Dark Souls III

ghouse12311

Ambassador of Buzz
I have no issues. Though how frequently I can play depends on my work.

I would say lets fix a time during the weekend(Saturday, Sunday or both) lets say 9PM or something. If we are free, we can play during that time or else try again next week . What do you say?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Sure, ping me when you see me online on Steam and I will come if I am free.

So do we have to start new characters or do we just coop with what we have?

ghouse12311

Ambassador of Buzz
Sure, ping me when you see me online on Steam and I will come if I am free.

So do we have to start new characters or do we just coop with what we have?

I will ping you when I see you online.

Lets start with new characters, one melee who will be up close up and one sorcerer who will be spamming spells from behind, this would be seriously awesome way to play especially against tough bosses like Friede.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Im not getting time to play nowadays, sorry to keep you waiting Desmond :(
Even I don't get much time, but I play when I can. Was just playing today.
I will ping you when I see you online.

Lets start with new characters, one melee who will be up close up and one sorcerer who will be spamming spells from behind, this would be seriously awesome way to play especially against tough bosses like Friede.
I had started a new knight character a few days ago, now at SL46 or so. I can start a new one if everyone agrees.

Piyush

Lanaya
Started this game yesterday. Dying a lot as expected, I cant time parry perfectly.
Apart from that, I need some help regarding
1. weapon upgrading
2. what to sell/ what to save
3. leveling up guide for Knight class using sword + shield.

Any other general tips are also welcome. Thanks!!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Use a small shield or parrying shield for parrying, it will make it easier to parry because it has a larger window for parrying than medium shields. That means, you can parry the attack much earlier.

General tip to parry is that the enemy's weapon must hit you when your shield is doing the swipe animation.

1. weapon upgrading

There are two ways to upgrade weapons: reinforcement and infusion. Reinforcement adds to your weapon's base stats and rarely, even scaling. Infusion adds certain effects to your weapon while greatly altering scaling.

Reinforcement is a standard way of upgrading and you will probably reinforce at least one weapon to +10 by end game. You can reinforce using titanite, that is titanite shards for +1 to +3, large titanite shards for +4 to +6, titanite chunks for +7 to +9 and a titanite slab for +10. The game is balanced in such a way that you won't find the higher tier titanite until later in the game, therefore you cannot indefinitely reinforce a weapon to make it OP early game. But I suggest that you upgrade your weapons as soon as you have enough titanite in order to have an edge over enemies since enemies get progressively stronger as the game progresses. That being said, note that all enemies have a fixed difficulty and don't level up with you.

Infusion modifies a weapon's properties in a more drastic manner than simple reinforcement. Some infusion such as Fire will add Fire damage to your weapon, but reduces its base damage and removes scaling. This means that the only way to get more damage from a weapon infused with fire is to reinforce it since it's damage no longer scales with your stats. Other forms of infusion will modify its scaling without adding additional forms of damage. Such infusions are heavy, refined and sharp, which make the weapon scale better with strength, both strength and dexterity, and dexterity respectively. Note that infusions don't stack and if you add another infusion, the previous one is lost. There is also a Shriving Stone that will remove the current infusion and make your weapon vanilla.

Note that for Fire, Dark, Lightning, etc damage, the total weapon damage is split between physical and these. Therefore, if you hit an enemy is immune to say Fire with a Fire infused weapon, your weapon will only do physical damage in that case, which will be appx 50% of your Fire weapon's total damage and that is not even counting the enemy's physical resistance. Therefore, it would do good if you know a bit about the resistances and weaknesses of certain enemies.

what to sell/ what to save

Sell whatever you don't need. However, I'd suggest don't sell upgrade materials or embers since getting in game is pretty hard. Though, you can buy upgrade materials from the Old Handmaid later on. As a general rule of thumb, I personally do not sell anything and hoard all weapons I find (I sell duplicates though) just because if I feel like trying out another weapon, I can just select it from my inventory. You can also store unused weapons and items in your storage box when you rest at the bonfire.

leveling up guide for Knight class using sword + shield.
Note that Dark Souls doesn't emphasize farming souls. It might seem feasible for a while to stick to an area and farm souls by killing the same enemies over and over after resting at the bonfire. But the amount of souls required after each level up increases steeply, forcing you to keep progressing through the game in order to get more souls. That being said, most risk free way to get more souls is to coop and assist other players. If you die as a phantom in the world of the host who you are helping, you simply respawn in your own world and get to keep all the souls that you collected while you were helping the host through the area or helping them defeat a boss.

Also note that character classes don't really mean much in Dark Souls since by late game, you can mold your character into any build that you want. However, starting class does set a good foundation for specific builds. Knight starts with the highest Vitality, making it suitable for builds requiring heavy weapons and/or armor. I personally like using the Claymore because it's primary attack has a wide sweeping arc and its strong attack is a thrust, thus making it a pretty versatile weapon. For shield, you can get the Grass Crest Shield from the Crufixion woods later on, it gives you faster stamina regen, but blocks around 80% physical damage only. However, AFAIK, the Knight's starting shield is pretty good as well since it blocks 100% physical damage.

For levelling up, generally try to put points into stats that will scale the damage of your weapon more. For example, the Claymore scales with a C in Strength and D in Dexterity, that means that putting points into Strength will make the damage scale higher than putting points into Dexterity (though both are still feasible). Stat scaling of a weapon can go from E (lowest) to S (highest). For some weapons, reinforcement can also increase stat scaling every few levels.

If perform a Raw infusion on your weapon, you don't have to worry about scaling because it will remove all scaling but giving your weapon a flat damage bonus which will increase with reinforcement. Therefore, if you want to make, say, a high Vitality build, you won't have to waste levels putting points into strength or dexterity during the early game and still keep your weapon viable with decent damage.

Piyush

Lanaya
Use a small shield or parrying shield for parrying, it will make it easier to parry because it has a larger window for parrying than medium shields. That means, you can parry the attack much earlier.
For shield, you can get the Grass Crest Shield from the Crufixion woods later on, it gives you faster stamina regen, but blocks around 80% physical damage only. However, AFAIK, the Knight's starting shield is pretty good as well since it blocks 100% physical damage.
How do I know that a particular shield is good for parrying?

Also, about weight limit. Currently I have a limit of 55 units. Is it fine to keep the current weight number just below the limit or the lower it is , the better?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You can increase your equip load by levelling Vitality. Try to keep your equip load below 70% at all times. between 50-70% your character can do a medium roll which is good enough to dodge all attacks. Beyond 70% you will do the so called "fat roll" which is a very slow roll and it's more difficult to dodge attacks with. Below 50% you can do the fast roll which is the fastest roll but you will have to equip very light armor for that which won't have much defense, so fast roll is good only if you are planning on cosplaying as a very agile character and your dodge timings are on point.

General tip on dodging: Try to dodge perpendicular to the direction of an enemy's attack. If an enemy is going to do an overhead attack, then don't roll towards or away from the enemy since the attack will still hit you after your roll animation ends. But if an enemy does a sweeping attack then roll in direction where the attack is coming from. Note that rolling has so called "invincibility frames" which means that if you roll at the right time you won't take any damage, even if you roll into an enemy's attack. You can even roll into spells and arrows and completely avoid taking damage.

As for shields suitable for parrying, the shields that have a dome like protrusion on them generally make parrying easier. If you can make it to the undead settlement, you can get a "Small Leather Shield" for free that that does that and is generally the only parrying shield that you will need. However, I think that parrying is easiest with a Buckler but its literally the smallest shield as well and has extremely poor defense. Therefore, a Buckler can only be used for parrying and nothing else. You can differentiate such shields from regular shields by observing their sweeping animation. Shields best suited for parrying have an upward sweeping animation.

However, how you parry is generally a matter of preference. small shields have a larger parry window, while medium shields have smaller windows. The Caestus (fist weapon) has the smallest window. So, it really depends on your reaction time and how quickly you prefer to parry.

But parrying is a powerful skill to have if you can nail it down. Some bosses can be parried, making their fight very easy. Hell, the first boss Iudex Gundyr can be parried.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I'd suggest don't concern yourself too much with the technicalities of the game. It will make the game less enjoyable. Focus on your objectives to get the Lord of Cinders on their thrones. Play the game at your own pace and try to enjoy the scenery and soak in the atmosphere.

Piyush

Lanaya
Thanks, will follow your suggestion.
BTW I accidentally deleted my Knight character which had Serpent ring (free version). And now Im not able to jump over that roof again with new char. Should I stop trying to get it? Will it make much difference?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Thanks, will follow your suggestion.
BTW I accidentally deleted my Knight character which had Serpent ring (free version). And now Im not able to jump over that roof again with new char. Should I stop trying to get it? Will it make much difference?
You can make the jump with any character. Just keep trying. The covetous silver serpent ring gives 10% more souls with every kill, so I'd say its better to get it ASAP.

Piyush

Lanaya
Some more questions

1. What do we get after giving the old lady in firelink shrine some Umbreal Ash she keeps asking for ? I gave her 1 just now and I dont think I got anything in return.
2. I burned the undead bones (I guess? ) in bonefire and it is now level 2. What changes when bonefire lvls up?
3. I got my first transporter kiln (if thats what its called) and I have 6 options. To me, Hallower sword and that life leech ring seemed good. What should I craft ( I'm a Sword+ Shield Warrior)
4. How to defeat that knight in undead tower basement (the one who is accessible when we go down from lift) ?

PS: I still couldnt jump over the roof to get the serpent ring.
PPS: I also lost 11k souls in one go trying to save for tower key :(

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
1. What do we get after giving the old lady in firelink shrine some Umbreal Ash she keeps asking for ? I gave her 1 just now and I dont think I got anything in return.
It unlocks new items for sale.

2. I burned the undead bones (I guess? ) in bonefire and it is now level 2. What changes when bonefire lvls up?
Your Estus flask heals more amount of HP per usage.

3. I got my first transporter kiln (if thats what its called) and I have 6 options. To me, Hallower sword and that life leech ring seemed good. What should I craft ( I'm a Sword+ Shield Warrior)
Feel free to transpose whatever you need, but I'd suggest saving the souls and comparing what all of them give before taking such a decision. Note that soul transformed weapons require Titanite scales to upgrade instead of normal titanite.

4. How to defeat that knight in undead tower basement (the one who is accessible when we go down from lift) ?
Just fight lol. If he is still too hard, you can cheese him by aggro-ing him and then running back to the lift. After a while he will fall off the elevator shaft and die and you will get the red eye orb.

PS: I still couldnt jump over the roof to get the serpent ring.
Keep trying, its not impossible.

PPS: I also lost 11k souls in one go trying to save for tower key :(
I once lost 90000 souls. 11k is nothing. But if you are too worried about losing souls, you can equip a ring of sacrifice. If you die while its equipped, you won't lose anything, but using it for trivial reasons is a waste. It's more feasible to use if you lost a huge number of souls and are on the way to reclaim them.

Top Bottom