i downloaded the latest cpu-z
i have an amd athlon 64 3500+ (venice)939 pin
but cpu-z says its a claw hammer
have i been fooled by my vendor?? :cry:
i have msi rs 482 Mobo but cpu-z says its a rs 480
what is the problem

Kniwor

Learner
What is part number on processor box, type it here.

How much L2 cache does it show...

was the Box packed... when u got it..

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
ssk429 said:
i downloaded the latest cpu-z
i have an amd athlon 64 3500+ (venice)939 pin
but cpu-z says its a claw hammer
have i been fooled by my vendor?? :cry:
i have msi rs 482 Mobo but cpu-z says its a rs 480
what is the problem

Just place the screenshot of the CPUZ .. So that all can see what is it showing!

Note: Press F5 in CPUZ to get the image.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Kniwor said:
What is part number on processor box, type it here.

How much L2 cache does it show...

was the Box packed... when u got it..

it is the clawhammer i will go talk to the dealer
i got a boxed pack
i checked amd.com it is a clawhammer
box number is ADA3500 AS BOX
L2 = 512 Kb

Kniwor

Learner
AS is a clawhammer, u got the wrong processor, get it replaced or something..

that is the worst core u could have got

eddie

El mooooo
I don't wanna rant or something (and don't want to spam either) but this is a serious problem with AMD. Buying an AMD processor for a n00b is nightmare. You need to look for a thousand things to buy a bloody damn processor. Recently a dealer in Nehru Place stole my processor (long story) and I had to buy a new processor/mobo combo. I so wanted to buy an AMD but the whole research that goes into buying...it just scared me and I didn't have time either. Result? I chickened out and bought an Intel. At least it sells on just the GHz or at the max L2 cache. Not all the core and box code mumbo jumbo. AMD seriously needs to get their act together on this front.

Kniwor

Learner
eddie said:
I don't wanna rant or something (and don't want to spam either) but this is a serious problem with AMD. Buying an AMD processor for a n00b is nightmare. You need to look for a thousand things to buy a bloody damn processor. Recently a dealer in Nehru Place stole my processor (long story) and I had to buy a new processor/mobo combo. I so wanted to buy an AMD but the whole research that goes into buying...it just scared me and I didn't have time either. Result? I chickened out and bought an Intel. At least it sells on just the GHz or at the max L2 cache. Not all the core and box code mumbo jumbo. AMD seriously needs to get their act together on this front.

well then if u dont know let me tell u that INTEL procy´s also have different cores with different performance... atleast AMD is kind enough to rate the processor according to performance...

his 3500+ clawhammer will perform the same as 3500+ venice or 3500+ winchester....

but look at intel .. when u are getting a 3.06 Ghz processor and if u dont know which core it is... u might end up getting a poor performing processor, also there is a proce difference... if u get a northwood.. u are screwed.. a 3.0Ghz nothwood will not even perform as a 3.0Ghz prescott.... and u will just be happy that u got a 3.0Ghz... his 3500+ will atleast perform the same, only he might not be able to overclock...

so basically the thing is that intel consumers are unaware of the thing and are happy with 3.XX Ghz... and we AMD enthusiats dont care about what core intel is...

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Kniwor said:
AS is a clawhammer, u got the wrong processor, get it replaced or something..

that is the worst core u could have got
dude why do u say that the clawhammer is the wrong proceessor
u wrote that venice performs the same as clawhammer
could u please clear this?
and about replacing my processor i did talk to my vendor & ended up having a big fight with him cuz he fooled me with the cores
now i dont see my processor gettin changed after this incident
now that i have been a frequent at the forum i have come to know so much and have become an amd fan
but what about other people who buy amd and dont know abt these cores many of them must be fooled by vendors like these

eddie

El mooooo
Kniwor said:
but look at intel .. when u are getting a 3.06 Ghz processor and if u dont know which core it is... u might end up getting a poor performing processor
Ermm...the core is written right on the box. You don't have decypher it using some kind of codes and all.

so basically the thing is that intel consumers are unaware of the thing and are happy with 3.XX Ghz... and we AMD enthusiats dont care about what core intel is...
Look at your own words. Intel "consumers" and AMD "enthusiasts". That is exactly the situation. In case of AMD, you need to be an enthusiast (read geek) just to buy a bloody damn processor. Just write the cores and everything on the box. How will that hurt AMD? I am not an advocate of Intel and infact would want to buy an AMD but they really need to make the buying procedure simpler.

Kniwor

Learner
@ssk429
ur clawhammer will give EXACTLY THE SAME PERFORMANCE AS ANY OTHER 3500+, BE IT ANY CORE
now i said that the worst u can get because a 3500+ is on a 130nm process and requires more power, thereby more heat, ur clawhammer will not have that much overclocking ability as a venice core, ur clawhammer will not support SSE3 instruction set... that´s all there is to it...
but u have to understand that when AMD sells u a 3500+ it sells u a processor matching that performance... as long as the tems are within limit, it has not promised u a processor cooler than this or that, it has not sold u a processor with so-so overclocking ability, so basically ut vendor has not CHEATED u unless he told u it was a venice.......
anyhow if u dont plan on overclocking, this will not make a bit of difference..... it might not be as cool as a venice would have been, but then, it will work very very well at whatever temperature it will unless u are unlucky and got a defected clawhammer........

@eddie
there is one thing i agree to.. most people purchasing an AMD are more aware and so get AMD.... (i said most, so all the intel users there dont jump on me.... )

but i do not agree that AMD should write the cores on the BOX, INTEL do have to write the cores because they do make a performance difference, and they will even have to maintain a price difference...... otherwise it will be cheating on their part..
BUT when AMD sells a processor marked Athlon XXXX+ it gives that performance no matter what core or socket it is, now if the venice core overclocks better, AMD never promised the customer that... it said XXXX+ performance and that it is..!!!!!!!

anyhow let´s try and not get into an arguement, who cares what you get as long as the competition is healthy and we get good processors at good prices....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom