CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

sukesh1090

Adam young
re: CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

guys i again failed at 3220MHz occt ran for about 20min and system crashed and restarted.isn't that vcore of 1.248 will enough to run at that speed?is there anything else i can do to make it stable?
BTW in bios it shows vcore as 1.304 but it only gives 1.248 why is it so?

ithehappy

Human Spambot

@ ithehappy - your voltages are fine. You can try lowering the qpi voltage a little bit though. Try disabling the speed step - it will help in stabilize the OC more.
What is Speed Step? What does it do? Will try to turn it off and lowering the DRAM Voltage more and response back.
BTW- Are the Temperatures okay? In OCCT it didn't cross 70°C at 100% but it reached 71°C in IBT test.
Thanks and Regards.

S_V

In the zone

^^
Usually for me Prime95(4x) passes and IBT fails.

It could be lack of NB volt. I used that processor ,hell it OC's very well.. IBT uses more RAM than prime95 that's why it fails in IBT... Try to increase NB volts and see...

Should I try and decrease the QPI/DRAM Voltage more to find where it gets stable or is 1.28125V OKAY?

I will like some comments about the above done tests. Are they fine or should I have to do some more modifications?

Regards.

I think it's fine since you are not OC manually and just using CPU level up.. I think it need that QPI/DRAM Volts. If every settings changed manually with yours RAMS i think it can run with 1.26/27. But hey, not all hardware OC runs same..

Remeber one thing,, CPU volt and QPI/DRAM Voltage both directly effects CPU temps. so keep them under control.

you are using DRAM voltage setting auto..! Exactly what's the corsair spec volt on DIMMS?

Last edited:

S_V

In the zone

Little while back ,,Guys I achieved 4GHZ at just 1.19v and passed LinX 20 passes with massive problem size 25000... I had to turn off HT for that volt.... Still the Speed was awesome.... This test i did to enter OC club in famous forum..

Remeber LinX(Same code of IBT but very advanced stress) is the father of all Stress Softwares. Won't agree with me? Well then try it once...

check it,.....

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/sunil_9/My Rig/i7 800D/LinX20Times.jpg

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
Nice OC. Great.

ithehappy

Human Spambot

I think it's fine since you are not OC manually and just using CPU level up.. I think it need that QPI/DRAM Volts. If every settings changed manually with yours RAMS i think it can run with 1.26/27. But hey, not all hardware OC runs same..

Remeber one thing,, CPU volt and QPI/DRAM Voltage both directly effects CPU temps. so keep them under control.

you are using DRAM voltage setting auto..! Exactly what's the corsair spec volt on DIMMS?

It's 1.65 V. Congrats to you for OC'ing @ 1.19V. Did you do that manually?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

guys i again failed at 3220MHz occt ran for about 20min and system crashed and restarted.isn't that vcore of 1.248 will enough to run at that speed?is there anything else i can do to make it stable?
BTW in bios it shows vcore as 1.304 but it only gives 1.248 why is it so?

E5xxx series requires manual vcore tunning anything over 3GHz - you are lucky to get 3.1 GHz with your mobo and I think that's the limitation of your mobo.

if you somehow managed to alter your vcore settings manually you will be able to push your cpu speed more.

Are you getting 1.248V under full load while stress testing ? It it's so then it's for vdrop - drop of cpu voltage under full load is called vrop and every cpu does hae this - so there's not much to worry about it.

What is Speed Step? What does it do? Will try to turn it off and lowering the DRAM Voltage more and response back.
BTW- Are the Temperatures okay? In OCCT it didn't cross 70°C at 100% but it reached 71°C in IBT test.
Thanks and Regards.

SpeedStep is a trademark for a series of dynamic frequency scaling technologies (codenamed Geyserville[1] and including SpeedStep, SpeedStep II, and SpeedStep III) built into some Intel microprocessors that allow the clock speed of the processor to be dynamically changed (to different P-states) by software. This allows the processor to meet the instantaneous performance needs of the operation being performed, while minimizing power draw and heat dissipation

Read more

BTW, the temps are fine.

Little while back ,,Guys I achieved 4GHZ at just 1.19v and passed LinX 20 passes with massive problem size 25000... I had to turn off HT for that volt.... Still the Speed was awesome.... This test i did to enter OC club in famous forum..

Remeber LinX(Same code of IBT but very advanced stress) is the father of all Stress Softwares. Won't agree with me? Well then try it once...

check it,.....

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/sunil_9/My Rig/i7 800D/LinX20Times.jpg

Congrats ! - that's really awesome. I thought only SNB cpus can reach that much clock speed with such low vcore.

Yep, I agree with you - Tom's HW guys always use LinX for stress testing.

It would be great if you can spend a little bit more of your time and post your results in this format :

CPU :
Revision :
FSB X Multiplier :
Vcore Under Load :
Vcore at idle status in windows :
Vcore set in bios :
Cooler :
Additional notes If any :

Motherboard :
Chipset :
Bios Version :
Additional notes if any :

Ram :
Latency :
Volt ( set in bios ) :

Graphic Card :
GPU Clock:
Shader :
Mem :

Enlisted your awesome OC anyway.

@ sukesh1090 & ithehappy - guys let us know about your final OC settings ( the most stable one ) os that I can enlist your's as well.

sukesh1090

Adam young

k mine is 3150MHz,bus is 225 and multiplier 14 i passed the occt test for 1hr.
Are you getting 1.248V under full load while stress testing ? It it's so then it's for vdrop - drop of cpu voltage under full load is called vrop and every cpu does hae this - so there's not much to worry about it.
actually in bios it is written as 1.304v but while stress test it never went above 1.248 it just fluctuate between 1.248 and 1.23 at full load.that is why i asked why it is not going above that when mobo is providing 1.304?

S_V

In the zone

@topgear

Sure mate.. Once i reach room from Office.. I will post them later...

Thanks for the comments..

@ithehappy
Yes, i use manual settings always.. I never trust softwares or profiles to do OC becoz they use very high abnormal volts for stable and it's not good for PC life....

@sukesh1090

Take it positive... With your SMPS ,it's really not safe to play with volts like that.. you should consider Branded good SMPS then play with OC... It's just friendly suggestion only...

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young

Take it positive... With your SMPS ,it's really not safe to play with volts like that.. you should consider Branded good SMPS then play with OC... It's just friendly suggestion only..
do you think the difference in volt is caused due to smps?

ithehappy

Human Spambot

Guys I did some testing and got stable OC at VCore- 1.225V and QPI/DRAM- 1.2375V. It passed Prime95 test, though it gave a BSOD first time, but then after restarting I ran it twice and it was OK.

Here are some screenies from IBT (Max Stress, 10 times), OCCT and LinX(Real time, 10 times). Frankly I didn't feel LinX as a good stress testing software, because, it froze in an interval of 15 secs, and I didn't like the CPU stressing method as well. IMO, IBT and OCCT is far better.

Please comment about the results.

Thanks and Regards.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

k mine is 3150MHz,bus is 225 and multiplier 14 i passed the occt test for 1hr.

actually in bios it is written as 1.304v but while stress test it never went above 1.248 it just fluctuate between 1.248 and 1.23 at full load.that is why i asked why it is not going above that when mobo is providing 1.304?

Seems like your mobo has a huge vdrop and some mobos only support up to a certain limit of voltage thus limiting their OC potential.

it would be great if you can post your OC settings in the format mentioned above. Listed your OC.

Guys I did some testing and got stable OC at VCore- 1.225V and QPI/DRAM- 1.2375V. It passed Prime95 test, though it gave a BSOD first time, but then after restarting I ran it twice and it was OK.

Here are some screenies from IBT (Max Stress, 10 times), OCCT and LinX(Real time, 10 times). Frankly I didn't feel LinX as a good stress testing software, because, it froze in an interval of 15 secs, and I didn't like the CPU stressing method as well. IMO, IBT and OCCT is far better.

Please comment about the results.

Thanks and Regards.

That's great - Listed your OC.

it would be great if you can post your OC settings in the format mentioned above.

BTW, guys check out the first page - added cooler names.

@ asingh - it would be nice if you can make a post in here about your Q9550 OC so that I can link back to the post - listed your OC of Q9550 on the front page.

Last edited:

S_V

In the zone

@sukesh1090
No, Its not becoz of your SMPS the variations in Volts.. It's Vrdroop or LLC .

I am telling your SMPS can't hold OC like Branded SMPS. It might hurt your rig badly.

@Top Gear,

here it is mine.....

CPU : 4 GHZ (3.999)
Revision : D0
FSB X Multiplier : 190
Vcore Under Load : 1.89
Vcore at idle status in windows : 1.92
Vcore set in bios : 1.91
Cooler : H70 Hydro series
Additional notes If any : QPI/Dram Volts @ 1.2650, PLL @1.80, ICH PCI-E @1.5, ICH 1.2,IOH PCI-E 1.5,IOH 1.100V , HT off,.. Corsair HX620 watts

Motherboard : ASUS P6X58D-E
Chipset : X58
Bios Version : 0405
Additional notes if any : Disabled SpeedStep, Disabled C1E, Disabled TM, Xtraphase power Enabled, Both Spectrum Disabled, Delay 800ps, 300ps, LLC Enabled for Vdroop

Ram : 6GB
Latency : 99924,
Volt ( set in bios ) : 1.64
Additional notes if any : Command Rate @1T, DRAM @1520mhz,

Graphic Card : EVGA GTX 470
GPU Clock: Stock
Shader :
Mem : 1280 MB

Additional notes if any : This OC i achieved when I am using the above Spec.. Now There are major updates and running different OC.. RAMS,Video card, SMPS are updated in present Rig which you can check from my SIG...

Have a nice day,, ALL of you,,

I am going to post my Benchmarks soon with screenshots .Mostly will create new thread..

@ithehappy
Everyone got their own opinion. so it's not a big deal.. So what you feel is better, follow that... Anyways... Nice OC...

Last edited:
OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ thanks for posting the details.

sukesh1090

Adam young

CPU :Intel pentium dual core E5500
Revision :R0
FSB X Multiplier :14
Vcore Under Load :1.248
Vcore at idle status in windows :1.104
Vcore set in bios :1.304
Cooler : cooler provided by intel with processor(don't know model and other)
Additional notes If any :

Motherboard :Asrock G31M-VS2
Chipset : intel P35/G33/G31
Bios Version : P1.10 (american megatrends inc.)

Ram : DDR2 800MHz 1GB oc to 900MHz
Latency :6-6-6-18
Volt ( set in bios ) : 1.80V

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ thanks ...

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Here goes mine :

CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 3.7 GHz ( 3696 Mhz )
Revision : C2
FSB X Multiplier : 264*14
Vcore Under Load : 1.488
Vcore at idle status in windows : 1.18
Vcore set in bios : 1.5
Cooler : CM Hyper 212
Additional notes If any : HT is running at 2376 Mhz

Motherboard : Gigabyte MA-785GM-US2H
Chipset : AMD 785G
Bios Version : F11
Additional notes if any : NB is running at 2376 Mhz, NB volt is 1.200V, CPU NB VID is 1.2000V

Ram : DDR2 800 Mhz @ 880 MHz
Latency : 5-5-5-15
Volt ( set in bios ) : 1.900
Additional notes if any : Set mem clock ( FSB * 3.33 )

Graphic Card : Palit 9600GT
GPU Clock: 765 MHz
Shader : 1912 MHz
Mem : 925 Mhz
Additional notes if any : OCed using EVGA Prescion

Pictures :

Here's Athlon II X4 630 at 3.7 Ghz :

*i54.tinypic.com/2cly6g.png

Memory Speed :

*i53.tinypic.com/2uesokz.png

Cool 'n' Quiet :

*i52.tinypic.com/107uzo8.jpg

Load Test ( OCCT 1 hour )

*i51.tinypic.com/10ctao6.png *i56.tinypic.com/15ft37d.png *i55.tinypic.com/296n8lj.png *i52.tinypic.com/9qa1bp.png

Temps Idle :

*i51.tinypic.com/2m4eibb.png

Last edited:

S_V

In the zone

Nice oC.

what's the Winrar Score you get with OC RAM?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ Thanks.

I'll run a winrar benchmark test and let you know.