Cpu,mobo,ram

abhidev

Human Spambot
I already hv a cabinet, GPU,PSU and monitor and just wanna upgrade my CpU,MOBO and RAM for some hardcore gaming as i m losing a lot on fps on my current config.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:Gaming(mostly), video encoding
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:I would prefer products from Intel(procc), ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte(Mobo) and Corsair,Transcend(RAM)
3. What is your MAX budget?
A:25k
4. Planning to overclock?
A:probably not,but would be good if it can be overclocked
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:windows 7
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:currently hv 500 gb. HDD is optional
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A:Already hv a LG HD monitor 21.5 inch
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:5
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:Will be built by me
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:within the next 3 months
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:yes
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:I just want CPU,MOBO and Ram
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:Based in Mumbai

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Intel i5 760 @ 10
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P @ 11.5
Corsair / GSkill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 4
TOTAL 25.5k

Sandybridge will probably come in three(or 4) months. Highly recommend waiting for that.

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
Nice suggestion!!
OFFTOPIC :
Whats with the high pricing of i5 & i7 MoBos?I mean 10k procc but 1.5k more than that for the MoBo.Manufacturers should try & lower the price of MoBos a bit!!

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
^^agreed..the pricing of the mobo should be like their AMD counterparts..

@op go with ishu's config..u can also change the mobo to MSI P55 gd65 @8k and buy a seagate 1tb with the remaining 3k or wd caviar black 500 gb..
The mobo is very good and it does good OCing..

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i suggest a phenom 1090t. though its slightly behind i5 760 in gaming but its price of 11.5k is utmost vfm and its more futureproof. the mobo i mentioned is a good ocer and one of the best 890gx performers..

AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 11.5k
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H @ 8.2k
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws CL7 @ 4.7k

Total - 24.4k

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
i suggest a phenom 1090t. though its slightly behind i5 760 in gaming but its price of 11.5k is utmost vfm and its more futureproof. the mobo i mentioned is a good ocer and one of the best 890gx performers..

AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 11.5k
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H @ 8.2k
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws CL7 @ 4.7k

Total - 24.4k

Hey thanx for the reply but as i hv never used amd products other than a graphics card, m bit hesitant abt it. i would prefer Intel i series. Also whats vfm?:?

Also i have seen some reviews for the motherboards in which gigabyte was a clear winner coz it gvs the same performance and also is cheaper than the other mobos.

Intel i5 760 @ 10
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P @ 11.5
Corsair / GSkill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 4
TOTAL 25.5k

Sandybridge will probably come in three(or 4) months. Highly recommend waiting for that.

how abt i7 920...is it worth the money or the same i5 760 can level with it?

Never heard of GSkill....which one is better as per the performance and warranty?
I hv also heard of some RAMS with lifetime warranty...do they really exist?

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
VFM - value for money.
AMD has no probs..most of the members use it and it works great..dont worry.
ya, giga one is cheaper than boards like ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and offers somewhat better performance.

avoid transcend rams. g.skill is very good.

Last edited:

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
how abt i7 920...is it worth the money or the same i5 760 can level with it?

Never heard of GSkill....which one is better as per the performance and warranty?
I hv also heard of some RAMS with lifetime warranty...do they really exist?
lifetime warranty is a myth i guess..
920 is slightly better than 760 owing to the fact that it supports hyper threading..
But when it comes to gaming 760 rules and games are nt affected by HT..
Also if you go with 920 u will have to buy a 1366 chipset mobo which starts at 11k..

Go with
i5 760 @10k
msi p55gd65 @8k
gskill 4gb ddr3 1600 @4.7k
and team it up with hyper 212 plus cpu cooler @1.8k..
U can easily manage to overclock ur cpu to 4ghz with this cooler and that speed beats anything in competition..

U say 3 months, right?
U can wait for sandy bridge as ishu suggested and then maybe the prices will fall down further and u will have more options..

Last edited:
OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
hey guys check this out...

Theitdepot - Compare

whats sandy bridge...another family of processors from intel huh?

also i5 960???:?

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
i hope you mean i5 760 and not i7 960
oops...obviously..currently on mobile
@abhidev
Sandy bridge is the new batch coming in Q1 2011..it has 32nm architecture..and when it will come the prices of the current batch will fall..

@abhidev
how much did u get the haf 922 for?

@abhidev

Last edited:
OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
oops...obviously..currently on mobile
@abhidev
Sandy bridge is the new batch coming in Q1 2011..it has 32nm architecture..and when it will come the prices of the current batch will fall..

@abhidev

@abhidev

Are these goin to be much better than the current ones??

got haf 922 for 6.5k

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Looks like.
We can't realy know for before they are launched, but the pre-release review have been good. Seems like a big update.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Thanx..they will surely be better..but costly too..
However not all of d sandy bridge batch will be released now some will be released later..
Even if u go with the before mentioned rig now it will be future proof..

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
Guys check this out....The Sandy Bridge Preview - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Also i was thinking to go with i7...and did u guys check the compare link i hv posted. Please review the same and post ur suggestions.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
To go with an i7 9** u will have to increase ur budget to more than 30k..
As i said earlier that 920 is not the best at gaming..
If going for i7
i7 950 @15k
1366 mobo gigabyte/
asus @13k
ram mentioned earlier @4.7k

if u are keen on an i7
i7 860 @15k
rest go with the config in the above posts..

jking

Broken In
In case of RAM take 2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz. Choose from following 3 brands as all 3 are good. OCZ,Corsair,GSkill.

Top Bottom