CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Re: CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

Can somebody lend me his D14 please :p. I'm unable to gather enough willpower to buy one right now.

When you are just overclocking there's a huge difference between 4.8 GHz & 5 GHz. ;)

Agreed... and SB@5GHz will be as good as IB@4.8GHz.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't buy. You are not going to get 2x cooling or 2x overclocking by spending 2x over your present setup. ;)

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

clocks very bad on air.....4.8Ghz...u efffin kiddin me?

my ES is pretty bad :|
in SB i could go 5.2Ghz

IB cpus ain't great OCers on Air - it's a known fact but you need less voltage to get ~4.8Ghz compared to SB cpus.

Now talking about OC where even a single Mhz counts to set record things like this really matters greatly.

IDk but my bulldozer goes upto 5.0 on my HyperX 212

care to share this with more details here ??

somebodysme

Journeyman
I was playing Battlefield 3 yesterday, everything maxed(Ultra). Game was running smooth most of the time. But sometime in middle it stucked for like some milliseconds. And when I checked my processor temp it was 84C. My H80 went for RAM so have reference cooler now. But 84C is too much. I didn't overclocked my CPU, but voltage was set to 1.47V by BIOS. So, I changed the voltage to 1.3V.

Can anyone tell me, is i7 2600k runs this hot with reference cooler at stock speed.
And what should be core voltage.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Room temp ? Check ventilation inside cabinet. Might want to redo the thermal paste.
My 2600k, with stock cooler, does a max of 60-61.

somebodysme

Journeyman
Room temp ? Check ventilation inside cabinet. Might want to redo the thermal paste.
My 2600k, with stock cooler, does a max of 60-61.

I thought so. I didn't cleaned the previously applied thermal paste. I didn't had tools to clean it
at whats core voltage you are running proc.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think with that much voltage Op can easily hit 4.9-5 Ghz ;-) but seriously why would OP need so much voltage to run the cpu at stock speed ? I think for stock speed 1.2v is enough.

somebodysme

Journeyman

1.47v for 2600K? that's too high dude....
Yup it was freaking high and used to get too much overheated.

I think with that much voltage Op can easily hit 4.9-5 Ghz ;-) but seriously why would OP need so much voltage to run the cpu at stock speed ? I think for stock speed 1.2v is enough.
Day before that I made a bios update. That might have caused that.
I never went above 1.35V for 4.8Ghz overclock.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Tried my hand in OC'ing yesterday after a long time as a part of testing out asrock board.
Processor: 2500K @4.9Ghz vcore: 1.34V crushed at last. @4.7GHz vcore: 1.32V (previously stable)
Cooler: hyper 212 evo push pull. :p
motherboard: asrock z77 extreme 6 (llc-1) [note: llc2 is problematic, llc3 is descent, llc4,5 are good)] BIOS rev: 2.0
max temp: 71C
ambient: 20C
p95 stable after running for 9 hours.

Yet to test out that 2500k with h100 & d14.
Looks like I got a good chip. :|

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

This is the max teh so called Hyper 212 evo (no push pull, single fan) + extreme6 can do:
*imageshack.us/a/img545/4157/umambient34.png
Ambient: 34C
Bad performance.

:facepalm:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice OC. Can't say the same about the temps though. That CPU seems capable of more.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

I mean pathetic LLC.

That's why extreme 4,6 should be avoided and shouldn't be suggested.

MegaMind

Human Spambot

This is the max teh so called Hyper 212 evo (no push pull, single fan) + extreme6 can do:
*imageshack.us/a/img545/4157/umambient34.png
Ambient: 34C
Bad performance.

:facepalm:

If you can get it stable @4.7GHz with 1.33v, your chip can do some serious OCing.. And the temps are fine BTW(for a hyper 212 @34C amb.)..

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Its actually 1.32V. I can see the voltage flactuation in cpu-z, which must be due to bad motherboard, and it doesn't happen with any asus board I have.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you are going to test the 2500k using H100 and D14 - on this 'crappy' Asrock mobo or you will use some good Asus mobo ??

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
you are going to test the 2500k using H100 and D14 - on this 'crappy' Asrock mobo or you will use some good Asus mobo ??

Umm, I'm planning to give this board to sumonpathak for testing. Testing & comparing results of different mobo isn't my field.

Top Bottom