CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

ithehappy

Human Spambot
re: CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

in some mobos when you oc cpu using auto settings Ram automatically also gets oced - so I asked about that - post a screen shot of cpu-z memory tab and it will make everything clear.

Read the mobo manual carefully to know about how you can save OC profile in Bios - I've no idea about your mobo.

Prime95 hanged during load test coz your cpu was not getting enough juice while steers testing so you can't say it a very stable OC - Set the cpu vcore 1.28V and test again - run OCCT 1 hour cpu test to know if your OC is stable enough or not.

BTW, if you can remount the Hyper 212+ with some good TIM and see if you can get lower temps under load.
Okay will post a CPU-Z screen and read the MoBo manual. Thanks.
Prime95 hanged when VCore was 1.256V, but it didn't when it was 1.2625V. Still I will run the OCCT for an hour to see if it's well stable or not. (it at least ran fine for 15 mins).
When I mounted the Cooler I applied the CM TIM came with it in the box. I was thinking of attaching an extra fan to it and also a top cabby fan. Would that effect the temperature a bit?
Regards.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
Can you list out all the setting you are using for the OC. QPI voltage is the integrated North Bridge voltage. Usually this does not need to be tweaked only if you are facing really unstable OC.

What TG has mentioned is correct, but would suggest you do this.

1. Reset the CMOS.
2. Set you OC only changing the Mx, FSB, BCLK, vCore and RAM timing. Set the RAM voltage to the EPP setting. See if you can get it stable. If not, then do what TG has mentioned.

Ideally just making speed changes and vcore/ram changes you should be able to get it stable to a certain limit.

But you are facing restart issues, so would suggest to run your system at absolute stock -- till we figure out that problem. No point OC'ing on an unstable system -- what ever the reason may be.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Okay will post a CPU-Z screen and read the MoBo manual. Thanks.
Prime95 hanged when VCore was 1.256V, but it didn't when it was 1.2625V. Still I will run the OCCT for an hour to see if it's well stable or not. (it at least ran fine for 15 mins).
When I mounted the Cooler I applied the CM TIM came with it in the box. I was thinking of attaching an extra fan to it and also a top cabby fan. Would that effect the temperature a bit?
Regards.

My mistake - I've not noticed properly that prime95 hanged with 1.256V - Run a OCCT 1 hour test with with 1.2625V as it's seems to be stable.

Attaching two more fans will help in reduce temps for sure.

sukesh1090

Adam young

^^never heard to that tool but if it gets the job done for you then you should use it though don't OC pci-e.

As long as you keep an eye on temps and don't let the cpu temp cross 68C you are good to go.

The vcore value you posted is just perfect - there's nothing wrong with it.

BTW, how much you have OCed your cpu using that app ?

i tried to overclock with that tool but when i overclocked it above 3GHz the computer restarted but some days before i successfully oc proceesor to 3.2 Ghz through BIOS and also checked stability with prime95 and the temp was around 62 at full load and i didn't experienced any problem with the system.i don't know whats the problem with that tool.
BTW that tool shows some maximum point for oc and when i oc it above 3GHz it went above that indicator.i think that could be the problem.i have attached the pic of that tool.thank you

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

the processor is not getting enough voltage i guess. cause you mentioned this a few days earlier.

and i don't have any option in bios for changing vcore.BTW my idle vcore is 1.024 and on load 1.184.

and in your signature its written 2.8Ghz @ 1.3volt. so either way, something or some info is missing & i guess that causing your PC to crash.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yep , when he OCed through bios - bios automatically adjusted the proper vcore for cpu ( though it always a bit too much always from what I've seen ! ) - so his rig was stable.

Most of the E5xxx series cpu can be Oced upto 3 Ghz without raising vcore - so when he oced through that tool upto 3Ghz it was stable but when he oced more than 3 Ghz that tool was not able to provide the enough voltage to the cpu and that's why system got restarted and there's a tiny chance of the app's limitation like he said.

sukesh1090

Adam young

today i again tried to overclock through bios and oc it to 2.94GHz and ran the stability test of prime95.within 4-5 minutes of stress test prime95 showed some fatal error message in core1(some calculations mis match error) and stopped the test and told there is some hardware problem,again after some time i tried the test and this time also system crashed and restarted and windows reported the problem as "blue screen error" after restart.i don't know whats happening?while some days before i successfully oc it to 3.1 and today it failed for 2.9 and the temp is just fine 57C at full load.here is the link for the details about that 3.1GHz oc.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/121070-overclock-list-discussion-thread-4.html
BTW i ran the prime95 test at stock speed of 2.8 for three hours and it ran just fine there was no problem.
please help me guys to find what is the problem.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Uninstall that OC software ( revert all clock speeds to default prior that ) and try ocing again upto 3.1 Ghz manually from bios setting.

Run a OCCT 1 hour cpu test. I've seen prime95 showing me error but OCCt passed 1 hour test and OC seems to be stable enough.

sukesh1090

Adam young

prime95 may show error but when i ran the prime95 test again after ten minutes the system restarted and windows showed blue screen error after restart.is this thing also caused by prime95 only?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

if your system rebooted while running prime95 then it's must be some stability issue!

like I said try OCing through bios - set the speed at 3.2 GHz like before and see what happens.

S_V

In the zone

@ithehappy

Do you really want to burn your CPU? Why 1.43 for QPI ... reduce it two 1.3X something which you find stable.... In my case for 4GHZ , i Use just 1.27xx for stable....

QPI voltage is the voltage for the memory controller that is on the CPU. You want to keep the memory controller voltage and memory voltage with in .5 volts to prevent damage to the CPU/IMC. If you are not OC the RAMS or have not all slots occupied you don't have to use that much Voltage....

Ditch prime and OCCT, move on. Use intel burn test.

Well prime and OCCT both use same algorithm to find stability but not with IBT. IBT is different and of course i agree it will stress more than Prime..
Sometimes prime fails even IBT passes.. So running both Prime and IBT respectively is recommended for finding stable system..

Although I prefer LinX of all with problem size of 25000 (more than 4GB only).

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
Usually for me Prime95(4x) passes and IBT fails.

sukesh1090

Adam young

guys i tested it with both prime95 and occt and the test failed.
this are the pics of prime 95 @ 2940MHz and occt @ 3080MHz and windows problem report-

sukesh1090

Adam young

occt core2 and vcore pics-
guys can the bios upgrade cause any error because at first oc when i successfully oc to 3080MHz my bios version was p1.0 (default) then i updated my bios to p1.1 that is when it was down clocked to normal speed.and at that time the vcore in bios was 1.3v and now it is 1.23v and at that time when i oc it to 3080 the load vcore was 1.234v and now it is 1.18 for 3080.
BTW i ran the occt test for 40min @ 2940MHz and it was successful.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot

Okay here are the results after changing the QPI/DRAM Voltage to 1.28125V and keeping the CPU Voltage to 1.2625V, ran OCCT for 45 mins, Prime95 Stress Test was fine, (Max Temp reached- 64-63-61-58) and even ran IBT (changed the stress level to 'Maximum', others were untouched) and plaese also have a look at the first picture, which will show if RAM got OC'ed or not,

and I am also attaching some pics from my BIOS for the other settings which I haven't touched, so please have a look at this.
*img825.imageshack.us/img825/7175/photo0133cy.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
*img412.imageshack.us/img412/8148/photo0134te.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And Thanks to S_V to inform me about the DRAM Voltage and as to Topgear in advance.
Should I try and decrease the QPI/DRAM Voltage more to find where it gets stable or is 1.28125V OKAY?

I will like some comments about the above done tests. Are they fine or should I have to do some more modifications?

Regards.

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young

ok guys i got solved the problem. it was intel speed step enabled which was preventing the processor from getting enough power supply, i disabled it now and overclocked to 3107MHz while the full load voltage is 1.24v and passed the occt test of 2h 45m and here are its pics-
and can i overclock it more as still the temperature is 59C?

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young

when i increase the bus speed the RAM frequency should also increase know?when i increased the bus to 210 from 200 RAM increased to 420MHz and latency was 6-6-6-18 but when i increased bus to 222 RAM decreased to 369MHz and latency to 5-5-5-15.so do there will be any loss in RAM performance?
BTW somewhere i read that as latency decreased the performance increases.is it right?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ Intel chipset always maintains a ratio between cpu speed ( FSB ) and ram speed and that's why your ram speed is increasing/decreasing with the cpu speed ( FSB ). High end mobos have a option to manually select a ratio to fine tune ram speed but many low end mobos don't have such option. They automatically adjust the ratio.

Lower Latency does improve performance though not by a huge margin. Ram frequency plays a major role in speed and it mem performance scalng also depends upon cpu and chipset as well.

As in your case - your temps looks fine - as long as you can keep the cpu core temps under 70C you are good to go but keep in mind the upcoming summer season.

@ ithehappy - your voltages are fine. You can try lowering the qpi voltage a little bit though. Try disabling the speed step - it will help in stabilize the OC more.

Top Bottom