Create your own free forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
ok that CPU and RAM usage is not a problem but will it suffice if all members have avatars and all ?
btw can u please suggest some good ADFREE Free Host ?

Thank you once again
Even 100 MB is sufficient for a simple forum. But if you have traffic, you may need more bandwidth.

Free hosting -> prefer a post to host service..because free hosting for a forum is never recommended.

PM me if you want a free hosting.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
yeah but which one to choose from them ?
Most of them need some forum posts or something else..
you suggest me
host
with
1 GB space and 10gb+ bandwith, Reliable,Fast,

Thanks

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^
you can choose anything. see which thread has a lot of views and posts. if you really want a good host just take some time and go through a few of those threads to know how members are responding...

btw I can't recommend a particular host as I have not used a free one. maybe if others who have used they can recommend a particular one ;)

p.s. forget those 'reliable' 'fast' etc.. those things come only with good paid hosting :D

from my experience, I can confidently say that even a lot of paid hosts are not reliable and fast :lol:

_

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Thanks for your help ..I have PM'ed to ravi_9793 and will see what his hosting plans are and then decide accordingly and if i m not satisfied i will surely go through the Threads

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
300 MB is way more than enough, but maybe CPU and RAM usage cause the trouble as these forum packages are very resource intensive.
they don't eat much RAM i think. PHPBB 3.0.1 - I am using it @ *www.itech7.com

on my small server P3 box with 384 MB RAM and I don't see much RAM usage may be because it has no traffic :?

But it is very fast cus I double compress it first by PHPBB's native Gzip compression and then lighty's compress module and cache the double compressed content.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^
you are using lighty so no problem of RAM..

but all host's use apache and forums will eat up a lot of memory and cpu if the number of simultaneous users are more... and caching an empty/new forum will not give a big performance gain :D over the already fast empty/less activity forum..

but its just a new forum so no issues will arise..

_

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
^^^
you are using lighty so no problem of RAM..

but all host's use apache and forums will eat up a lot of memory and cpu if the number of simultaneous users are more... and caching an empty/new forum will not give a big performance gain :D over the already fast empty/less activity forum..

but its just a new forum so no issues will arise..

_
yeah lighty is superfast. I have tried apache too which I had previously before I came to know about lighty. After switching to lighty there was a great increase in performance. :)

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
lighty's full use can be know only when you have very high traffic ;)

one of my VPS is running lighty and another one is apache... lighty one is 26MB RAM usage in idle while apache uses constantly around 100MB even with a few sites lesser than the lighttpd VPS.

I would love to use all my sites in a single vps itself but lighty cant clearly handle many URL rewrites that is needed for a lot of web apps :( for that apache is needed..

_

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
lighty's full use can be know only when you have very high traffic ;)

one of my VPS is running lighty and another one is apache... lighty one is 26MB RAM usage in idle while apache uses constantly around 100MB even with a few sites lesser than the lighttpd VPS.

I would love to use all my sites in a single vps itself but lighty cant clearly handle many URL rewrites that is needed for a lot of web apps :( for that apache is needed..

_
I got a tweak for Drupal from GSearch which makes clean urls happen in Drupal without any URL rewrites!!!

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
yeah for drupal and wordpress no problem.. even lxadmin control panel provides these options (for configuring drupal and WP rewrites) all my blogs are in lighttpd vps only and wp permalinks work well with this method

but still they are done using the 404 error handlers.. not a clean url rewrite like in apache :D

_

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
yeah for drupal and wordpress no problem.. even lxadmin control panel provides these options (for configuring drupal and WP rewrites) all my blogs are in lighttpd vps only and wp permalinks work well with this method

but still they are done using the 404 error handlers.. not a clean url rewrite like in apache :D

_
who cares about how it is done ? :D We are concerned only about the result i.e. clean-urls. :D

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
ok So i had installed phpbb3 forum sucessfully and also activated Intermediate PHP on my x10hosting account. Today , i was trying to install some mods and i didnt backup anything and messed up with the files.
Before doing this i had saved the BACKUP from ACP > Maintainence .
Now i am deleting /forum/ directory again and then i will install phpbb3 all over again.

What i want to ask is that if i restore forum with that .txt file, will all the posts remain as well as the registered users ? or all members have to register again ??

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Ok now that phpbb3 problem is solved and everything is restored.

Please someone tell me how to install this mod *startrekguide.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1979&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I did as said and edited all the .php files as told and replaced them with original. After doing this when i try logging in ACP, it says Header limit something message..
Please tell me is there any tool which will automatically install mods with us needing to modify the files ?

or please tell me step by step OR I might not have edited the php files properly.Can Someone please edit the files properly and upload it to rapidshare.

Thank You

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^^
this problem would have never come up if you were using SMF forum.. easy mods (plugins) and themes installation - just upload and install... all from the admin control panel itself ;)

sorry I would like to help, but cant, as I have never used phpbb3 for a significant amount of time :(

_

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
ok thanks for your effort, and i have solved that problem too with the help of Rohan_Shenoy.....

i have another problem now ,i cant install some mods and i am waiting for rohan_shenoy's reply

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
ok thanks for your effort, and i have solved that problem too with the help of Rohan_Shenoy.....

i have another problem now ,i cant install some mods and i am waiting for rohan_shenoy's reply
M already tryin to solve it. I think I will do a clean reinstall.

Hi Conqueror,
I cud solve that "headers already sent ..." problem.

But sorry to tell you that I could not install the mods. I searched a lot but I cud not find any decent instructions either on the forums or the downloaded files for installing those mods. Also, I have never used phpBB3. I was in a terrible confusion so as to where to upload those files :(

I will suggest you that since your board has very few posts now, migrate to MyBB or SMF. I have using them and never had any such trouble. Installing a mod in them has a very neat instruction file. Sorry cudn't help you
;)

Last edited:

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
hey after downloading the mods of which links i have given simply open the .XML source file in ur web browser. It has instructions on how to do it such as which lines to replace in which .php files and edit etc. etc
the thing is Phpbb3 has lots and lots and lots of themes,mods which arent available in my bb or smf

and i dont think that headers problem is solved.When i try to log in to ACP it tells i dont have permissions
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/acp/common.php:1)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom