CPU remains overheated...........tried many options!!!!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ranjan2001 said:
Sam, I tried OC & now running 450FSB stable with Vcore set manully to 1.25V, & surprisingly the temp are now same as u reported around 56°C ideal & on load test with TAT reaches 79-81°, so I guess I can leave my worry for a while& get back to OC further.

2 problems I am facing with peace cabinet is that the power down switch is working strangely when I shut down via start menu the comp shuts down but restart again, I check the switches 3 times that the power is plugged in power & reset is plugged in reset......................am I doing something wrong?

The big side fan is quite noisy in my case when it starts its sound can be heard even outside the room is that normal?

oh man I am confused on which thread shall I reply.....??? we will continue our OC Journey on our Official OC threar club..:D

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41809&page=5

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Sam, we discuss heating here & OC we discuss there.

Today Intel provided the instruction to the vendor & he cleaned up the heat sink & applied Intel thermal grease, that partly solved the problem & now NON-OCed CPU ideal temp is around 40-42°C & on 100% load using TAT it goes 60-62°C, but in my case this happens with big side fan running including all 4 fans too.

My present room temp is 27-29°C
----------------------------------------
Update
Seeing your posted shots earlier now I have the same temp & OC settings, so I think we have solved the problem of heat.

I Oced to 472 & my ideal is 55°C & on 100% TAT load it reaches 80°C, same as you had, Orthos load test does not make the temp go that high, it remains 66-71° only.

Great ................ for the 1st time I am seeing 42° on this board non OC..............I am partly releived.
-----------------------------------------
screens updated
*img225.imageshack.us/img225/5262/stable472ocji8.th.jpg

Last edited:

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ranjan2001 said:
Sam, we discuss heating here & OC we discuss there.

Today Intel provided the instruction to the vendor & he cleaned up the heat sink & applied Intel thermal grease, that partly solved the problem & now NON-OCed CPU ideal temp is around 40-42°C & on 100% load using TAT it goes 60-62°C, but in my case this happens with big side fan running including all 4 fans too.

My present room temp is 27-29°C
----------------------------------------
Update
Seeing your posted shots earlier now I have the same temp & OC settings, so I think we have solved the problem of heat.

I Oced to 472 & my ideal is 55°C & on 100% TAT load it reaches 80°C, same as you had, Orthos load test does not make the temp go that high, it remains 66-71° only.

Great ................ for the 1st time I am seeing 42° on this board non OC..............I am partly releived.
-----------------------------------------
screens updated
*img225.imageshack.us/img225/5262/stable472ocji8.th.jpg

FINALLY FINALLY and FINALLY we were able to solve the problem. :)
I could'nt have been more happy, we were on this OCing right from the begining. I knew this could'nt have been 'concave/convex' problem. I guess then it was only heatsink and thremal issue.
Now as I said try to enjoy some heavy multitasking, gaming, audio encoading. Just to have a real feel try running multiple applications with encoading 10,15 audio files in to MP3 along with a Divx conversion simultaniously running Quake IV. You would feel the power of C2D OCed...............Enjoy buddy good to see you are finally there....

My hunt for cooling sloution continues.......then I will try stretching my C2D to 3.6 :D, an 100% Ocing......:)

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
sam9s said:
My hunt for cooling sloution continues.......then I will try stretching my C2D to 3.6 :D, an 100% Ocing......:)

Did you not get the cooler master water cooler in bangalore, contact details were posted in another thread.

Last 3-4 days even delhi is hotter its now 30°C ambient & it will upswing for next 2-3 months.

I mailed to www.sidewindercomputers.com & Got a reply that they will ship to India the cooling fan solution. If you are intrested & back in delhi then I may order 2 of them so we save shipping at least.

Though I have to decide which one I buy so it can fit well in the peace cabby.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ranjan2001 said:
Did you not get the cooler master water cooler in bangalore, contact details were posted in another thread.

Last 3-4 days even delhi is hotter its now 30°C ambient & it will upswing for next 2-3 months.

I mailed to www.sidewindercomputers.com & Got a reply that they will ship to India the cooling fan solution. If you are intrested & back in delhi then I may order 2 of them so we save shipping at least.

Though I have to decide which one I buy so it can fit well in the peace cabby.

Friend I took advice from few of my other high OCing enthuastics, they said targeting 3.6 comes in to serious and heavy OCing, my temp will shoot like insane once I cross 3.5. So they suggested to invest in a professional cooling solution and that aqua mini was not in their list. They say if you do finally decide to use water cooling, you should target atleast a 10-15 C drop. I am not sure if aqua mini would succeed in that and so I am a bit reluctant to invest in that.
Which cooling solution are you trying to import. Send me the details I will again take their advide, it would benifit you as well, and if it seems ok, we can order two.....send the link n details......

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I am thinking
Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B 6 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
or
Scythe INFINITY 5-Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
or
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

With AS5 applied & these coolers in peace cabby 8-10° it should go lower, so in peak summer we can hover around 50-55 OCed.

Last edited:

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ranjan2001 said:
I am thinking
Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B 6 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
or
Scythe INFINITY 5-Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
or
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

With AS5 applied & these coolers in peace cabby 8-10° it should go lower, so in peak summer we can hover around 50-55 OCed.

mmmm this looks good I have let them know about these products, lets see what they have to say.....BTW how are you suppose to get it import, what about duties an all. Shipping charges, my gutt feeling is that when you import you end up paying much more with unnecessary hassels......

Its current price shows as ~38USD comes up to ~1710 Rs which is perfectly acceptable, but after duties n xyz charges the price usually shoots 5,6 times. What do you have to say.....

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
21% is the duty & US$20 will be the shipping charges.
So 1750 + 21%+levies (Rs 400)=2250
So the total cost would land up around 2250+ 1000 for shipping, not bad at all............surely expensive but hey OC gives you so much extra power too.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ranjan2001 said:
21% is the duty & US$20 will be the shipping charges.
So 1750 + 21%+levies (Rs 400)=2250
So the total cost would land up around 2250+ 1000 for shipping, not bad at all............surely expensive but hey OC gives you so much extra power too.

so this comes to 3250.......r u sure the price is worth.....n we wont get anything under this price bracket, the aqua mini was for 3500 considering its a water cooling kit, it seems pretty inexpensive......leme do some more research once I reach Delhi. When r u planning to get this imported.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
sam9s said:
When r u planning to get this imported.

hahhah......................as soon as ambient touches 38-40 we woud need this for sure else no OCing.

Its been raining & hail stroming in delhi so the temp is around 26-30°C as of now but its just a matter of few days, In april it will surely go up.

I have no experience with water cooler but if its available for 3500/- surely we can look into that too, SMC delhi has one model of cooler master quoted me 5.5K for the same.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ranjan2001 said:
hahhah......................as soon as ambient touches 38-40 we woud need this for sure else no OCing.

Its been raining & hail stroming in delhi so the temp is around 26-30°C as of now but its just a matter of few days, In april it will surely go up.

I have no experience with water cooler but if its available for 3500/- surely we can look into that too, SMC delhi has one model of cooler master quoted me 5.5K for the same.

Ranjan wait I am having a discuession over Ninja with some good OCers, that thing looks promising.....lets see what the conclusion is, if all seems ok I will order one as well.....

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
With Ninja we surely need to remove the big side fan from the peace cabby, since ninja is 15cm in height, & with optional fan another 2cm to add
*www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/026/images/ninja-dime.JPG
*hardware.gamershell.com/images/reviews/scythe_ninja/scythe_install3.jpg

I have not measured the case but base on my estimate that it wont fit with side panel fan.

NINJA review here
*www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22933
*hardware.gamershell.com/articles/scythe_ninja_cpu_cooler_review/

Last edited:

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
mmmm this seems to be a problem, coz as per the discuession Ninja is highly recomended. Which is your cabbie Zebronics PEACE, if yes then even I am done for it coz I have the same. Otherwise I will measure mine the moment I return to Delhi (reaching on 24th). BTW following is the suggestion one of OCing enthus "flip" gave me........

Go with the Ninja or other high end heatpipe cooling: Thermalright Ultra 120 or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, Scythe Infinity, Tuniq T-120. There's a review showing the CM Aquagate Mini R80 about equal in performance to a Thermalright SI-120, which the Ninja and other heatsinks listed above will easily outperform all while remaining simpler to install, costing a little less, making less noise (no water pump) and having fewer possible points of failure.

There's a particular reason I like the Ninja more than the others (the Thermalright Ultra-120 was on my short-short list too) even though some of the others may be able to get temps a couple of degrees cooler: weight distribution. Examine the Ultra-120, and the Tuniq-T120, and even the Scythe Infinity and you'll notice there's a lot of material hanging out a good distance from the mobo. The Ninja weighs close to the same as the Ultra-120 but notice the Ultra-120 has almost *no* material down at the mounting point - just a contact plate. That means almost all of its weight is cantilevered from the mobo. The Ninja has a chunky piece of aluminum sitting over it's contact plate and then only about 24 fins that project out away from the mobo. So it's my estimation that the cantilever force on the Ninja is much less than the others base on these observations.

Add to that the fact that you can actually mount 2 fans to the Ninja in a push-pull config for some additional cooling power.

Add to that the fact that the Ninja is designed from the start for quiet cooling - large fans at low RPMs.

Good cooling boils down to this (no pun intended): how quickly can you distribute the heat away from the source and spread it out over the largest possible cooling area in order for it to be dissipated? Heatpipes have proven to be amazingly effective at quickly transmitting heat from one place to another. Water cooling works basically the same: think of the water tubes as heat pipes. The difference is that a water system will have many times the thermal mass of a heatpipe system and so will take longer to warm up. But once it does warm up its all about how fast that water is moving and how broad of an area it distributes the heat to. The Aquagate Mini R80 doesn't seem to have any more distribution area, probably less judging from appearances, than these high end heatpipe heatsinks.

Check out this review as well with diff cooling solutions compared....

*www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/aquagater80_5

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Hey sam9s!
Why don't you try to find CORSAIR water cooling kit. They do give very good result in terms of bring down the temperature.
See review of one of its product "COOL WATER" here *www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=168
and of "NAUTILUS 500" over here *www.legitreviews.com/article/302/1/

Both their price is around $155-160. *www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1221697

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
John,
The idea of OC is to make best use of stock speed, if one needs to buy a special case or special heatsink fan for $155/- isn't it better to get higher processor?

I use 6300 half the cost of 6600, now if I have to spend that amount to run 6300 at OC speed I rather buy 6600 or 6700.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Well when I bought it in jan 1st week, the difference was nearly half, 6300 was around 8200/- & 6600 was quoted around 14000/- & not easily available.

I discussed this here & decided that since 6300 has good Oc capability its better to save money & invest in gud ram & PSU.

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
ranjan2001

Rightly said but to achieve good OC one must also use good cooling solution. Your selection of NINJA heatsink is good but I thought you guys really are looking for water cooling so I suggested the CORSAIR thingy.
Arctic Cooling's thermal solution are also good and costs less then others, maybe you could look at their products.
I myself am using ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 64 PRO for my X2 3800+ and have overclocked it from 2GHz to 2.6GHz with idle being 38C and load of 45C.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
deathvirus_me said:
E6300 doesn;t cost half of the E6600 .. the price diff. is around 5k's .. and well worth it ..

The diff NOW is 5K but initially it was almost double, which in no case justified the 2 MB extra cache it had as you could OC 6300 to give the same performance as 6600. Heck even now I'd say buying 6300 and OC it makes more sence than to invest those 5K in 6600. Investing the remaining amout in a better RAM or GPU make far better sense.

Rightly said but to achieve good OC one must also use good cooling solution. Your selection of NINJA heatsink is good but I thought you guys really are looking for water cooling so I suggested the CORSAIR thingy.
Arctic Cooling's thermal solution are also good and costs less then others, maybe you could look at their products.
I myself am using ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 64 PRO for my X2 3800+ and have overclocked it from 2GHz to 2.6GHz with idle being 38C and load of 45C.

John thanks for your links I appriciate it, but its seems pretty expensive.
Initially we were looking for water one. How ever OCing enthusiastics say its better to get a high quality air cooling than a low level water one. Ninja is the starting point of high end air cooling with an acceptable price, around 75 USD after all xyz charges. Aqua mini on the other hand is a low level water cooling. Tests shows ninja performs better than mini and so the inclination towards it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom