmos setting by removing the battery ( and put it again on the place after 2 mins ) and then try with the 4GB ram module again.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have reseted the CMOS as per your suggestion but no use, still the same problem. For updating the BIOS, I dont know it will make any difference coz the motherboard default BIOS is configured to hold 16 GB memory, I dont think updating the BIOS will help me to resolve the issue.
So, I have reseted the CMOS battery by removing and installed it iin after 2mins, tried with 4 GB module , still no response.

What could be the problem, plz help

helion

Broken In
Did you try to put it in the nominated slot? The mobo manual will indicate into which slot the first(or the only) RAM stick must go.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
1. check whether they aree of same ;CL' rating or not. i.e. CL8 & CL9 can't work together.
2. Put your 2x @GB modules in A1 & B1 slot. And then Put that 4GB module into A2 slot.
3. Reset BIOS.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Guys he cant even get it started with the 2 GB chips removed and only 4 GB placed in Slot. So I don't think its because of CL issue and he also has tried putting it in all the 4 slots one by one and still fails.

So I think the RAM is dead.

helion

Broken In
If the RAM were dead, it must not have worked when tested with others' mobos. Hence it is either incompatible by some or the other reason - like the no. of memory chips, configuration - single sided/double sided, how much is each chip's memory*, or the loose possibility that the sequence of actions leading to inserting the RAM have not necessarily been in order.

*Details about these are usually published in the mobo manual/ website.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Better update the Motherboard BIOS as it might not support some newer versions of Ram which are released after the BIOS you're currently having. BIOS update might update compatibility with the newer rams. 785G is a relatively older chipset and a BIOS update might work.

dfcols71

In the zone
the configuration isn't right didn't you get it for 4 ram slot you cant use 2x2 gb modules and one 4gb modules either only 4gb modules or 2 gb modules not both together

Cilus

laborare est orare
There is nothing like that you can only use same sized Ram modules while using multiple modules. Also read it carefully, he tried with only the 4 GB ram but still didn't work out for him
I , myself used 4 Ram modules, two 2GB modules and two 4 GB modules, simultaneously without issues for a long time.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
As long as it doesn't work on Own mobo then its Broken :D

On a serious note try BIOS update as Cilus suggested.

OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
I think the RAM is faulty get it replaced.

Did you try to put it in the nominated slot? The mobo manual will indicate into which slot the first(or the only) RAM stick must go.

1. check whether they aree of same ;CL' rating or not. i.e. CL8 & CL9 can't work together.
2. Put your 2x @GB modules in A1 & B1 slot. And then Put that 4GB module into A2 slot.
3. Reset BIOS.

Guys he cant even get it started with the 2 GB chips removed and only 4 GB placed in Slot. So I don't think its because of CL issue and he also has tried putting it in all the 4 slots one by one and still fails.

So I think the RAM is dead.

If the RAM were dead, it must not have worked when tested with others' mobos. Hence it is either incompatible by some or the other reason - like the no. of memory chips, configuration - single sided/double sided, how much is each chip's memory*, or the loose possibility that the sequence of actions leading to inserting the RAM have not necessarily been in order.

*Details about these are usually published in the mobo manual/ website.

Better update the Motherboard BIOS as it might not support some newer versions of Ram which are released after the BIOS you're currently having. BIOS update might update compatibility with the newer rams. 785G is a relatively older chipset and a BIOS update might work.

the configuration isn't right didn't you get it for 4 ram slot you cant use 2x2 gb modules and one 4gb modules either only 4gb modules or 2 gb modules not both together

There is nothing like that you can only use same sized Ram modules while using multiple modules. Also read it carefully, he tried with only the 4 GB ram but still didn't work out for him
I , myself used 4 Ram modules, two 2GB modules and two 4 GB modules, simultaneously without issues for a long time.

As long as it doesn't work on Own mobo then its Broken :D

On a serious note try BIOS update as Cilus suggested.

Replace it.

Thanks for your reply guys, Hear is the UN-understandable thing, that worked for me:

I took the same MHz frequency 4 GB ram of different company (Hyundai Electronics) from my friend mobo and installed into my mobo with 2x2 gb rams and the result is .... i could hear the post beep sound and the mobo detected 8 GB DDR 3 RAM.
Now, for testing purpose, I installed the initial transcend 4GB ram to my friends MOBO and it worked (as predicted). So at last I exchanged my transcend 4 GB RAM with my friends 4 GB RAM.

But, I am unable to understand, why this 4 GB transcend RAM was not running in my mobo and it run on my friends mobo ?? and also, after installing additionally 4GB RAM (total 8 GB) my Windows XP performance doesn't improved and it detects only 3.25 GB RAM (i.e 4 GB)..still my PC is too slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom