Dark Souls PC

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Whats your favorite sword?

Black Knight Sword and later Zweihander +14. Balder Side Sword is pretty good because of the reach and moveset too but it's a very rare drop.

But mainly played game with Demon Spear, Silver Knight Spear, Great Club and Black Knight Great Axe. Great Scythe `+14 too,

I am on Strength build.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I started playing Prepare To Die edition recently.

Made the mistake of creating a Knight character, which I didn't know is the slowest starting character. But I worked out the move speed by unequipping some armor items and scaling endurance.

What I can't seem to get working however is the parry and reposte. I always seem to get the timing wrong and parry before the attack. Is there any effective method to parry correctly all the time?

Another problem is that kicking and the lunge attack are too difficult to pull off (I am using controller). Is there any easier way to pull this off?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
For new players, people say Warrior or Wanderer. Both have relatively lighter armor and move pretty fast. Other good classes are Thieves who start with the master key and have highest critical damage but also very low HP, and the Pyromancer who starts with a useful fireball sorcery.

However, I am still playing Knight since I have gone pretty far with it and don't want to start over with a new class yet. After scaling endurance, I am able to move much faster than before and I am able to do a medium speed roll, which is good enough for now.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
DS1, the lightning +10 Utchigatana is a very capable weapon, doesnt have any scaling but raw damage + lightning damage + bleed stacks..
very easy to acquire as well

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Where can I find it? I am currently in Undead burg, having returned after ringing the first Bell of Awakening and I am currently using the Drake sword.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Uchigatana - Dark Souls Wik

If you are starting out, drakesword is the first "good" weapon you should get.. just get 30 arrows and a bow and shoot the dragon's tail till it drops

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Update: Ok, I read a bit about it and I see that it's either dropped by the Undead merchant in Undead Burg or some merchant in Blighttown. What is the best way to get it? Do I have to kill the Undead Burg merchant?

- - - Updated - - -

Uchigatana - Dark Souls Wik

If you are starting out, drakesword is the first "good" weapon you should get.. just get 30 arrows and a bow and shoot the dragon's tail till it drops

Yes, that's what I did. However, the Drake sword does not scale I think. But I love its long range power attack that attacks multiple enemies at once, at the cost of durability of course.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
no it doesnt scale and dont bother upgrading it with dragon scales, better weapons are incoming..
Also the claymore is a damn good weapon once fully upgraded

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am currently using the Halberd because of the reach of its standard attack. The Claymore only thrusts with its strong attack.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
How the hell do you fight against invaders? The lag is so huge that they basically appear to teleport behind me and back stab.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
How the hell do you fight against invaders? The lag is so huge that they basically appear to teleport behind me and back stab.

hmm its possible they are cheating also, because DS 1 is full of cheaters afaik.. u can try to find the chameleon spell and hide somewhere. basically u transform into a set piece item like a barell and remain still until they move away..
That stuff is hilarious to pull off, more so if you back stab them..
Anyway, for PVP stuff, you want to focus, speed over damage.. if you are getting stunlocked, get high poise.. However, if your equip load is 50%, then you will do fast roll.. fast roll has a lot more invulnerability frames than slow roll, just google it out what I said above, you will find what you are looking for

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
hmm its possible they are cheating also, because DS 1 is full of cheaters afaik.. u can try to find the chameleon spell and hide somewhere. basically u transform into a set piece item like a barell and remain still until they move away..
That stuff is hilarious to pull off, more so if you back stab them..
Anyway, for PVP stuff, you want to focus, speed over damage.. if you are getting stunlocked, get high poise.. However, if your equip load is 50%, then you will do fast roll.. fast roll has a lot more invulnerability frames than slow roll, just google it out what I said above, you will find what you are looking for

Currently I am wearing the Golem armor with Havel's ring. I have a Chaos +4 Zweihander, but its swing speed is so slow that most of the invaders just dodge it before I can land a hit. However, its very effective if I manage to land a hit because it basically smashes the enemy to the ground.

I used to try the Chameleon sorcery but some invaders are pretty stubborn. They will just wait for us to show up and we can't even get away because of all the blocked exits. Also, in some areas using Chameleon is not very effective because experienced invaders know the object of those areas. Only the small tree of the Darkroot Garden is the most effective disguise IMHO.

And speaking of cheaters, I once invaded some guy using the Forest Hunters covenant and his companion killed me with a Black Knight greataxe that inflicted Curse.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
try a Uchigatana, very easy to get, enchant it with lightning and it will do bleed, lightning and physical with little scaling.. its fast too

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yes. I have a Uchigatana that I got after killing the Undead Burg merchant. Haven't upgraded it because its low durability puts me off.

For bleeding I have a +5 Lightning Flamberge. It doesn't have a fast swing speed, but it scales better with strength which goes well with me because my character mains strength.

The Uchigatana scales better with dexterity I think.

Edit: OK I forgot that Lightning reinforcement reduced scaling for both Strength and Dexterity. But still, the Flamberge does about 500 damage for me.
Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Finally completed Dark Souls and OMG what a journey.

That last boss fight really sucks the life out of you. Parrying Gwyn is really tricky, thankfully I had Solaire to back me up.

Killed him with a standard +10 Uchigatana. That bleed effect really helps.

I should have reinforced it with Occult, but had a Strength build character with about 15 Intelligence.

Top Bottom