CPU remains overheated...........tried many options!!!!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
P5B- dlx with C2D 1.86 running with stock intel fan, 400 watts Zebronics PSU.

Got a new comp a month back, could not over clock my due to rising temp. My case is frontech royal, 2 front fan, 2 rear fan, 1 side fan.*www.frontechonline.com/admin/image/cabinets/1556.jpg

I today opened the mobo & saw that the heat sink was not fitted properly (nehru place guys suck) I further saw that the mobo is having 4 mm sponge laid between the case & mobo , I called up the guy who fitted all my comp , he said that the mobo was getting "short' so he used it for insulation, & it wont harm it any way.

But I guess it will not let the heat transfer on the other side plus if for some reason the mobo is "shorting" with case I better get that replaced, its a month old mobo & it should not have such problem.

I fitted 2 front fans & 1 rear fan & one in PSU but even then my temp are quite high. IN BIOS it show that fans are not fitted where as I have at least 1 fan connected on mobo at Ch_fan2 on P5B-dlx mobo, (2 are connected from the power supply)how do enable that in BIOS?

I changed the comp location to a different room right next to window but that did not help much, it was thenlowered to 48°, the ambient temp of the room is 21° yet the cpu is ranging from 52°-56° on ideal, if I use it heavily then it goes 60-67°, I event took the cabinet side covers to let the air in from all sides, that also did not get my temp below 48°.

I am also having warning every 2 mins, of Vcore voltage from Asus PC probe II that the Vcore voltage is high, its ranging in 1.14v-1.30V, normally it remains 1.18v,I get warning only when it goes above 1.28v & below 1.16v

Is this a false warning bcoz the in the BIOS the Vcore is set to auto & the mobo is changing it automatically?
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/1869/0006iz7.th.jpg

I have read the overheating thread & did not get any answers to my problem.

What is causing the high temp in my case?
What can I now do to lower my CPU temp ideal 45°?
Where can I get in delhi artic silver 5?,

I got some local thermal paste for Rs 20/- but hesitate to apply that it might be conductive to electric current.

Need some direction to get this under control as in delhi summers it will fry at 40-45° ambient temp.

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
yea... get arctic silver 5... in mumbai it costs abt 580 for a small tube....
the normal cheap paste isnt too good...

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
any contact no of a dealer which can courier? Quite strange that delhi is hotter than mumbai yet no one has AS5 here in delhi.

"Go into Probe 2 and change the alert threshold to something more than 10%. The VCore voltage constantly moves between 1.08v to 1.34v on all C2D CPUs when settings are kept on Auto. This is perfectly normal."

moved the setting to 20% & red warning gone.

Last edited:

yogi_7272

Broken In
yup apply arctic silver 5 or even arctic ceramique will do ..

keep those 2 front and 1 side fan as intake fans .. and 2 rear fans in the back as outlet ..
and properly fit ur heatsink on cpu .. and see what happens ..:)

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
yogi_7272 said:
keep those 2 front and 1 side fan as intake fans .. and 2 rear fans in the back as outlet ..
and properly fit ur heatsink on cpu .. and see what happens ..:)

Thats exactly how I have the fans fitted but no artic silver here in delhi.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Make sure u disable "Automatic QFan Control" in the bios .. or any target temp that u might have set ...

Also , the voltage can fluctuate when set to auto .. for a CPU running at stock .. i'd recommend u to try some permanent voltage between 1.2 and 1.25 ... u don't need anything more for a C2D at stock .. i'm running mine oc'ed at 3.02 GHz with only 1.25V :D ..

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I have not set any target temp & Qfan is disabled & not installed, voltage problem is solved.
I will try removing the sponge & take the mobo out & use barebone PC in open air keeping it on a non conductive surface &then monitor the temp.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
ranjan dude first of all get rid of that punk A$$ Zebronics PSU. & get a better one.
i cant believe it, you bought a Zebronics PSU for a ASUS P5B Dlx Wifi:x:x:x

& if you got any Overclocking plans, dont do it with the Zebronics.:)

& i've a doubt, if the m/b is shorting, then is it a problem with m/b or PSU+earthing or cabinet+PSU+earthing???

premsharma

In the zone
First of all delhi or North India for that matter is shiiit. Even if they have arctic silver, they will mix it with something & sell you the local thermal paint at cost of original.

Motherboard shorting with cabinet?? That was something 5 years back. Now that sheet is not required to be placed. Your outdated assembler will screw ur system. Earthing provisions have now been built in the motherboards [mounting holes].

Hope that your mobo is not mounted directly instead it uses brass mounting studs underneath mobo. Every cabinet including Zebronics have that provisions. You can have a look at Antec Super Lanboy [aluminium cabinet], Al is better in dissipating heat.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
It seems that the guy who assembled my comp has screwed up in a big way, I remember that there were special screws with the mobo but the board is not having any of those screws at all, instead he used local screw all different sizes.
& i've a doubt, if the m/b is shorting, then is it a problem with m/b or PSU+earthing or cabinet+PSU+earthing???
Tomorrow I am going to disassemble it & mount it my self & check the earthing problem too.

I could not find any good power supply here in nehru place, here we discuss coolermaster / powersafe etc but these things are not easily available in shops.

I have no plans of overclocking till I get this temp under control.

next day updated

I opened the mobo & got to know some shocking facts, before that see the images which I want to ensure that heat sink was seated fine.
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/5025/heatsinkmountedwl9.th.jpg

The rear side mounted confirms the same
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/3900/heatsinkrq2.th.jpg

Then I checked further & found that the center is pushed down either due to Heatsink weight or design defect. Is that normal happening????
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/3923/mobotiltedtd4.th.jpg

This definitely will short with the body when its mounted, bcoz the center part is dugged 3-4mm deeper

I then opened the heatsink to check the thermal paste, hope this is fine too.
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/4774/thermalpastenl3.th.jpg

Then I gave a serious thought & remember that the mobo or the cabinet had some insulated mounts which were suppose to be fitted below the mobo & they were missing & due to that the mobo was tilted right side 6 mm to one side , bcoz the back (left) panel was lifted to fit within the USB slots, in that case its bound to touch the metal body & create shot circuit .................................this duffer who fitted my comp insulated it with 5mm sponge & that was trapping the heat badly.

I made a local jugad (since its sunday) with double sided tape & made a insulated mount which can lift the mobo so it does not touch the body & removed that sponge & booted in bios to watch the hardware temp.

I did that & Voila..................................!!!!!!! ............I booted successfully for the 1st time with 43° ideal temp & now running at overclocked 2.3Ghz.with 50° ideal temp.
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/5052/0007mh6.th.jpg

Now tomorrow 1st thing I go & kick the guys ass who did that blunder with the fitting & get my insulated 6mm mounts to get the board running as it should have been from the 1st day.

ALL HEATING PROBLEMS BE SOLVED THEN.

Thanks guys for helping out it was a real nightmare for me last few days sorting this temp issue.

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i'm glad your problem's solved:)

btw these are the BRASS Mounts which were provided with Zebronics AntiBiotic cabinet:)
*img245.imageshack.us/img245/4702/dsc04381anp1.th.jpg -- *img412.imageshack.us/img412/121/dsc04380aah5.th.jpg

Zebronics povides lots of Screws, these Brass Mounts...

So ask your Assembler for those.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Yes these were there in a packet which he should have used to mount the mobo, but he did not .....................I am going to fire him up tomorrow 1st thing in the morning.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Wow! Great troubleshooting dude!! If you hadn't detected this, your mobo and proccy would have been fried in a month for sure. Blast that guy and get something for compensation, if not, don't think twice to thrash him :D :D

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Sure it would have fried as the summer approaches here in delhi the ambient temp in the room goes 38-40°, in that case it would start giving me problem....................gud that I got this sorted out.
Tomorrow I will buy some extra mounts & fit that in the cabinet.

premsharma

In the zone
ranjan2001 said:
Sure it would have fried as the summer approaches here in delhi the ambient temp in the room goes 38-40°, in that case it would start giving me problem....................gud that I got this sorted out.
Tomorrow I will buy some extra mounts & fit that in the cabinet.

Get those brass studs out of his G and teach him how to install and then show him on your motherboard [arround the mounting holes] the provision in circuit itself for earthing. If you mount all the studs & screws, you don't need any two side tape etc.

So many studs & screws come with Zebronics cabinets. Ask him to explain, why did he put that sponge sheet. It is strange that such ignorant people get into this business of assembling. This happens only in Delhi.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I finally got the original screws directly from the company (frontech)as this bugger had lost it & kept on saying that these screw do not work with ur mobo.

I then fitted the mobo yesterday & now its 6mm away from the cabinet.
My heat problem is partly solved but I am still running high by 8-10° @ 62° overclocked at 450 FSB

What else could be wrong as I am told that the ideal temp even overclocked should be within 50-52°.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@s18000rpm
Zebronics 400W PSU is not that bad. Its working fine for me. This sites reccomends at least a 500 to 550W one for my PC but Zeb 400W is fine at even full load.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
After trying many options, I called up intel/asus & they both have asked to check the respective cpu/mobo to ensure that they are fine , if not then they will replace, but this will take at least 4 days for them to revert back.

Intel has asked me to get the cpu to check on another intel board & asus will self test on its testing bench.

hope they can find some fault & replace the faulty unit.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
last few days update is that the Vendor Comnet vision tell me that I need to have a better power supply since 7600GT needs that & they say that CPU heating is due to low wattage of my so called Zebronics 400 watt smps. So before taking up the matter with Intel /asus they want to testthis with the following.

They have suggested me the following.
*www.antec.com/images/400/TX1050B_inside.jpg
Antec Performance TX 1088B
*www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=61050#

& the following power supply to choose from.
Earth watts 500
*www.antec.com/images/160/earthwatts_q.jpg
*www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=27500#

or
Neo HE 500 watt
*www.antec.com/images/160/NeoHe_q_sli.jpg
*www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=28500

What do u guys think of this combination, will it solve my cpu heating problem?
Is it really due to low watts of my SMPS that cpu gets heated up?

Which one should I buy for my system (config is in my signature)

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Hi sam, they are arranging thsi at their own cost , if this solves he problem only then I will buy it, & yes its quite overpriced.

Last few days I tried searching for powersafe, but no one knows about this brand in Nehru place. I dont know if some store in mumbai can ship it to me or not, NP is a useless market (biggest computer market they claim) & u dont get what u want, mostly they want u to buy what they want to sell.
Even Zebronics have some high end SMPS, but again the same story ..........u dont get what u want in nehru place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom